Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

4 members and 3,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Help! My ball python is unusually aggressive!

I will also upgrade him to medium. I was planning to soon, anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alyssasimons View Post
    Thanks! I will get him a better hide and try to black out the sides. My turtle tank is right next to his, so he might be a little freaked out by her swimming around next him?
    Yes..Black out sides and back. 2 good hides. You can even cover most of the top. Leaving space for air and heat lamp of course.

Privacy and safety are very important to a BP. Right after correct Temps and humidity.

Try all that and bump up food. Handle gently but deliberately a couple of days after eating, but wait with handling until he has settled some after all the changes.

Keep handling short and sweet. Seems like there were a lot of things going on between wrong Temps, getting out...changes in setup.

Get it all right, give time to settle, feed well and then continue handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (05-22-2018)

Thanks

Just make sure he has adequate hides, temps, humidity, fresh water, and food. Aside from that not much else you can do. They are living animals and will not be the same all the time. As long as he is not overly stressed out from too much handling he should be fine. Most snakes and especially ball pythons can be "huffy" when you go to pick them up but usually calm down once you pick them up. Just be confident and don't make it worse by being hesitant when you go to pick him up. hopefully he calms down soon for you.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to djansen For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-22-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    There's no mention of what ypur temps actually are.
    Sooo....what are your temps? How are you measuring temps? And are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat???

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-22-2018),MissterDog (05-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    First off, most "aggression" in snakes is really defensive behavior: snakes are shy & don't rely on vision to identify things, for the most part.
    So when you walk by, your snake perceives "A big scary potential predator is out there, OMG!" They rely on our scent & touch to recognize us.

Your snake may be afraid, hungry or actually uncomfortable...a snake with pain or internal parasites may "act aggressive" too. So please, if you
    get all the husbandry corrected (right temps & humidity, privacy, adequate food, etc) and he's still acting this way, a vet visit might be in order,
    along with a fresh stool sample. It's possible that he got injured during his escape...I've never broken a rib but I'm willing to believe that it hurts
    just as much whether you're a snake or a human?

And you mentioned he is now 11 years old: do you know much about his history, before you got him? If he was mishandled prior to your owner-
    ship, he could have internal injuries or bad memories with humans, at the very least? That you initially allowed his cage temperatures to be too
    cold would have lowered his immune function & could have allowed health issues to take hold. When an animal is in pain, they don't always
    correctly blame the source...again, they get defensive.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-22-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Another afterthought:

You mentioned that he is now in a smaller tank (40 gal) from the one he was in for a long time (75 gal)? So now you seem closer to him when
    you approach, he doesn't have as much "fight or flight" distance: since he doesn't visually "know" you, maybe this cage is more scary for him?

Make sure he has adequate hides on both cool & warm side of cage, as I think was already noted. You didn't explain how he happened to escape,
    but if he squeezed out thru a loose cage top, that's one way snake can break ribs & all. Are there any sunken-in areas on his body? Any lack
    of symmetry? (your vet can check this)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-22-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    There's no mention of what ypur temps actually are.
    Sooo....what are your temps? How are you measuring temps? And are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat???
    It's 90 degrees (give or take a degree or two) on the warm side and around 80 on the cooler side. I measure this with a temperature gun. And the humidity is around 60%.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alyssasimons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-22-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-23-2018)

Thanks

Thank you all, this has been very helpful. I will check for any unsymmetrical areas. Are there any other ways for me to check if he's injured, or sick, before heating to the vet?

Thanks

It's 90 degrees (give or take a degree or two) on the warm side and around 80 on the cooler side. I measure this with a temperature gun. And the humidity is around 60%.
    I think you forgot to answer the thermostat question- it's important!
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-23-2018),MissterDog (05-23-2018)

Thanks

Thank you all, this has been very helpful. I will check for any unsymmetrical areas....
    BTW, the reason I think of that is a wild caught rosy boa that was given to me & which I kept for the balance of his life. When he slid around in his cage,
    with his body making "S" curves, you could see when he moved that a sunken area would appear...he had an old injury- several broken ribs that healed
    that way & left him somewhat vulnerable to pain or more injury from careless handling, so he "retired" with me. No idea how it happened-

Years back when I was cleaning cages, I unlocked one of my rat snakes cages & left the room briefly: when I came back, she had pushed up the lid & was
    making her escape, only the lid was resting for too long on her tail tip...she ended up needing her tail tip amputated because of the damage done.

If you touch a snake in a place that causes pain, they tend to bite as a reflex, nothing "personal". Another unwanted/rescue I took in had a back injury-
    it was confirmed by x-ray- she handled fine as long as you didn't touch that spot- then she'd bite. She also tended to get constipated because her back
    hurt when she moved around. I ended up having to help her defecate in shallow water in my bathtub, where the water & my hands could support her.

With snakes (& other animals) you have to read between the lines & be very observant. There's the old joke that your best doctor is probably your vet,
    because they have to do all their diagnosing without their patients being able to tell them anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12