Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

1 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Corny is very pretty! Now to get his appetite loss figured out. I'm assuming that by "large mice" in the quote below, we're not really talking about adult mice? Feeding twice a week sounds like a recipe for regurge, unless we're talking about pinks/fuzzies??? (how big & how old is Corny?)

"...she said i should start feeding two of the large mice i have every 7 days, or one mouse twice a week. when i mentioned buying bigger mice she actually advised me against it."
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-27-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Corny goes to the vet

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Corny is very pretty! Now to get his appetite loss figured out. I'm assuming that by "large mice" in the quote below, we're not really talking about adult mice? Feeding twice a week sounds like a recipe for regurge, unless we're talking about pinks/fuzzies???
    they're not exactly "large"; they're 25g on their best day, not ex-breeders or anything. they're just f/t mice from the pet store.

i agree feeding twice a week doesn't seem ideal.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-27-2018)

Thanks

Corny & your cat are both in my good thoughts...

But about your transport of Corny in just a tub: what if your vehicle broke down on the way there or back??? (that HAS happened to me with a snake
    on board!) If your snake is not in an insulated "cooler" & you get stuck without your auto's A/C, he could die waiting for assistance. How many ppl do
    you think will stop to help with your over-heated snake, anyway??? Just think about it for next trip...ok? I know you care, but "things can happen".
    Not sure exactly where tttaylor was driving from, but unless the breakdown was along the expressway or on a road through the biggest forest preserve in the area, there would be somewhere nearby to wait for help - a bin with a bag in it says “snake” to us, not necessarily non-herp people. And at worst, you find a patch of shade and take the top off the tub, so Corny wouldn’t get any hotter than ambient. Yesterday was hot and miserable for us humans, not so much for the snakes.

I also meant to PM tttaylor my cell number in case she needed moral support or anything, but forgot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (05-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    I also meant to PM tttaylor my cell number in case she needed moral support or anything, but forgot.
    awe, thank you i appreciate that so much! it's the thought that counts lol.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Not sure exactly where tttaylor was driving from, but unless the breakdown was along the expressway or on a road through the biggest forest preserve in the area, there would be somewhere nearby to wait for help - a bin with a bag in it says “snake” to us, not necessarily non-herp people. And at worst, you find a patch of shade and take the top off the tub, so Corny wouldn’t get any hotter than ambient. Yesterday was hot and miserable for us humans, not so much for the snakes....
    This time of year the temps can be way too hot for herps, especially corn snakes that don't the heat like BPs do. "Ambient" sounds harmless but can kill pets.
    And just like dogs in hot cars, they might survive but with neurological damage. Why take that chance?

Using an insulated container isn't a big ask, to me it's just better safe than sorry. We humans are blessed with foresight, it's a shame to waste it. And if your
    budget is tight, you'll often find styrofoam shipping containers in thrift stores VERY cheaply. (they're also superb to keep in your trunk, for carrying ice cream
    home from the grocery store...)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    random update: i have to take my cat in to her vet this weekend too. one of her lower canines is really bothering her and when i tried to touch it the tooth was loose. this will be a fun weekend ha...lol.
    I hope Corny snaps back into shape for you. As for your feline friend, cats handle dentals really well if that is what is recommended (usually, of course - it's still a surgery, so make sure you do blood work to make sure liver and kidneys are healthy enough for anesthesia). Mine; she's 8; just had one done. She had a resorption lesion of two of her top incisors and a very mild one on her upper left canine tooth. The two incisors were removed, the canine cleaned, two weeks of antibiotics and she's fine. The dental itself took 23 min from intubantion to recovery. She will probably loose the canine in a year or two, but for now she's good. (I however handled it badly, took her in on a day that I didn't work, waited by the phone until she was done and stayed up all night counting respirations like a crazy person)

I brush her teeth and have her on a dental supplement daily, it really does help keep the tarter down, if your cat will tolerate it lol.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-27-2018),tttaylorrr (05-29-2018)

Thanks
    Back to the subject of transporting your snake in an INSULATED container (ice chest or styrofoam shipping box)- I hope we never see you posting
    a sad thread like this: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-is-not-moving

No matter what the season, any time my snakes travel in my car, they ONLY travel in "ice chests" (no ice) for safety and so as to minimize any
    temperature fluctuations. May I recommend that you do the same.

Thanks

Corny refused tonight...

i feel terrible.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this.

Thanks

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this.
    part of me wants to blame the vet visit and moving him into a new room for QT, but that just seems so unlike how i know him to be. everyone else ate fine tonight (except Yellow, typical)...i feel like i've failed. how am i supposed to get a fecal sample now??? i haven't noticed any new poops.

do i leave him alone? faaaaaadge. what do i even do?? i have failed him. period.

none of this isn't directed at you...i'm just venting. i'm just really upset...
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast