Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,789

1 members and 2,788 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Why did you choose not to breed?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • My animals are pets only.

21 38.18%
  • No need.

6 10.91%
  • Cost and quality of husbandry.

5 9.09%
  • Feeding cost.

3 5.45%
  • Might one day breed.

13 23.64%
  • I am breeding.

14 25.45%
  • Other

3 5.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: So I have decieded not to breed. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    For many years I've done my best to educate others about snakes...all kinds of snakes & in many venues. As Skyrivers said, the feeling of seeing so
    many people who've always feared or "hated" snakes, actually change their minds when they can safely meet some of mine...it's priceless. So for me,
    that's my preferred way to contribute...not by breeding more, but making sure that the snakes we have in the wild, as well as the ones people choose
    to keep as pets, are respected, valued & properly cared for. Doesn't matter what age, little children to grandparents have held my snakes & found out
    they aren't scary or out to 'get' them, that instead they are just shy & beautiful creatures to appreciate.
    It is also nice to take my large girls and let people who love them but cant afford a large animal have the fun of holding one and watching them grow. I have always had a huge passion for animals. I would have a zoo if I could afford it and do it properly. I started as a young child learning about animals and have worked hard to educate myself through the years on many animals and am a biologist at heart. My job has none thing to do with animals now though but the education continues. I wanted to be a Marine Biologist when I first went to collage. My parents discouraged me till I dropped out year 3 and went into the Army. Now (2 degrees later) I work on medical equipment and have animals as a hobby.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2018)

Thanks

You are correct in a way. I did give it some serous thought. The sparkley and cool was very incising but gave way to education and respect for what breeders go through. I so drool over GTPs. I would have to get one raised by someone to adulthood and give testimony about it being calm and ok with being handled or at least demonstrated. They are so lovely to look at and such HUGE personalities. Don't care what morph. Just want a good pet. Oh well. One day I might make the plunge and try raising one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    this question is worded wierdly and/or comes from a POV of someone who had a change of heart and mind. most often the questions is "Why did u decide to breed?"

i agree w/ some of the replies and def. w/ what Zina said.

anyways Skyrivers i think this is the best decision for you at the moment. but who knows what the future holds, so keep reading, learning and keeping.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I have bred in the past and produced animals I couldn't have bought straight out the gate.

But then I got a new job with a lot of traveling time and realised I really don't have enough hours in the day to commit to it.

I have even had to slim down my collection to keep things manageable so, for the forseeable future, I don't really have the necessary resources to breed and no desire to compromise the husbandry to try and make it feasable.

Hopefully in the future I will have the time again and may begin to expand and consider breeding a few clutches again - but in the meantime I am happy to keep the snakes I have and can cope with.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-24-2018),zina10 (05-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I have a few breeders but the vast majority of my snakes are pets.

I'd actually like to move into breeding species that are less common and/or threatened in the wild, like my Savu pythons, or Eastern Indigoes eventually.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-24-2018),Bogertophis (05-24-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-24-2018)

Thanks

Honestly, I just haven't felt much need to for the species I currently keep. There are so many great breeders unless I got something rare I just don't see the need to bother. I'm fine keeping my snakes as pets.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I might breed one day but until that day possibly comes and i am prepared ahead of time with all the baby racks, nest egg of cash for possible complications of mom or one of the babies or other possible unforseen emergencies and most of all, having snakes that are plenty old enough to breed (not powerfed or fast grown ones), all my snakes are just 'pets'. Really the only one i would be interested in breeding would be Gina who has about 6 more years before i even think about, Louie who has probably a couple years to go but i would need a 6+ year old female for him, and Pat who has at least 2-3 years to go assuming i can tell from his shed that he is male. If he turns out to be a she, then again, probably 6 years. And finally maybe Dottie one day as i do like pied BPs. She would have about 2 years to go still as i have had her for about 4.5 years now. I personally would not want to breed any female under 6+ years old.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2018),Godzilla78 (05-24-2018),zina10 (05-24-2018)

Thanks

When I first got into balls and kept my single boy for a while I was like "wow! breeding will be so easy! let's start today! I'll make so much money!" or something like that. And then I really looked into and I realized there's a lot more behind it. I still thought it'd be so much fun, and was still daydreaming about those days. And then a realization hit me like a brick. For one, there are so many risks involved with it, and I don't think I could be mentally prepared for the loss of those animals (I'm just that much of a softy lol), I'd cry my eyes out everytime a hatchling didn't make it. And feeding costs And so much more. I'm fine with keeping my animals as pets And like someone mentioned, the BP market is huge! I think we have enough breeders already In short, I'm just too soft
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2018),zina10 (05-24-2018)

Registered User Anne Frankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks
    My snake is my pet. I'd rather not burden her with breeding. And I don't think the world needs any more Ball Pythons right now.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anne Frankenstein For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2018),Lord Sorril (05-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    When you breed snakes that are also your pets, you also add an element of risk to the life of your female, no matter how healthy you think she is.
    Snakes can have unforeseen problems, like egg-binding. Hatchlings can turn up with problems too & be unsaleable, what then? And while this may
    not apply to BPs (?), some snakes have no "off switch" when it comes to laying fertile eggs: a corn snake that I once bred many years ago kept laying
    healthy clutches of fertile eggs for 3 years thereafter with no further breeding. So breeding snakes can open a real "can of worms", no pun intended.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (05-24-2018),zina10 (05-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When you breed snakes that are also your pets, you also add an element of risk to the life of your female, no matter how healthy you think she is.
    Snakes can have unforeseen problems, like egg-binding. Hatchlings can turn up with problems too & be unsaleable, what then? And while this may
    not apply to BPs (?), some snakes have no "off switch" when it comes to laying fertile eggs: a corn snake that I once bred many years ago kept laying
    healthy clutches of fertile eggs for 3 years thereafter with no further breeding. So breeding snakes can open a real "can of worms", no pun intended.
    All very good points. I wonder if there are some snakes that can have issues if they don't breed?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast