Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,006

3 members and 3,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Corny goes to the vet

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    okay guys! i got the phone call on friday: both tests came back negative. it was expensive, but it's worth the peace of mind. i asked the vet what my next steps should be and she asked if he was eating; yes. she told me to keep an eye on him and to bring him back if things don't keep improving. she seemed like she wanted to get off the phone lol, but it was a friday and i could understand. then i asked her about quarantine and she "yeah it's wise to keep him away for a while."

what do you guys think? what do i do now? do i just keep him in QT and see if he keeps improving? also, i'm trying to get him a 40gal upgrade soon: should i hold off on that until this has all passed?

any advice or input is much appreciated! thank you all!!!!
    That's great, Taylor!!! Awesome news!! So glad tests came back negative!

I'm not the best person to offer advice regarding illnesses and such, but my two cents: if you have the space to keep him in QT a bit longer it can't hurt.
    I'd probably upgrade his enclosure whenever you feel confident he's eating well and regularly.
    But, again, that's just my two cents.

Keep us posted!

P.S. good seeing you around!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (07-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    How long have you had him now? I'd agree that a little longer in QT is probably a good idea, but as far as I can tell, he's not actually been ill...just some
    circumstances that caused a jump to that conclusion. He's sure gonna love the 40 gal. upgrade, but as already mentioned, give him a few more meals
    where he is to "make sure", as new cages can be stressful all by themselves, so right now it might only be "stress" but you'd assume he was "sick"...ok?
    He's lucky to have you watching over him...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-09-2018),tttaylorrr (07-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Yeah, keep him in quarantine a little longer, just in case.

Very happy, I REPEAT, very happy, tests were negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome news!

I had a thought. Maybe out of left field and also might have been addressed.

Are you sure Corny is a male? Do you have recent body pics of Corny and a recent weight?

I understand Corny is older and there was neglect and improper diet before getting to you.

However, male corn snakes are usually a little bigger than females, but many corns don't get too big, especially females.

I got Solana from Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles, he's been breeding corns since 1974.

He said Figment is a big boy at 5FT and 630G. Not huge, but big. Not too many 5ft+ corn snakes out there. For what's it's worth, he thinks Figment looks great and healthy.

He figured Solana (female and all of 9G now at 2 months) would be closer to 3FT, maybe 4FT, and 400-500G tops. He said many of his females are around or just under 3FT.

Long story short, if Corny is a female (don't remember if the Vet sexed Corny), and healthy otherwise, Corny might be getting to full grown/proper size, and there really isn't much to worry about it.

Anyway, a long way to go, but a thought none the less. Maybe Corny is either a small male, or a female (maybe also on the smaller side)?

Either way, keep us in the loop, but super relieved that Corny's not sick and is eating again!

40G is a great size for adult corns, just make sure he has plenty of hides. I kept three in the 40G I used to keep Figment in, and will have three in his 3X2' Boaphile once I split his 6X2' in half for Solana and him to share.

I also learned a new trick from Don that Solana loves. She's too small even for the mini-hides, so Don told me to put a piece of paper towel in the hide to make it feel really snug. It has worked wonders. No more burrowing under the paper to feel secure and safe. She's always in a hide now!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (07-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    That's great, Taylor!!! Awesome news!! So glad tests came back negative!

I'm not the best person to offer advice regarding illnesses and such, but my two cents: if you have the space to keep him in QT a bit longer it can't hurt.
    I'd probably upgrade his enclosure whenever you feel confident he's eating well and regularly.
    But, again, that's just my two cents.

Keep us posted!

P.S. good seeing you around!
    i will keep him in QT for 3 months starting from the phone call on friday. he's in a spare room and i miss seeing his lil face when i wake up, but he'll have to stay away for a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How long have you had him now? I'd agree that a little longer in QT is probably a good idea, but as far as I can tell, he's not actually been ill...just some circumstances that caused a jump to that conclusion. He's sure gonna love the 40 gal. upgrade, but as already mentioned, give him a few more meals where he is to "make sure", as new cages can be stressful all by themselves, so right now it might only be "stress" but you'd assume he was "sick"...ok?
    He's lucky to have you watching over him...
    i have had him for a year and 4 months, from when i got him last May.

i'll keep him in QT like i said above, and i'll also hold off on the upgrade until i'm confident he's being his noodley self; i might just wait until his QT is up.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Yeah, keep him in quarantine a little longer, just in case.

Very happy, I REPEAT, very happy, tests were negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome news!

I had a thought. Maybe out of left field and also might have been addressed.

Are you sure Corny is a male? Do you have recent body pics of Corny and a recent weight?

I understand Corny is older and there was neglect and improper diet before getting to you.

However, male corn snakes are usually a little bigger than females, but many corns don't get too big, especially females.

I got Solana from Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles, he's been breeding corns since 1974.

He said Figment is a big boy at 5FT and 630G. Not huge, but big. Not too many 5ft+ corn snakes out there. For what's it's worth, he thinks Figment looks great and healthy.

He figured Solana (female and all of 9G now at 2 months) would be closer to 3FT, maybe 4FT, and 400-500G tops. He said many of his females are around or just under 3FT.

Long story short, if Corny is a female (don't remember if the Vet sexed Corny), and healthy otherwise, Corny might be getting to full grown/proper size, and there really isn't much to worry about it.

Anyway, a long way to go, but a thought none the less. Maybe Corny is either a small male, or a female (maybe also on the smaller side)?

Either way, keep us in the loop, but super relieved that Corny's not sick and is eating again!

40G is a great size for adult corns, just make sure he has plenty of hides. I kept three in the 40G I used to keep Figment in, and will have three in his 3X2' Boaphile once I split his 6X2' in half for Solana and him to share.

I also learned a new trick from Don that Solana loves. She's too small even for the mini-hides, so Don told me to put a piece of paper towel in the hide to make it feel really snug. It has worked wonders. No more burrowing under the paper to feel secure and safe. She's always in a hide now!
    i actually "met" another adult corn snake not too long ago (Corny is the only one i know; quarantine procedures were upheld just fyi); it was a female. she made Corny look like a freaking tooth pick! she was a monster compared to Corny! i could have smacked myself right there because i have been grossly overestimating his size. he's a little noodle; definitely near 4ft, but he's little.

i'll try and get updated pics of him soon, as tonight is feeding night for him.

i have actually never questioned his sex, because i don't plan to breed and his previous owners told me the breeder said he was male, but that is an interesting part of this puzzle.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    hello everyone!!!

as of last weekend, Corny has graduated from QT! he has been eating and gaining weight just fine. i apologize for the lack of pics; yesterday was feeding day.

i am considering this chapter of our lives closed.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-13-2018),dakski (09-13-2018),Sunnieskys (09-13-2018),turning_left (10-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Nice to know that all is well -as expected- and we're always ready to admire him in another thread.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (09-13-2018)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011