Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,112

2 members and 3,110 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Another great thread. Good luck to you both!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Katie: Reptile Convert and Love of My Life - Post about converts you know!

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    ...I used to own corns so really get the difference,they very rarely keep still , lol and alot of people are like why won't they just
    sit and chill with me but I feel it's just a corn thing...
    Another thing to consider (& not only with corn snakes) is that they appreciate temperatures in the low 70's much of the time (as evidenced by where mine choose
    to spend most of their enclosure time) and we are quite a ways above that, around 98.6* so it's very possible that's what their activity should be telling us. Add to
    that the fact that they have a thinner build than boas and BPs, so their body heats up faster (& can over-heat faster), whereas a boa takes a long time to warm up,
    depending on how large they are, plus they need more warmth anyway. Boas are "just getting started" when corn snakes are "done". I suspect that Solana's being
    scaleless, might also make a difference...she has virtually no "insulation".

My large Florida rat snakes have consistently done very well with public "meet & greets"- quite often they settle into the arms of strangers like a baby, because they
    have a husky build (7' males) and crave the warmth of their native "Sunshine State". So it's not that rat snakes never chill out with human handling...it's just asking
    a lot of a little corn snake. It's easy to forget how warm we are to them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-02-2018),richardhind1972 (12-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Looks like mum had a great time with the critters today’s

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Yeah, she really did, and she always does. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but she used to be petrified of snakes. Couldn't even look at a picture of one. Now look at her! She's come a long way. Great to see.

That's the whole point of this thread. Look at Katie, who wasn't afraid, but was kind of "meh." Now she loves and embraces them. She has her own Leachie, helped me give shots to Yafe, who she didn't even really know yet, and even feeds Figment and Solana! Holding them, forget about it! Regularly! She even takes Behira out after hook tapping/rubbing. She's a pro now.

I love opening peoples' eyes to how wonderful these creatures are. Especially people I care about.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2018),richardhind1972 (12-02-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Another thing to consider (& not only with corn snakes) is that they appreciate temperatures in the low 70's much of the time (as evidenced by where mine choose
    to spend most of their enclosure time) and we are quite a ways above that, around 98.6* so it's very possible that's what their activity should be telling us. Add to
    that the fact that they have a thinner build than boas and BPs, so their body heats up faster (& can over-heat faster), whereas a boa takes a long time to warm up,
    depending on how large they are, plus they need more warmth anyway. Boas are "just getting started" when corn snakes are "done". I suspect that Solana's being
    scaleless, might also make a difference...she has virtually no "insulation".

My large Florida rat snakes have consistently done very well with public "meet & greets"- quite often they settle into the arms of strangers like a baby, because they
    have a husky build (7' males) and crave the warmth of their native "Sunshine State". So it's not that rat snakes never chill out with human handling...it's just asking
    a lot of a little corn snake. It's easy to forget how warm we are to them.
    Suppose I never thought of like that ,I think they are alot more inquisitive too and like.to explore when there younger

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Yeah, she really did, and she always does. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but she used to be petrified of snakes. Couldn't even look at a picture of one. Now look at her! She's come a long way. Great to see.

That's the whole point of this thread. Look at Katie, who wasn't afraid, but was kind of "meh." Now she loves and embraces them. She has her own Leachie, helped me give shots to Yafe, who she didn't even really know yet, and even feeds Figment and Solana! Holding them, forget about it! Regularly! She even takes Behira out after hook tapping/rubbing. She's a pro now.

I love opening peoples' eyes to how wonderful these creatures are. Especially people I care about.
    That's so cool that your mum has come round that much.
    When my wife asked me what I wanted for our anniversary I said I want Gomez my Guyana and she just said really, and after a week she gave in and gave me half towards him of which I was pretty pleased with, he was way too good to let pass by that's for sure , so I feel that was a small step of having another snake in the house, didn't dare tell I hadn't shut the Viv properly on little Harleys viv and he had escaped, thru a cm gap when I changed his water, lol. Boy did i panick as he could probably fit under the door too, I was just about to give up looking before work and I thought I'd try down the side of the bed and luckily he was there, so she didn't need to know , Lol
    That would of been a set back

9. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Suppose I never thought of like that ,I think they are alot more inquisitive too and like.to explore when there younger

That's another main difference between rat snakes (including corns) and BPs/boas: rat snakes are active hunters, whereas BPs/boas are ambush (sit & wait) types.

So that's where the "inquisitive" part comes in: I really enjoy seeing my snakes & having them look back at me all the time. And it often means they enjoy being
    up in their branches & always on the "look-out" instead of hiding. They seem to be a bit more visually-oriented, and because they are more aware of our presence,
    they are less spooked by our "intrusions".

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-02-2018),richardhind1972 (12-02-2018)

Thanks

My buddy Dan was over today and he met Solana and Feliz and Ferry for the first time. He doesn't have any reptiles of his own, but lives vicariously through me. He likes them, so I wouldn't call him a convert, but he asks a lot of questions and has definitely become more interested of late.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),Dianne (12-07-2018),richardhind1972 (12-07-2018),tttaylorrr (12-07-2018)

Thanks

To quote Queen, "Another one bites the dust!"

Katie's friend Sandy, and her husband Russ, came to visit us last night. Russ is a big animal guy of all kinds, but Sandy had some reservations. Dogs, love, lizards, ok, snakes, NO!

Well, Sandy was very happy to meet the lizards, and we started downstairs, were Frank (Northern Blue Tongue) and the 3 Leopard Geckos reside, as well as 5 of the 6 snakes (Yafe is still upstairs in my office). She said she was okay being the same room as the snakes, and it was okay, if one peeked out, etc. but she wasn't crazy about the idea of them being out.

I am not one to perpetuate fears, and said I would happily introduce her to the lizards.

Russ wanted to see everyone, and I planned to show him the snakes separately.

Sandy met Frank, Cleo, Carra, and Kayla. She was on a roll and doing great. She held Frank and Cleo and even let me and Russ hand feed Cleo some "gecko crack," a small wax worm and a small butter worm (an occasional treat for her and her sisters).

While all this was going on, Figment and Solana came out to beg for food a bit. Sandy saw both of them, and looked, and didn't run. She asked a few questions about the snakes and how they move and their behavior.

I explained that I had each of them since they fit in the palm of my hand (which Solana and Feliz still do - and Yafe almost) and they grew up knowing human touch. They were multi generation captive bred, but no, they weren't genetically domesticated like one of our 5 dogs.

Sandy took a big step and said she was willing to see one of the snakes, if I kept them on the other side of the reptile area.

Figment was out, and being cute and purple, and I explained he had purple eyes, but moved quick. Sandy was intrigued, but nervous about his movement. I told her, it only got better from here, and if she could handle him being out, the others would be easy for her to take.

I took him out and fully supported him and he was fairly cooperative (thank you Figment) and calm (for Figment), but moved around a bit. She was a little nervous, but did okay. Her husband, Russ, wanted to hold Figment, and I let him, and then Figgie started moving a little more and Sandy got a little nervous, but held her ground. She wanted to see his purple eyes, but asked that I help hold him because he was calmer with me. I supported his upper body and helped support his head so she could see his purple eyes. She was intrigued.

Next thing I know, and without prompting, she reaches out her hand, and strokes Figment's side!

That was enough, and she asked me to put him away, which I happily let Russ do.

Next was Solana, who was, as usual, calm as can be, and both Sandy and Russ thought she was adorable and soft. Russ held her.

Shayna was next and being the great snake ambassador she is, was chill as can be. Russ asked to hold her, while sitting next to Sandy, and Sandy said it was okay. She liked the way Shayna moved really slowly and deliberately and she liked her colors. I explained "happy tongue" to them and Sandy pet Shayna a few times. Shayna seemed to like Sandy and slithered towards her to say, "hello." I started to walk the foot towards them, but Sandy stopped me, reached under Shayna's neck, and supported her head! I was stunned. Next thing I know, Shayna is in Sandy's lap!

Are you kidding me? Go Shayna! GO SANDY!

After a couple minutes of very positive interaction, it was clear that Sandy had enough and was at her limit. I put Shayna back and Sandy admitted she had enough and would let Russ meet Behira and Feliz, but that she needed a break and would look from afar. I said, no problem, and told her, I was, "very proud" of her.

Behira came out and Russ really liked her (what's not to like). Sandy walked back over as I was explaining her light and dark phases and that she was a ghost BCI, and has a little "ghost" on her tail; a total coincidence. Sandy wanted to see, so I showed her, and she ended up petting Behira quite a bit, but didn't want to hold her.

Finally, I took Feliz out for Russ to meet, and that was too much for Sandy. He was just too CUTE not to hold! She came back, sat down, and held him for a bit.

They will both meet Yafe, Ferry, and Ezzy, later today (Sunday), as we ran out of time yesterday.

Again, incredibly proud of Sandy for listening to reason, being open to seeing how docile the crew is, and realizing that there's a difference between a wild snake and a pet snake. Her "bad snake" experiences had all been with wild snakes loose in her house or garden, etc. Either way, incredibly brave and courageous.

Also very proud of my animals for continuing to be fantastic reptile ambassadors. Great job Solana and Feliz for joining the Reptile Ambassador Crew!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by dakski; 12-23-2018 at 04:22 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),Dianne (12-23-2018),richardhind1972 (12-23-2018)

Thanks

That's such a positive story Dave, I love it when this happens, really glad they all played nice for you.
    I always dred that one day there having an off day and they nip you Infront someone that's already afraid of snakes
    Great pics too

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),dakski (12-23-2018)

Thanks

My mom with the growing crew (except for Shayna - BP).

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),dr del (10-31-2019),EL-Ziggy (11-01-2019),richardhind1972 (10-31-2019)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast