Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,127

1 members and 1,126 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    The advise given on checking the shed for eye caps is great advise, the tip for misting the shed lightly so it can be “unrolled” to help check is also great. I’ve used dedicated snake enclosures and tanks. One of my essentials to keeping snakes (boids mostly) is to have a big humidifier. Another must for tank users is covering the lid with plastic. I have mine covered at least 70%. You can find places on the web that will cut to size and even have different colors and thickness. I also prefer using infrared spot bulbs over CHE’s. As someone else just pointed out on here the other day, CHE’s get 2 to 3 times hotter at the base then do comparable infrared spot bulbs. I personally have experimented with this, and was getting measurements with a high quality temp gun of well over 400 degrees at the base of the CHE, vs around 140 at the base of a comparable infrared spot bulb. Hope this helps. 😀

Thanks

Re: Misting systems?

Until today, my son and I have had both of our snakes in glass enclosures.

The first thing I did for both was to cover part of the tops with Plexiglas. This has helped a lot with controlling humidity. My son's snake has been in a 40 gal since we got it. That tank had a divided lid and it was very easy to cut a 1/4 inch piece of Plexiglas to replace the larger portion of screen. My tank is a 20 gal and has a one piece screen lid and I cut a 1/8 inch piece of Plexiglas to cover a majority of the lid with a circular cutout for the heat lamp. This helped tremendously with humidity control but to keep the humidity up during shed we also have Zoomed Habba- mist or Reptirain misters on both tanks and they have worked very well.

They have a lot of adjustments and with some experimentation you can dial them in to maintain the humidity level you need. I know this goes against a lot of suggestions but they have worked well for us.

We also had some issues, that I won't get into, with one of the misters and Zoo med's customer service went above and beyond to remedy our issue.

We are fairly new to snakes so I am definitely not an expert but this has worked well for us and we have had no other issues with our system or our snakes for several months now.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12