Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

1 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

New digs and takes a rat within 30 mins

Feeling pretty good tonight. Got the new AP T10 on Tuesday and took a couple nights setting it up and getting everything dialed in. Put Chiquita in it this evening and she immediately began exploring every inch. Within 30 mins I offered her dinner and she took the rat right away, explored a bit more and settled into her hide on the warm side. Wasn't exactly a plan but I am going out of town tomorrow and had her new home ready and had already thawed the rat. I really didn't expect her to eat but went ahead and gave it a shot since she always seems to be hungry.

I'm taking that as a good sign. Got a Herpstat 4 controlling the heat mat, RHP and also the humidity if needed. Feel pretty comfortable leaving her with the rest of the family for a few days. Got the alarms all set just in case something goes out of whack.

It took right at 16 weeks for the T10, so I couldn't wait to get it set up once it got here. Still want to get some more fake greenery for it but there are plenty of hides and plenty of water. I also got the basking shelf since she likes to climb a lot and that was one of the first places she went. She is always exploring so now she has plenty of room to roam.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Hey, that's awesome! I'd take that as a "sign of approval" for sure.

Thanks

Re: New digs and takes a rat within 30 mins

Quote Originally Posted by slseals1969 View Post
    Feeling pretty good tonight. Got the new AP T10 on Tuesday and took a couple nights setting it up and getting everything dialed in. Put Chiquita in it this evening and she immediately began exploring every inch. Within 30 mins I offered her dinner and she took the rat right away, explored a bit more and settled into her hide on the warm side. Wasn't exactly a plan but I am going out of town tomorrow and had her new home ready and had already thawed the rat. I really didn't expect her to eat but went ahead and gave it a shot since she always seems to be hungry.

I'm taking that as a good sign. Got a Herpstat 4 controlling the heat mat, RHP and also the humidity if needed. Feel pretty comfortable leaving her with the rest of the family for a few days. Got the alarms all set just in case something goes out of whack.

It took right at 16 weeks for the T10, so I couldn't wait to get it set up once it got here. Still want to get some more fake greenery for it but there are plenty of hides and plenty of water. I also got the basking shelf since she likes to climb a lot and that was one of the first places she went. She is always exploring so now she has plenty of room to roam.

I just got my AP T10 on Wednesday and put most of it together (minus the glass doors and sealant). Did it take you awhile to dial in the RHP? I haven't played with mine yet so I'm hoping it's pretty straight forward. Please share some pictures if you have some. Also, how big is your BP?

Thanks

Actually it didn't take much time at all. With my old cheap thermostat and glass tank with the probe attached outside of the RHP, I had to set the thermostat higher to get 90 degrees. I started out higher on the Herpstat but after a few adjustments it's sitting dead on 90 and the floor of the cage sits at 90 +/- about 0.3 degrees. I wanted to take some pics last night but was too busy watching her explore, double checking temps etc and packing for my trip. May not get to that today. Everything is a little dusty from breaking up the coco bedding.

It's been a while since I weighed her. She has to be well over 300g now. She is about 10 months old. When she completely stretches out she was longer than the length of the 20 gal tank she was in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slseals1969 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-25-2018)

Thanks
    I was thinking about maybe getting the T8 myself, do you guys think the extra 3in on the height is worth paying the extra amount for? Also, what accessories did you guys get with yours? I want to get Paarthurnax a nice setup, since he will probably be my only snake for a long time.

Edit: Couple of things, Lighting wise, do most go flourecent or LED? Also, is the heat tape that can be ordered along with it (For $35) installed in a specific way, or would I be able to buy it for cheaper on Reptile Basics and install it myself?

Apologies for all the questions, i'm new to having a cage like this instead of just a plastic tub.
    Last edited by Slicercrush; 05-25-2018 at 11:34 AM.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    I was thinking about maybe getting the T8 myself, do you guys think the extra 3in on the height is worth paying the extra amount for? Also, what accessories did you guys get with yours? I want to get Paarthurnax a nice setup, since he will probably be my only snake for a long time.

Edit: Couple of things, Lighting wise, do most go flourecent or LED? Also, is the heat tape that can be ordered along with it (For $35) installed in a specific way, or would I be able to buy it for cheaper on Reptile Basics and install it myself?

Apologies for all the questions, i'm new to having a cage like this instead of just a plastic tub.
    I've heard the extra 3 inches pays off when you need to clean the enclosure but be ready to wait 16 weeks to get the enclosure (I believe the T8 is available via Quick Ship).

I had an RHP sent to AP for them to install. Also opted for the glass doors w/ lock and the LED lights. I was a little surprised the LED lights did not come w/ a switch. You basically have to plug/unplug the cord to turn them on/off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I've heard the extra 3 inches pays off when you need to clean the enclosure but be ready to wait 16 weeks to get the enclosure (I believe the T8 is available via Quick Ship).

I had an RHP sent to AP for them to install. Also opted for the glass doors w/ lock and the LED lights. I was a little surprised the LED lights did not come w/ a switch. You basically have to plug/unplug the cord to turn them on/off.
    This seems like it'll be a lot of waiting, considering i'll be saving for the next few weeks to get it, lol. Hopefully ill have it by October at that rate. Whats an RHP?
    Last edited by Slicercrush; 05-25-2018 at 11:48 AM.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

This seems like it'll be a lot of waiting, considering i'll be saving for the next few weeks to get it, lol. Hopefully ill have it by October at that rate. Whats an RHP?
    Radient Heat Panel. It's one of the recommended ways to heat a PVC enclosure. Most use this as the sole way of heating the enclosure. Others use a combination of an RHP and a UTH.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Radient Heat Panel. It's one of the recommended ways to heat a PVC enclosure. Most use this as the sole way of heating the enclosure. Others use a combination of an RHP and a UTH.
    Ill have to check it out. Im guessing the heattape is much less efficient when it comes to pvc? Also, could you maybe link me in the right direction? Im super curious now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Slicercrush; 05-25-2018 at 12:45 PM.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Ill have to check it out. Im guessing the heattape is much less efficient when it comes to pvc? Also, could you maybe link me in the right direction? Im super curious now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Others can correct me if I mispeak, but I believe heat tape will only provide you w/ belly heat whereas an RHP will help both the ambient temps and provide the ability to create a hotspot.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast