Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,005

2 members and 3,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Why did you choose not to breed?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • My animals are pets only.

21 38.18%
  • No need.

6 10.91%
  • Cost and quality of husbandry.

5 9.09%
  • Feeding cost.

3 5.45%
  • Might one day breed.

13 23.64%
  • I am breeding.

14 25.45%
  • Other

3 5.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: So I have decieded not to breed. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    All very good points. I wonder if there are some snakes that can have issues if they don't breed?

None that I know of specifically, but certainly some individuals can.

See my post: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ion-about-eggs
    (regarding my late rosy boa)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-24-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I am a breeder. I can relate to all of the pros and cons of both decisions. There is no right or wrong in any case as its up to the individual to make the decision that's right for him or her. It's important to educate yourself in the aspects of keeping and breeding snakes, geckos, leechies, mice, rats and or whatever animal/s you are considering. It helps to study the market as well so you are breeding a species, morph, animal that has a demand. Most of all, there should be a passion to do it and or some aspect that is heart driven and interesting about the breeding. For me, it's the unparalleled sense of accomplishment in being sucessful with the eggs, babies of the species. It's a attitude also though, that is also needed to be sucessful that must accompany the passion. You can't be concerned too much about the cons of breeding but focus instead on the pros. Reptile reproduction truly never gets old especially on the "conservation" level. Good luck on whatever decision you stay with.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Alicia (05-24-2018),Alter-Echo (05-27-2018),Bogertophis (05-24-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-25-2018),dr del (05-27-2018),monty_python9 (06-02-2018),Reinz (05-28-2018),richardhind1972 (05-24-2018),Skyrivers (05-24-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (05-24-2018),zina10 (05-24-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I am considering breeding my tortoises and possibly my Bp once each. I'm only considering doing so because I'm defaulting to assuming that I wont be able to rehome any offspring. If I cant rehome or sell any of them then I will just have larger collections of those species. Planning for the worst case scenario and using that as a basis seems reasonable.

I should mention that my tortoises are covered by CITES so anyone who legally wants to purchase one has to get paperwork showing they were bred in the country. If I do breed them then I'm providing a legal source of pets for other people and hopefully can reduce the number of animals being removed from the wild. This is an aspect about breeding that hasn't been mentioned yet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vipera Berus For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vipera Berus View Post
    I should mention that my tortoises are covered by CITES so anyone who legally wants to purchase one has to get paperwork showing they were bred in the country. If I do breed them then I'm providing a legal source of pets for other people and hopefully can reduce the number of animals being removed from the wild. This is an aspect about breeding that hasn't been mentioned yet.
    Correct and it's why I want to breed my savu pythons and dumerils boas. Unfortunately the populations of both species are taking a beating in the wild, and one day the captive specimens may be all that are left.

Thanks

Jumping off the "Breeding Bandwagon"

I don't breed my lizards simply because I feel that too much of the reptile hobby has become obsessed with breeding. I am not against selective breeding, like in order to preserve a species that is critically endangered in the wild. No, what I am talking about is EVERYONE jumping on the "breeding bandwagon" and muddling the gene pool just because the hobby is dictating breed breed breed!!! There's a favorite meme of mine that says: Little Known Fact: It is Possible To Enjoy Keeping Reptiles Without Breeding Them.

Reptiles are still seen in such a negative light by people that I think education needs to be emphasized even more so than breeding. But to each their own.

Just my .02
    Rant over
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by monty_python9; 06-02-2018 at 07:29 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to monty_python9 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I think is wonderful that people breed for the right reasons. I am grateful for the people who breed the snakes I currently have and made them accessible and cheaper to own. I also love that people breed for repopulation of endangered species. It was a personal choice for me not to. I think for me it would limit the amount of different species I could own. I would be so picky with the offspring and who received them that I would just wind up keeping them. I have to admit that having the experience just once would be both educational and rewarding.

Thanks for everyone for taking part in this discussion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-04-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Jumping off the "Breeding Bandwagon"

Quote Originally Posted by monty_python9 View Post
    I don't breed my lizards simply because I feel that too much of the reptile hobby has become obsessed with breeding. I am not against selective breeding, like in order to preserve a species that is critically endangered in the wild. No, what I am talking about is EVERYONE jumping on the "breeding bandwagon" and muddling the gene pool just because the hobby is dictating breed breed breed!!! There's a favorite meme of mine that says: Little Known Fact: It is Possible To Enjoy Keeping Reptiles Without Breeding Them.

Reptiles are still seen in such a negative light by people that I think education needs to be emphasized even more so than breeding. But to each their own.

Just my .02
    Rant over
    Thanks guys
    Well said

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

monty_python9 (08-03-2018)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345