Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

3 members and 3,274 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

What to breed my Blood with

So I have a Pair of VPI normal Red Bloods. Just had 17 out of 17 eggs hatch (lost 2 eggs early on). I'd like to have another female Blood to breed with my male so I can have a clutch each year. I want to skip a year on my females. I'd like something different than the normal Red. What would be a good morph to breed with a normal Red Blood? I've bred many snakes over the years but never got into the different morphs. Thanks..

Thanks
    Golden eye, matrix, and batik are great pattern morphs. I think they are incomplete dominant, so but could be wrong.

I like T positive albino and many people love the T negative albinos, but those are recessive and would only give you hets on first breeding as far as I know.

I am not an expert, but at least these will give you a few morphs to look up and research.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: What to breed my Blood with

Thanks. I get the Het and all. When it comes to the recessive,co-dominant etc, I get lost and have to look it up. I'm wanting a Morph that would be appealing to other people and the babies would look different than a normal Blood rather than just carrying a gene ( like albino)..

Thanks

Matrix, batik, and golden eye I believe are what you'd call co-dominant, meaning that you only need one copy of the gene to express it. So one parent should (in theory) give you some visual offspring and some that do not carry the gene. I am not 100% positive on golden eye, but I'm pretty sure the other two only need one copy of the gene to express the trait.

There are also some high red color-bred lines of blood (cherry bomb, etc.) but again, these would just look like a really nice normal blood, so I'd go with a pattern-based morph like the ones I listed. You might want to post in some of the blood python groups on FB also and ask for advice. Here is a link to a blood / STP specific forum that I believe is run by one of our members that breeds. You may be able to get more specific advice there.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Matrix, batik, and golden eye I believe are what you'd call co-dominant, meaning that you only need one copy of the gene to express it. So one parent should (in theory) give you some visual offspring and some that do not carry the gene. I am not 100% positive on golden eye, but I'm pretty sure the other two only need one copy of the gene to express the trait.

There are also some high red color-bred lines of blood (cherry bomb, etc.) but again, these would just look like a really nice normal blood, so I'd go with a pattern-based morph like the ones I listed. You might want to post in some of the blood python groups on FB also and ask for advice. Here is a link to a blood / STP specific forum that I believe is run by one of our members that breeds. You may be able to get more specific advice there.
    Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

Thanks

I’d honestly only do what you like they can have larger clutches (I’ve had 23 as my biggest to date) they do not sell very quickly and it may take a year or more to sell a clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk