Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,985

0 members and 2,985 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Katie: Reptile Convert and Love of My Life - Post about converts you know!

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    ...really glad they all played nice for you. I always dread that one day there having an off day and they nip you in front of someone that's already afraid of snakes...
    In all the times I've shared my snakes, I've never had that happen. Not even when they haven't done a 'meet & greet' in a while...somehow they seem to know they're safe? I agree it would be awful though, & I've heard of that happening (very rarely) but I just don't personally worry about mine. I think the worst one I've heard of was a large python being held for photos that suddenly bit someone...really makes bad publicity for all of us, & as well as our snakes. We really need to make sure we really "know" any snakes we decide to "share", but I wouldn't worry about Dave's either.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-30-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-31-2019)

Thanks
    my mother is terrified of snakes. she refuses to visit our home if there are snakes out in the open and she won't stay overnight unless they're all on a different floor. they make her physically ill for whatever reason. i can understand b/c i used to be physically afraid of clowns to the point i would hyperventilate and pass out. i really wish she would come around b/c our snakes are obviously a HUGE part of our lives.

we don't have company over much since we're hermits so no real opportunities to convert anyone LOL!

i love this thread though! thanks for sharing everyone.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-17-2020),dakski (11-01-2019),richardhind1972 (11-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    my mother is terrified of snakes. she refuses to visit our home if there are snakes out in the open and she won't stay overnight unless they're all on a different floor. they make her physically ill for whatever reason. i can understand b/c i used to be physically afraid of clowns to the point i would hyperventilate and pass out. i really wish she would come around b/c our snakes are obviously a HUGE part of our lives.

we don't have company over much since we're hermits so no real opportunities to convert anyone LOL!

i love this thread though! thanks for sharing everyone.
    Glad you love the thread.

I've converted everyone from friends and family to workers in the house (electricians, contractors, etc.). I've actually invited people over just to show them how calm and chill the snakes are.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-01-2019)

Thanks

Katie grew up with Billy, who has special needs. He has become part of our family and started out very hesitant of the reptiles. At first he didn't want to see them. Then over the next year or so, he would look. When I got Behira, and told him she was a baby, he kissed his hand and touched her. As time went on, he would let me bring out a reptile or two and show him, but he would refuse to hold them.

To be clear, Billy is not very verbal, but can articulate his feelings with his words to those who know him and can understand him (well some of the time anyway). He's a really great guy and good people.

Tonight, we were downstairs near the reptile area, and Billy asked about, "big snake." That's Behira and he seems to like her the most. I asked him if he wanted me to take her out and he said, "yeah."

So out Behira came and Katie got some good shots of Billy petting her. He still won't hold her, but he was happy to pet her.

After Behira went back I asked if he wanted to see Frank, the "big lizard?" He said yes again and pet Frank as well.

We were doing so well that we had Solana come out too. He liked the way she felt.

I am not sure Billy will ever hold the reptiles, but he's come a long way to be asking to see them. I am proud of him.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-17-2020),Craiga 01453 (12-28-2019),Dianne (11-28-2019),dr del (11-28-2019),EL-Ziggy (12-28-2019),Godzilla78 (11-30-2019),jmcrook (11-27-2019),o.r hill (11-30-2019),richardhind1972 (11-28-2019)

Thanks

Katie's/SunshineWalker's cousins came over last night. Alex is 16 and Meghan is 15. Meghan was interested in seeing the snakes and Alex, well he was a little apprehensive.

Katie helped with showing the reptiles to them and I think that helped the cousins to be calm. Alex even held Solana, and Meghan held Shayna and Behira after being intimidated by their size initially.

In the end, Meghan loved Jeff (BI) and Ezzy (Leachie) the most and Alex loved Ezzy. She was a crowd favorite.

Nice to see Alex come around some and Meghan to face her fears of the bigger snakes. Proud of both of them. Also really thrilled to see Katie interact with the kids and reptiles with me. She rarely interacts with them, although she fully supports my passion. She was even describing to the cousins what a Ghost Boa was genetically and how Feliz is called a red tail boa and how rich his coloring is, especially on his tail.

They met 11/13 reptiles (Kayla and Carra, Leopard Geckos, are a little jumpy and I don't like other people handling them) and held or touched all of them. I didn't get pictures of Feliz as I was cleaning his cage and Yafe was a little high strung.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-17-2020),Craiga 01453 (12-28-2019),dr del (07-16-2020),EL-Ziggy (12-28-2019),richardhind1972 (12-28-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Great pics dave, looks like everyone had fun, love it when the next generation want to learn about the reptiles

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 12-28-2019 at 05:57 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-28-2019)

Thanks

My mother was over yesterday and spent some time with the reptiles. I got some pics. It's really great how much she enjoys them (now).

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

67temp (07-15-2020),Bogertophis (08-17-2020),dr del (07-16-2020),RedRabbit (08-15-2020),richardhind1972 (07-15-2020)

Thanks

My niece Meghan came over the other day. It's the first time in a while due to COVID and her being away for most of the summer.

She's almost 10 and she's really grown up with many of my animals. Shayna (BP) turns 8 next month and Meghan turns 10 in December. They've known each other for as long as Meghan remembers.

Meghan held most of the animals when she was over recently, and I asked her who her favorites were. She told me she didn't want to say while holding Feliz (BC) because she didn't want to hurt his feelings. I told her not to worry, that snakes do not have ears, so she could say who her favorites were, and if Feliz wasn't one, it wouldn't hurt his feelings.

She told me, in order, Shayna, Behira (BI), Yafe (CP), Jeff (BI) and Cleo (LG). Yellow is her favorite color, so she likes all the yellow reptiles, but she really like Behira even though she isn't yellow. She also said she likes Solana (Corn) a lot, even though she is Orange. She seems to like to visit with everyone, but it's good that she has favorites too!

Meghan has always been interested in the reptiles, but I am glad they have helped her a) grow up unafraid and b) really piqued her interest. She's even started writing reports at school on reptiles and reptiles books she reads.

I know this thread is about converts, but I think showing someone growing up with reptiles and being open to and embracing them is a good thing too and appropriate.

She may come over next Sunday night, before school starts again, and watch everyone eat.

Here are some pics of Meghan with Shayna and Behira, all in chronological order (for each snake). Behira is 4 and Meghan has known her since about a week or two after we got her.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-17-2020),richardhind1972 (08-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Sweet pics!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-18-2020)

Thanks

My husband loves all animals but he'd never had a snake until me. His family is southern and very old fashioned. His parents are both super religious and kinda have that "Snakes are evil vessels for the devil" bull:cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: going on. He likes our rehab snakes but depending on their status and origin they don't get handled as often. Now that we have our own he's enamoured as heck. He's bonded with our little garter snake and she's his baby. She likes to sit on his glasses and hang out so he just enjoys having her there while he watches tv or plays games. I constantly catch him looking over at her enclosure and making kissy faces or calling her cute. It's really adorable.

My Grandma is also a snake convert, from my Dad. He had snakes in his room from the time he was a teenager and when he grew up to be a Herp she wasn't surprised. She made a fuzzy safe ballsack for Snoot to help calm him and loves to just wander my snake room when she visits to see any new rehabs that have come in. Since I keep their stats pinned with their enclosures she'll spend time just stopping to read each sheet and comment things like "Oh wow, you've grown so much! I'm so proud of you!" to them. It's wonderful to see.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-19-2020),dakski (08-17-2020),richardhind1972 (08-17-2020)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast