Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,802

1 members and 2,801 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Kittens For Food?

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    You most definitely do NOT want this to happen !!!

As is, there are certain pet food manufactures that will buy rendered meat containing euthanized pets (and horses). Many dogs have died, because the euthanasia drugs were in the food. Not to mention the many other drugs in many pets (they get steroids, pain meds and some pretty hardcore stuff).
    Considering the kind of revenue that could be generated where there was none before I cannot see how it would be too difficult to rectify your concerns.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Just chiming in as a cat owner (we have 7, 6 of which were rescues, all of which are 100% indoor cats unless on a harness and actively supervised) - ......
    I just don't think it's fair to generalize cat owners, just like it's not fair to generalize reptile keepers.
    You do realize though that you are one of a tiny minority of cat owners. As far as generalizing cat owners, at some point the sheer numbers of loose
    & feral cats speak for themselves. I'm sorry if generalizing seems unfair to you, but I don't have cats...so why do different ones keep showing up on my
    property? If this happened with reptiles or ANY other pets, you can bet it would be stereotyped, because it's what we see everyday with our own eyes.
    Dogs shouldn't be running loose either, but around here at least, they are very very rare...usually a temporary escaped pet. One big difference is that
    a loose dog doesn't jump over your 6' fence & mess with your back yard like cats do routinely.

I don't hate cats...but I'm not too warm & fuzzy about most cat owners. I used to cat-sit for a neighbor that had to travel occasionally...her cat was a
    total indoor cat, with a litter box in her garage thru the kitty-door, a self-waterer & self-feeder. My 'job' was just to hang out for a while, so her cat
    wasn't lonely. I've seen other responsible cat owners that have a large outdoor "cage" so their cat can be outdoors, weather permitting: like an aviary,
    only for their cat, with a roof overhead, an enclosed area within for shelter/warmth, toys & things to climb, & a litter box & food/water, of course. But
    again, those are the exceptions. I'm tired of seeing cats kill birds & reptiles all over the place...those that are pets, most do it for fun, those that are
    feral are hungry, but they aren't native wildlife so they have no business being out there to begin with.

I have dogs & every house I've lived in, I've put up a secure fence for my dogs. It's what you do when you have pets, you do whatever it takes to contain
    them to your property...otherwise they aren't "pets", they're a public nuisance animal. The numbers speak for themselves, but thank you for being one of
    the good cat owners.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

When I am lamenting about cat owners that are irresponsible and add to the problem, I'm not talking about the great ones that keep their cats from becoming a nuisance.

Thank God there are many awesome cat owners as well.

But unfortunately there are many that will never change their mind or ways and will continue to get more cats and let them roam.

To the ones on this thread that are responsible cat owners. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-29-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    Considering the kind of revenue that could be generated where there was none before I cannot see how it would be too difficult to rectify your concerns.
    I don't see how? There is no way to know which drugs are in any given animal at a shelter. Unless you do very precise and expensive blood tests, the cost for that lab work, vet work and housing while waiting on results make this venue anything but cost effective.

Going back to gassing all animals will not get approved. It is a cruel and unreliable method of putting them down. So you will have euthanasia drugs to worry about as well.

Many or most former pets that end up put down at shelters are already rendered and put into pet food. And nothing good has come out of that other then sick and dying pets.

Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2018),MissterDog (05-29-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I don't see how? There is no way to know which drugs are in any given animal at a shelter. Unless you do very precise and expensive blood tests, the cost for that lab work, vet work and housing while waiting on results make this venue anything but cost effective.

Going back to gassing all animals will not get approved. It is a cruel and unreliable method of putting them down. So you will have euthanasia drugs to worry about as well.

Many or most former pets that end up put down at shelters are already rendered and put into pet food. And nothing good has come out of that other then sick and dying pets.

Drugs have a specific half life, meaning a set amount of time it remains in the animals system before it is no longer there or effective. On top of that the animals (speculating here) would not need to tested individually, they could test batches of processed meat.
    As for gassing being inhumane, it is humane enough for feeder rodents and it is far more humane than being eaten alive by a predator (nature's way). Trying to say there is a difference between gassing a rat and gassing a cat is nothing more than anthropomorphizing.
    Last edited by enginee837; 05-29-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

Valyrian (05-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Um, have you ever had a pet rat? I have had quite a few actually, before I ever got into snakes. Rats are smart & trainable (comparable to dogs & cats!)
    & even affectionate at times. I can't speak for rabbits, as I've never kept them, but I like & have raised many hamsters too (Russian dwarf, that is...they
    are social, while the Syrian hamsters are not). Hamsters don't have quite the smarts that rats do, they're just "cuter". But don't make assumptions, ok???

This discussion was started on cats because of the overwhelming numbers that shelters can no longer manage, as the OP explained. Similar situation for
    dogs, sadly & to our disgrace as a nation of "animal lovers". This is NOT an attempt to "throw the kitten in..." despite the thread title.
    We really gonna compare cats to rats? That’s just ridiculous. Sorry rat lovers but I don’t really care tbh. No assumptions were made just facts. Why don’t we just release the sheltered cats into the wild and let nature take its course instead of capturing them and killing them. Imagine if stupid people didn’t release their pets into the wild how many lives that would save. Don’t mean to go off track just thought I’d make that point. IMO cats are pets not food regardless of if it’s dead or not. I’d bury my cat before I feed it to any snake. Just the thought that anyone would think about that deeply disturbs me!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to highqualityballz For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    Drugs have a specific half life, meaning a set amount of time it remains in the animals system before it is no longer there or effective. On top of that the animals (speculating here) would not need to tested individually, they could test batches of processed meat.
    As for gassing being inhumane, it is humane enough for feeder rodents and it is far more humane than being eaten alive by a predator (nature's way). Trying to say there is a difference between gassing a rat and gassing a cat is nothing more than anthropomorphizing.
    Yes, they do. Some longer then others. Again, how would one know, though ?

Testing a batch? Those batches are HUGE. And they can't just stop production and leave a huge batch of rendered meat sitting there while performing all kinds of tests ,sending them off to labs and waiting on results. On top of that, if they come back positive for drugs (which they probably will in some form or another) they would have to dispose of a huge batch of rendered meat. And where to ? A logistical nightmare and it would be far cheaper to simply use animals raised for consumption. The only reason they collect euthanized pets is because they get them for next to nothing.

It is not anthropomorphizing to say gassing rodents or cats is different. Noone is attributing human form or personalities onto either those cats or rodents. What it is is "choosing" one animal as being more of a pet then another.

And that is simply human nature. Certain animals have become dear to us as companions. Is it fair? Is it right? Doesn't matter in this case, you will never, ever have it passed to gas shelter animals so they can be used in pet food. Gassing is actually more expensive and for whatever reason it seems to take dogs and cats much longer to die during gassing then it does rodents. They also stress, panic and fight and sometimes survive. The rodents I've seen put down with CO2 seemed to go down rather peacefully. Why? I don't know.
    Zina

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-30-2018),MissterDog (05-30-2018)

Thanks
    I am a cat owner and keep my cat indoors also. I have had "discussions" with a few old-school cat owners who just have to let their cats roam free because it is "cruel" to let them stay outdoors. Recently, one of those owners was unable to find their indoor/outdoor cat and finally came to the conclusion that he had died or been killed... Now their new cat stays indoors.

I think it will take a change in leash laws (like with dogs) for cat owners to start keeping them indoors. In our neighborhood, there are several indoor/outdoor cats and possibly ferals. A neighbor behind us has a red tabby that he lets roam and this cat often cuts though our yard. He has ever come up to our house and stared into a window distressing our cat. That has only happened once. I have planed to contact the shelter and trap him if it happens again...The owner can go down to the pound to retrieve him IMO if he is going to distress our pet.

IMO people won't change unless they are made to. Out in the county near my town, they have issues with roaming dogs because there are no leash laws. People complain about being attacked by groups of roaming / feral dogs. I think it would be the same in the city if there was no leash law on the books. I just hope they apply the same to cats. They really do damage not only to native wildlife, but also put a risk of exposure to toxoplasmosis, etc. We have a feral that consistently sprays someone's mailbox at the top of our street...Whenever we go for walks, etc. we have to pass the area and it reeks...It is obviously an unaltered cat, probably male. You can smell this stuff maybe 30-40 feet away so I have no idea how those home owners tolerate it.

As far as dealing with the root problem, I think there will always be irresponsible owners. Lord knows we see that enough in our hobby, so I'm assuming the percentage of bad owners of cats is probably the same, there's just more of them. I think widespread trapping of strays, ferals, and cats that have just been let outdoors would probably help. If that was done, and people had to go to the pound and pay a fine to get their indoor/outdoor cat, they'd stop letting them outside.

I'm also for euthanizing feral cats... Those brought into the shelter or found outdoors. Most ferals won't tame down to make good pets anyway and many have a lot of health issues. My cat was found as a feral kitten at 4 weeks which is the threshold for domesticating them. He has turned out to be a great cat, but I spent hundreds on worming, medications, vaccinations, and treatments for respiratory infection, etc. I know our local shelter is full of older captured ferals that don't like people and will not easily acclimate to being captive pets.

Now, back to the original thread topic. IMO, the only way this could work, would be if you had kittens that were born in a shelter. Let's say the mom was feral, had been treated for disease, and time had passed before the kittens were born. The kittens then were not medicated, but were euthanized via gassing. IMO that could work, but the one issue I would see would be parasites or others that could be transferred to the babies (i.e. like worms in puppies) and whether or not those could be dealt with with out medication that would harm a reptile. That said, kittens sell fast at shelters, so they might not willingly give up the animals that place the easiest and raise the most funds.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Alicia (05-31-2018),Bogertophis (05-30-2018),zina10 (05-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    For any PETA investigators lurking this thread, I think you can relax now...we're pretty much beaten this idea into the ground as NOT a good idea,
    and not workable on SO many levels.

Thanks

I would definitely do it. Cats are the most destructive of all invasive species and have caused the extinction of many indigenous species. Plus they can carry a lot of communicable viruses.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 05-30-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast