Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 858

2 members and 856 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Switching Day/Night Cycle

Just a conversation Thread.
    The way it goes in my household which I imagine goes in everyone's household, when the humans are awake, the snakes are usually asleep and then vise versa.

Curious if anyone has ever picked up a snake with the same sleep schedule as themselves. For example, if you're in LA, when you're awake, a snake in Africa is also awake. Has anyone ever picked up a snake from Africa, brought it back here and it was awake when they were or do they naturally switch their sleep habits based on the amount of light?

Has anyone ever purposely switched or tried to switch their snakes sleep pattern to match your own?

My guess on how to do it would be, when you're awake, you have them in a seperate room that's completely dark, with just a midnight light to view them and then when you go to sleep, you turn on all their lights to replicate day time.

Just curious.
    ~We Don't Have To Agree On Anything To Be Kind To One Another~

Thanks

Re: Switching Day/Night Cycle

One of my BP's is awake throughout the daytime, she lays with her head just outside of her hide and watches life. You know shes awake because she'll track you when checking on her. Idk about changing their habits on purpose though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    I make sure my BP's lights turn off at 7-ish with a timer, and I don't go to sleep until way later than that. It's more for me than it is for her tbh.

If you wanted a snake that's awake when you are, maybe a diurnal snake would be something to consider? That way you don't have to interrupt their activity by turning on the lights when you want to see them out and about.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2018),Russtix (05-25-2018)

Thanks
    I personally have a Carpet Python so I see plenty of movement through out the day. She roams outside of her cage almost daily, either inside the house or the backyard. But sometimes I feel bad at night when I know she wants out but It's the middle of the night. So that just got me thinking about the whole day/night cycle and if anyone's ever played with it.

I have no intentions of doing such, just more conversation than anything.
    ~We Don't Have To Agree On Anything To Be Kind To One Another~

Thanks
    Thanked 19,790 Times in 11,825 Posts
    As far as imported snakes staying on their former day/night cycle, I think they'd adapt based on the amount of light. For the first couple days, they
    probably feel as crummy (& maybe even cranky?) as we do when our sleep is screwed up.

I've never deliberately tried to change their sleep cycles, & I'm kind of a night person anyway, so we're good. I think you could definitely change
    their natural schedule if you really controlled the light in the room they're kept in.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-25-2018 at 11:06 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CottonMouth (05-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Switching Day/Night Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by CottonMouth View Post
    I personally have a Carpet Python so I see plenty of movement through out the day. She roams outside of her cage almost daily, either inside the house or the backyard. But sometimes I feel bad at night when I know she wants out but It's the middle of the night. So that just got me thinking about the whole day/night cycle and if anyone's ever played with it.

I have no intentions of doing such, just more conversation than anything.
    That was the primary reason I got a Carpet Python, i feel like they're the perfect snake. They display nicely, are intimidating but handle well, easy to upkeep, and are just all around perfect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk