Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ


» Current Poll

Would you like a section to share video links?
Sure, I'd use that.
50.00%
No, keep them separate and off the site.
1.67%
Not really bothered one way or another.
33.33%
Did that fat Scotsman just eat my pizza?!?
21.67%
Total Votes: 60
You may not vote on this poll.

» Today's Birthdays

Greg Nel (52)

» Stats

Members: 61,295
Threads: 233,455
Posts: 2,415,970
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Tpot
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Results 101 to 105 of 105
  1. #101
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,472
    Thanks
    6,602
    Thanked 4,024 Times in 2,301 Posts

    Re: Corny goes to the vet

    Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    okay guys! i got the phone call on friday: both tests came back negative. it was expensive, but it's worth the peace of mind. i asked the vet what my next steps should be and she asked if he was eating; yes. she told me to keep an eye on him and to bring him back if things don't keep improving. she seemed like she wanted to get off the phone lol, but it was a friday and i could understand. then i asked her about quarantine and she "yeah it's wise to keep him away for a while."

    what do you guys think? what do i do now? do i just keep him in QT and see if he keeps improving? also, i'm trying to get him a 40gal upgrade soon: should i hold off on that until this has all passed?

    any advice or input is much appreciated! thank you all!!!!
    That's great, Taylor!!! Awesome news!! So glad tests came back negative!

    I'm not the best person to offer advice regarding illnesses and such, but my two cents: if you have the space to keep him in QT a bit longer it can't hurt.
    I'd probably upgrade his enclosure whenever you feel confident he's eating well and regularly.
    But, again, that's just my two cents.

    Keep us posted!

    P.S. good seeing you around!
    ...life is beautiful...

    "Every man dies, not every man really lives"
    - Braveheart

    "If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
    - Layne Staley, Alice In Chains

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to craigafrechette For This Useful Post:

    tttaylorrr (07-11-2018)

  3. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Posts
    1,187
    Thanks
    1,659
    Thanked 752 Times in 508 Posts
    How long have you had him now? I'd agree that a little longer in QT is probably a good idea, but as far as I can tell, he's not actually been ill...just some
    circumstances that caused a jump to that conclusion. He's sure gonna love the 40 gal. upgrade, but as already mentioned, give him a few more meals
    where he is to "make sure", as new cages can be stressful all by themselves, so right now it might only be "stress" but you'd assume he was "sick"...ok?
    He's lucky to have you watching over him...

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    craigafrechette (07-09-2018),tttaylorrr (07-11-2018)

  5. #103
    BPnet Veteran dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    994
    Thanks
    1,317
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 622 Posts
    Images: 131

    Re: Corny goes to the vet

    Yeah, keep him in quarantine a little longer, just in case.

    Very happy, I REPEAT, very happy, tests were negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    That's awesome news!

    I had a thought. Maybe out of left field and also might have been addressed.

    Are you sure Corny is a male? Do you have recent body pics of Corny and a recent weight?

    I understand Corny is older and there was neglect and improper diet before getting to you.

    However, male corn snakes are usually a little bigger than females, but many corns don't get too big, especially females.

    I got Solana from Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles, he's been breeding corns since 1974.

    He said Figment is a big boy at 5FT and 630G. Not huge, but big. Not too many 5ft+ corn snakes out there. For what's it's worth, he thinks Figment looks great and healthy.

    He figured Solana (female and all of 9G now at 2 months) would be closer to 3FT, maybe 4FT, and 400-500G tops. He said many of his females are around or just under 3FT.

    Long story short, if Corny is a female (don't remember if the Vet sexed Corny), and healthy otherwise, Corny might be getting to full grown/proper size, and there really isn't much to worry about it.

    Anyway, a long way to go, but a thought none the less. Maybe Corny is either a small male, or a female (maybe also on the smaller side)?

    Either way, keep us in the loop, but super relieved that Corny's not sick and is eating again!

    40G is a great size for adult corns, just make sure he has plenty of hides. I kept three in the 40G I used to keep Figment in, and will have three in his 3X2' Boaphile once I split his 6X2' in half for Solana and him to share.

    I also learned a new trick from Don that Solana loves. She's too small even for the mini-hides, so Don told me to put a piece of paper towel in the hide to make it feel really snug. It has worked wonders. No more burrowing under the paper to feel secure and safe. She's always in a hide now!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    tttaylorrr (07-11-2018)

  7. #104
    BPnet Veteran tttaylorrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2014
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    4,905
    Thanks
    3,361
    Thanked 4,360 Times in 2,401 Posts
    Images: 22

    Re: Corny goes to the vet

    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    That's great, Taylor!!! Awesome news!! So glad tests came back negative!

    I'm not the best person to offer advice regarding illnesses and such, but my two cents: if you have the space to keep him in QT a bit longer it can't hurt.
    I'd probably upgrade his enclosure whenever you feel confident he's eating well and regularly.
    But, again, that's just my two cents.

    Keep us posted!

    P.S. good seeing you around!
    i will keep him in QT for 3 months starting from the phone call on friday. he's in a spare room and i miss seeing his lil face when i wake up, but he'll have to stay away for a bit longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How long have you had him now? I'd agree that a little longer in QT is probably a good idea, but as far as I can tell, he's not actually been ill...just some circumstances that caused a jump to that conclusion. He's sure gonna love the 40 gal. upgrade, but as already mentioned, give him a few more meals where he is to "make sure", as new cages can be stressful all by themselves, so right now it might only be "stress" but you'd assume he was "sick"...ok?
    He's lucky to have you watching over him...
    i have had him for a year and 4 months, from when i got him last May.

    i'll keep him in QT like i said above, and i'll also hold off on the upgrade until i'm confident he's being his noodley self; i might just wait until his QT is up.
    3.3 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow (High Contrast) het Piebald

    0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix


    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

    1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

    0.1 human
    ✌︎

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (07-11-2018)

  9. #105
    BPnet Veteran tttaylorrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2014
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    4,905
    Thanks
    3,361
    Thanked 4,360 Times in 2,401 Posts
    Images: 22

    Re: Corny goes to the vet

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Yeah, keep him in quarantine a little longer, just in case.

    Very happy, I REPEAT, very happy, tests were negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    That's awesome news!

    I had a thought. Maybe out of left field and also might have been addressed.

    Are you sure Corny is a male? Do you have recent body pics of Corny and a recent weight?

    I understand Corny is older and there was neglect and improper diet before getting to you.

    However, male corn snakes are usually a little bigger than females, but many corns don't get too big, especially females.

    I got Solana from Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles, he's been breeding corns since 1974.

    He said Figment is a big boy at 5FT and 630G. Not huge, but big. Not too many 5ft+ corn snakes out there. For what's it's worth, he thinks Figment looks great and healthy.

    He figured Solana (female and all of 9G now at 2 months) would be closer to 3FT, maybe 4FT, and 400-500G tops. He said many of his females are around or just under 3FT.

    Long story short, if Corny is a female (don't remember if the Vet sexed Corny), and healthy otherwise, Corny might be getting to full grown/proper size, and there really isn't much to worry about it.

    Anyway, a long way to go, but a thought none the less. Maybe Corny is either a small male, or a female (maybe also on the smaller side)?

    Either way, keep us in the loop, but super relieved that Corny's not sick and is eating again!

    40G is a great size for adult corns, just make sure he has plenty of hides. I kept three in the 40G I used to keep Figment in, and will have three in his 3X2' Boaphile once I split his 6X2' in half for Solana and him to share.

    I also learned a new trick from Don that Solana loves. She's too small even for the mini-hides, so Don told me to put a piece of paper towel in the hide to make it feel really snug. It has worked wonders. No more burrowing under the paper to feel secure and safe. She's always in a hide now!
    i actually "met" another adult corn snake not too long ago (Corny is the only one i know; quarantine procedures were upheld just fyi); it was a female. she made Corny look like a freaking tooth pick! she was a monster compared to Corny! i could have smacked myself right there because i have been grossly overestimating his size. he's a little noodle; definitely near 4ft, but he's little.

    i'll try and get updated pics of him soon, as tonight is feeding night for him.

    i have actually never questioned his sex, because i don't plan to breed and his previous owners told me the breeder said he was male, but that is an interesting part of this puzzle.
    3.3 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow (High Contrast) het Piebald

    0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix


    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

    1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

    0.1 human
    ✌︎

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1