Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

1 members and 2,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Ball Python Always Hides

I have a ~4 year old male BP, who lived in a 20 gallon for most of this time (he stayed pretty small). I got him a nice big 40-gallon terrarium about 2-3 weeks ago, and all he has done is hide under his log (located over the heating pad). This is strange to me since in his old 20 gallon tank, he used to explore the tank and bask all the time, especially at night. Though he would hide in his log, he would still explore frequently. In these 2-3 weeks in his new habitat, he hasn't left his hideout once. When I put him back in after handling, I set him on his basking branch under the light to see whether he stays there or not and he bee-lines for his hideout. Is this okay? I assumed that he was just getting used to his environment, but I'm not sure. (Is it possible he's scared? I took him to the vet right before I got his new tank to remove some retained eyecaps and ensure there was no infection. The vet had to somewhat manhandle him in order to get the eyecaps off, nothing painful or anything of course but probably scary to him. I have to apply a solution to his eyes every other night to keep them moist until he sheds them. I suspect this is very scary for him as no snake likes their head being grabbed.) Also, he used to be very curious when I held him but recently he just balls up and sits there. He also does not explore his tank before feeding time like he used to.
    Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by spottedsnake; 05-20-2018 at 03:43 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spottedsnake For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Let him get settle in. Also he doesn't like that you have to hold his head to apply the drops. That's why he's hiding from you.
    My BP got stuck shed on top of his head and neck one time and I had to help him. He did not like me after that. Every time I came in the room I would see him hide right away, when before he would come closer to the glass and watch me.

But now he's back to normal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

spottedsnake (05-20-2018)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Always Hides

Thank you for your response! I'm glad to hear he's not ill or that there's an issue with the new tank. Hopefully when the retained eyecap issue is over I can get him to trust me again. Your response is very reassuring

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spottedsnake View Post
    I have a ~4 year old male BP, who lived in a 20 gallon for most of this time (he stayed pretty small). I got him a nice big 40-gallon terrarium about 2-3 weeks ago, and all he has done is hide under his log (located over the heating pad). This is strange to me since in his old 20 gallon tank, he used to explore the tank and bask all the time, especially at night. Though he would hide in his log, he would still explore frequently. In these 2-3 weeks in his new habitat, he hasn't left his hideout once. When I put him back in after handling, I set him on his basking branch under the light to see whether he stays there or not and he bee-lines for his hideout. Is this okay? I assumed that he was just getting used to his environment, but I'm not sure. (Is it possible he's scared? I took him to the vet right before I got his new tank to remove some retained eyecaps and ensure there was no infection. The vet had to somewhat manhandle him in order to get the eyecaps off, nothing painful or anything of course but probably scary to him. I have to apply a solution to his eyes every other night to keep them moist until he sheds them. I suspect this is very scary for him as no snake likes their head being grabbed.) Also, he used to be very curious when I held him but recently he just balls up and sits there. He also does not explore his tank before feeding time like he used to.
    Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated!
    Over the years I've had the odd Royal with retained eyecaps but I was advised to soak them for 30 minutes then let them slither repeatedly through a wet , rough textured towel - applying very , very gentle pressure to the head / eye regions .

The eye caps always came off on the towel , easily enough .

Just a thought ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

spottedsnake (05-21-2018)

Thanks

Thank you for your response! I will definitely try the soak+towel combination, hopefully that works