Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,036

3 members and 3,033 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Why did you choose not to breed?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • My animals are pets only.

21 38.18%
  • No need.

6 10.91%
  • Cost and quality of husbandry.

5 9.09%
  • Feeding cost.

3 5.45%
  • Might one day breed.

13 23.64%
  • I am breeding.

14 25.45%
  • Other

3 5.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    The reason for now is just that I have no time left! All my spare time is being put into my other hobbies (training my puppy for dog sports... which turns out is a lot more time and specific efforts than just raising a pet dog!)
    But I totally might try again in the future, when my dog is a mature adult and isn't as time consuming.

I had tried breeding for a clutch a year and a half ago. I was just looking for the experience of breeding, incubating, seeing the little guys pip and then selling them. I also already built an active audience on another site and a couple friends who were interested in buying from my clutch, so it would've been sweet!

The female and my male locked at least 8 times and she never ovulated with me. That said, I still have no idea how to feel for follicles and wasn't sure whether any behavior I observed was developing follicles or just coincidence. Then I sold her for a fairly cheap price to "a breeder" in about March or April 2017 considering she locked with my BEL so many times... and she ovulated 1 month later! LOL.

Turns out the guy didn't even have an incubator and obviously was not a breeder. I can not roll my eyes hard enough.

He got an incubator maybe a week late, and the clutch turned out funny looking! A few BELs and a few odd colored snakes that weren't identifiable as a morph, or definitely were unknown genes. Someone suggested it might have been due to the poor incubation in the beginning and causing defects in their coloration. I actually kind of wish I bought one of them just to see how it would've developed.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-23-2018 at 01:32 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-24-2018),Bogertophis (05-23-2018),Skyrivers (05-23-2018),zina10 (05-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: So I have decieded not to breed. Food for thought.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful success and happiness here. I love the fact that you love them so much as I do. I just think my focus has shifted to an education aspect. I love taking a few species and showing them to people who would have never thought of being near them and having them walk away with new understanding and love the animals. I have 3-4 more species on my list that I desire to acquire but has to be the right animal within that species that has a good personality to do it with. The "morph" has become less important as finding a good representative of the species to share.

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Couple of reasons...

This picture of of my "problem child" hatchling. The one that just did NOT want to eat, despite every trick tried, despite eventual assist feeding.
    My most challenging one. The one I started thinking just won't make it. But...it did. And once I got this one eating well, I placed her for free, with full disclosure, but knowing that once they eat well, they are just like any other BP. But to me it didn't feel right selling her.

Her owner ADORES her. Loves her to pieces. Lets me know every time she eats, LOL. They couldn't have afforded a nice morph, but they can afford to take care of her well. And look at her now..

And another one, the owner of this one keeps asking me if I have more, they love her dearly and proudly show her off to all friends and family. The friends of this owner have also asked me if I have any more..

There are a couple of people that have texted me the updates and sadly I forgot to save the pictures they texted. Pictures of healthy, happy babies and proud owners.

I know it doesn't and won't always go well. But many times it does and will. For those it is worth it to me. I'm not saying I'm better then anyone else or that everyone should do this for fun (not profit) only. There is nothing wrong making some money in exchange for all the time, love and effort.

What is important is that it is done right, with highest priority to the animals well being. The larger the operation, the more time and effort it takes to do it right. Some people can do it, others fail. Some fail even when done "small scale". Some can't even keep them well as "pets only".

It CAN be highly rewarding, though, but a lot of thought and planning should go into it, so for that I commend you on your decision. To many jump into this , some for the wrong reasons and quickly become overwhelmed and the care of the animals suffers..

Thanks

So sad when people misrepresent themselves and the animals suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    The reason for now is just that I have no time left! All my spare time is being put into my other hobbies (training my puppy for dog sports... which turns out is a lot more time and specific efforts than just raising a pet dog!)
    But I totally might try again in the future, when my dog is a mature adult and isn't as time consuming.

I had tried breeding for a clutch a year and a half ago. I was just looking for the experience of breeding, incubating, seeing the little guys pip and then selling them. I also already built an active audience on another site and a couple friends who were interested in buying from my clutch, so it would've been sweet!

The female and my male locked at least 8 times and she never ovulated with me. That said, I still have no idea how to feel for follicles and wasn't sure whether any behavior I observed was developing follicles or just coincidence. Then I sold her for a fairly cheap price to "a breeder" in about March or April 2017 considering she locked with my BEL so many times... and she ovulated 1 month later! LOL.

Turns out the guy didn't even have an incubator and obviously was not a breeder. I can not roll my eyes hard enough.
    He got an incubator maybe a week late, and the clutch turned out funny looking! A few BELs and a few odd colored snakes that weren't identifiable as a morph, or definitely were unknown genes. Someone suggested it might have been due to the poor incubation in the beginning and causing defects in their coloration.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    this question is worded wierdly and/or comes from a POV of someone who had a change of heart and mind. most often the questions is "Why did u decide to breed?"

i agree w/ some of the replies and def. w/ what Zina said.

anyways Skyrivers i think this is the best decision for you at the moment. but who knows what the future holds, so keep reading, learning and keeping.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Skyrivers (05-23-2018),zina10 (05-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful success and happiness here. I love the fact that you love them so much as I do. I just think my focus has shifted to an education aspect. I love taking a few species and showing them to people who would have never thought of being near them and having them walk away with new understanding and love the animals. I have 3-4 more species on my list that I desire to acquire but has to be the right animal within that species that has a good personality to do it with. The "morph" has become less important as finding a good representative of the species to share.
    Before I moved I lived in a city that had a better represented reptile community. We had a lot of fun.
    We would often go to wild life parks to hold educational presentations. We had great many people show up and most were so open minded, it was awesome. That is where I had the experience with a autistic little girl. That little girl held my BP for 10 minutes, just sitting still and gazing at that snake with such love in her eyes. She was SO careful. I admit, I was a little nervous but I didn't have the heart not to let her hold Delilah after she held out her hands. I could tell her parents were nervous too, they later told me that the girl could never focus on anything for very long and never sat still. They were afraid the girl would not give the snake back without a tantrum (which was my thought, too), but after the 10 minutes she just quietly handed Delilah back to me. Her parents were blown away by the experience.

I also took my Veterans (2 normal BP's that were used to this and completely at ease, they would eat the same day sometimes) to schools. I was asked by the school administration if I could come spend an hour teaching the children about snakes. It was so awesome. The principal would show up and other teachers too, and the only ones afraid were the adults, LOL. The kids were great. I taught them about snakes in general (mostly about how great of creatures they are but to not approach wild ones, and why). The best part was at the end, when we have "questions and answers". I had one boy ask me what would happen if I took off my shoe and socks and stuck my foot in front of the snakes face.

.... I had to admit, I never tried that !!!

There is so much that is rewarding about keeping these animals. Whether breeding or not, always have fun with it and do it right
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-24-2018),Bogertophis (05-23-2018),Skyrivers (05-23-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To breed or not to breed?

I first got in this because there was no way I could have afford a 10K pet so I made it instead, I was instantly hooked.

I have Pets that do not breed and never will, I have pets that are breeders and I have breeders that would I fall in the livestock category (they are not pet and may be sold at any time when no longer needed for some projects just like any hatchling being produce). Ultimately regardless of what category they fit in even hatchlings for sale they all have the same level of care and attention but the emotional attachment is different.
    That is why I chose to have a small permanent collection (under 60) and have no interest in large scale commercial breeding.

Does it cost money? Yes

Is it a easy get rich type thing? No, most people will actually fail to make a profit

Is it easy? No it’s a lot of work not to mention the heartache when something goes wrong, dealing with nightmare customers etc

Is it rewarding? It is so long one can keep the passion alive, over the years I have known many people that just got burned out, too many projects not allowing them to see them fully come to terms, too many animals, not enough time etc

I am glad to see that you really gave it a serious thought, sadly too many people jump right in even though they own their very first snake for less than a month.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-24-2018),Bogertophis (05-23-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-24-2018),dr del (05-23-2018),GoingPostal (05-23-2018),Sonny1318 (05-23-2018),the_rotten1 (05-23-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    "Breeders" can be pets also.
    In the options above as a reason not to breed says "quality of husbandry" implying the breeders do not provide as good husbandry as pet only keepers?
    I don't think that was your intention? Generally, in order to have animals successfully reproduce, husbandry will need to be on point.

I have bred my pets here and there, more often now than in the past. Anyways, kudos to all pet-only keepers! Without you there wouldn't be much of a hobby to provide CBB babies for.
    For the Horde!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    .... I just think my focus has shifted to an education aspect. I love taking a few species and showing them to people who would have never thought of being near them and having them walk away with new understanding and love the animals.....

Some years back I bred several kinds each year, & for several years thereafter...as a hobbyist only, no desire to be seriously commercial about it.
    Rat snakes (Everglades & Amelanistic black rat snakes, Trans Pecos, Okeetee corns & Taiwan Beautys) kings (california kings, MBKs) & rosy boas.
    The rosy boas I really didn't want to breed but had little choice- I took in an older one from a nature museum that had "other plans", very long story.

Anyway, I never bred more than a couple kinds per year...it's a lot of extra work raising snakes, no matter how much I loved doing it, & I would never
    sell (or place) a snake that doesn't have a good feeding record, that I'm sure are easy for a new owner. Then comes the really hard part of parting with
    them, worrying...knowing that no matter how careful you are, not everyone is as responsible an owner as they present themselves to be, or that things
    'change'. I just like snakes (& all animals) too much I guess, they are all special to me, especially when I've seen them hatch or live born. So I really
    don't miss breeding snakes...my snakes are my pets.

For many years I've done my best to educate others about snakes...all kinds of snakes & in many venues. As Skyrivers said, the feeling of seeing so
    many people who've always feared or "hated" snakes, actually change their minds when they can safely meet some of mine...it's priceless. So for me,
    that's my preferred way to contribute...not by breeding more, but making sure that the snakes we have in the wild, as well as the ones people choose
    to keep as pets, are respected, valued & properly cared for. Doesn't matter what age, little children to grandparents have held my snakes & found out
    they aren't scary or out to 'get' them, that instead they are just shy & beautiful creatures to appreciate.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (05-23-2018),Skyrivers (05-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I am glad to see that you really gave it a serious thought, sadly too many people jump right in even though they own their very first snake for less than a month.

I agree and I know people were worried about all the questions I was asking but how can I make an educated decision if I don't ask. Also thanks for shairing for people who read this to learn also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    "Breeders" can be pets also.
    In the options above as a reason not to breed says "quality of husbandry" implying the breeders do not provide as good husbandry as pet only keepers?
    I don't think that was your intention? Generally, in order to have animals successfully reproduce, husbandry will need to be on point.

I have bred my pets here and there, more often now than in the past. Anyways, kudos to all pet-only keepers! Without you there wouldn't be much of a hobby to provide CBB babies for.
    I think you missed the mark on the husbandry question here. The point was, the more you have the more you have to provide housing for. Almost every breeder I have seen use racks. I am not to judge of that is bad or good. BPs are good with racks and most thrive in them. For me... my other species I carry like the retics and boa would enjoy room to move about some. I would have less resources to provide for them if they were breeders for me so I made a personal choice and that played a factor in it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast