Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

2 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Burmese loose in the city

It is a shame that people are so negative towards snakes and those that have them as pets - as if owners of snakes don't care for them as much as dog or cat owners. I'm not saying this particular owner is one of those caring types, but I don't know them so I can't judge.

I do blame the public that the immediate reaction to a missing giant is "OMG, I can't let my kids and pets outside, they'll surely be killed by that monster. They should be banned". However, someones' large dog (Shepard, lab, does not really matter) that is just as capable of killing smaller pets or harming kids usually only elicits comments of "poor dog, must be so scared and lonely" and "I really hope it's found, lets spread the word all over face book and maybe someone will find it".

Dog attacks / injuries are much more common by far than python attacks, its just ridiculousness to me that people hear the word 'python' and immediately turn to 'man-eater'
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2018),Godzilla78 (05-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

I actually do agree that most Giants and other potentially dangerous snakes should not be able to be owned by just anyone.

I actually agree with this as well... and not to drag this thread in a completely different direction, but I think some controls - for instance a permit with a fee of some sort - would actually be a way to help somewhat control who will get these animals. I'm not normally a proponent of the government telling folks what to do, but if you're willing to go through the process and pay the money for the animal, you're going to be taking care of it.

Of course, just like anything, if people really want something, they're going to get it, permits, fines, fees, laws, or not.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2018),Godzilla78 (05-23-2018)

Thanks

At least the community seems to be having some fun with it, between the twitter account and this...

https://www.wthr.com/article/petitio...r-loose-python

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (05-23-2018),Bogertophis (05-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CottonMouth View Post
    ....At the end of the day it's still a huge wild snake that does have the capability of killing a child, even an adult. As snake owners we know that would be very rare and highly unlikely. But they don't really know that and it is still a wild snake that may now be irritated/stressed and you just never know.

Definitely the owners fault, nothing to do with the snake but I'm just saying this as something to discuss or think about, maybe large snakes like this should require some credentials. Not something the Government can make more money on, but something to do with experience.

I'm sick of hearing about bad owners who have no business owning a particular animal and then the animal ends up paying for it or the Animal Community suffers.
    The owner sitting there saying "she's a big sweetheart" was really lame & annoyingly false. When you put tame pet snakes (any kind, any size) on the
    ground, their instincts kick in & they get defensive towards people & pets coming toward them because to them, they may be predators or food, & they
    mostly don't see that well to not make natural mistakes.

Many years ago when I worked with rattlesnakes (for 20 safe years), I had to have special permits from Fish & Game for a couple that were considered
    "detrimental species" (they were non-local venomous). Those permits cost money & required F & G to make a yearly home check (to make sure they
    were properly cared for, housed securely in adequate size caging etc), a statement from my exotic vet, & initially an extensive application process with
    my experience, background & purpose for keeping them explained in detail...I also had to provide references. They rarely gave those permits to people
    who had no paid work experience with the same or similar species, but made an exception for me because of my answers.

Don't hate me for saying this, but I'd like to see similar regulations for giant snakes, as they are too easy to get for the many who want them for all the
    wrong reasons. Like venomous, giant snakes are a huge responsibility to work with safely and to house SECURELY, and a huge commitment for their
    lifespan. I'd be very concerned if my neighbor owned a lion instead of a domestic short-hair, so I don't really blame the neighbors for their reactions to
    the escape of this large constrictor...the owner has proven himself unworthy. Another public relations fail for our community that we sure don't need.

I also think permits help protect the animals involved- things like minimum cage size requirements, help prevent improper care & abuse.

The town where I now reside has a ban on pit-bulls, because people want their community to feel safe. What you don't regulate can end up producing
    a ban.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-23-2018 at 03:15 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CottonMouth (05-23-2018),Team Slytherin (05-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    I actually agree with this as well... and not to drag this thread in a completely different direction, but I think some controls - for instance a permit with a fee of some sort - would actually be a way to help somewhat control who will get these animals. I'm not normally a proponent of the government telling folks what to do, but if you're willing to go through the process and pay the money for the animal, you're going to be taking care of it.

Of course, just like anything, if people really want something, they're going to get it, permits, fines, fees, laws, or not.
    Some states have permit requirements and other bans on some species. I don't think that that is a solution though. I think education is! I think it is the responsibility of both breeder and new owner to get educated and share it.

Thanks

Sadly, pretty much all snakes (and, by association, snake owners) are stigmatized. I find it frustrating, annoying, and ridiculous that the minute people know you own a snake, you are viewed differently. The bigger the snake, the greater the suspicion and distrust. I agree that education is the answer, but a large percentage of the population has no interest WHATsoever in being educated. It's sad that some owners act irresponsibly and add fuel to the fire by finding (or putting) themselves in a position that makes them (and their snake(s)) the centre of negative media attention. The snake hobby is a HUGE one and the vast majority of hobbyists are intelligent, knowledgeable, individuals who are passionate about their snakes and who practice ideal husbandry for their animals...........where is the media coverage on THESE owners?

I'm not sure that regulation is the answer - I look at what happened to the owners of pit bulls in the U.K. and Quebec. They were told that by registering their dogs, they'd be exempt from the proposed ban. Responsible owners of pit bulls and pit bull crosses did just that, they registered their beloved family pets . Big mistake, the bans were initiated, laws were amended and in the U.K., those who had registered their dogs were visited by the police/humane societies and their dogs were seized. The dog was then tested and if it's d.n.a. profile indicated it had more than the accepted percentage of pit bull dna, the dog was (and is) euthanized, regardless of disposition, history, or behaviour. While the law has again changed in Quebec and given the breed a reprieve, this is not the case in the U.K. Dogs appearing to be pit bull are tested and euthanized.

It's not much of a stretch of the imagination for me to see this happening to certain reptiles. People tend to make rash decisions when they're frightened, and the media LOVES to build on that fear because it sells copy. It wouldn't take huge numbers of people to initiate municipal bylaw changes, it would only take a few very vocal ones. Reptile owners need to be VERY aware of the impression they are leaving with a public which is, for the most part, hostile. I do believe this attitude is GRADUALLY changing, especially among the younger generation who seem to be far more open to reptiles as pets, but, there's a long ways to go.

Thanks

Vine the Burmese python has been found safe and sound...

http://www.wishtv.com/news/local-new...hed/1200975951

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-26-2018),tttaylorrr (05-27-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Vine the Burmese python has been found safe and sound...

http://www.wishtv.com/news/local-new...hed/1200975951

Woohoo!!! The snake wasn't harmed!!!

Thanks for the update!

Thanks
    I'm SO happy to hear the snake was found safe nearby, & without harm to other pets or people. Stuff like this can bring out the worst in some people,
    hunting the snake to harm it etc. I will be most interested to hear the legal outcome as well...that "violent & vicious" clause is a pricey one to violate.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-26-2018)

Thanks
    So I got curious & looked up their town's regulations: http://www.beechgrove.com/uploads/1/...chapter_90.pdf

He is probably screwed for the fine, at least the way 90.06 (B) reads as to the "exhibit of wild or vicious animals", and I'm also wondering if he
    was supposed to have liability insurance, as it talks about in (I)...? This may be a very expensive goof. It really pays to research this stuff BEFORE
    you acquire pets....just because you "didn't know" doesn't mean you'll stay out of hot water.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast