Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

4 members and 2,947 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Found a wild turtle.

Located in western North Carolina Appalachian foothills.

He looked injured. There was a small hole in the back of his shell, and his hind legs almost looked “rotten”. I couldn’t really tell because they were the tucked in his shell. He was still moving but it appeared to be with his front legs mostly.
    Anyway, I only observed him for a moment, then left him to go on his way into a bush.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (05-20-2018)

Thanks
    Poor little guy...I hope he makes it. Beautiful find!
    ~Annie
    ~

Thanks

Re: Found a wild turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Located in western North Carolina Appalachian foothills.

He looked injured. There was a small hole in the back of his shell, and his hind legs almost looked “rotten”. I couldn’t really tell because they were the tucked in his shell. He was still moving but it appeared to be with his front legs mostly.
    Anyway, I only observed him for a moment, then left him to go on his way into a bush.
    Looks like an Easter Box Turtle, next time you may want to check online to see if there might be a wild life or reptile rescue option in your area. We're lucky to have a Turtle Conservancy in the province which will do their best to repair and rehabilitate injured turtles and return them back to the location they were found in. Depending on the time of year, and extent of injuries, they will, if possible, remove the eggs from dead or dying turtles and incubate them. I was unaware of this organization for years but glad to learn of them when I did. Someone brought me a Snapping Turtle with a broken jaw (because they know I have tortoises) and I was able to transport him to the rescue centre, who were able to repair his jaw. They wintered him over (he was found in the fall) and returned him to the site that he orignally came from the following spring.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
    Looks like an Easter Box Turtle, next time you may want to check online to see if there might be a wild life or reptile rescue option in your area. We're lucky to have a Turtle Conservancy in the province which will do their best to repair and rehabilitate injured turtles and return them back to the location they were found in. Depending on the time of year, and extent of injuries, they will, if possible, remove the eggs from dead or dying turtles and incubate them. I was unaware of this organization for years but glad to learn of them when I did. Someone brought me a Snapping Turtle with a broken jaw (because they know I have tortoises) and I was able to transport him to the rescue centre, who were able to repair his jaw. They wintered him over (he was found in the fall) and returned him to the site that he orignally came from the following spring.
    I believe in natural selection and not rescue of wild animals. If it got injured by a predator, it was meant to be. If it dies, cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I believe in natural selection and not rescue of wild animals. If it got injured by a predator, it was meant to be. If it dies, cool.
    I believe in natural selection too, but considering the fact that so much wildlife is injured or killed by humans, our activities & "our" (NOT MINE EVER!) loose pets, it seems only fair to me to help alleviate suffering when I can. But hey, that's me... poor turtle!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-19-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I believe in natural selection too, but considering the fact that so much wildlife is injured or killed by humans, our activities & "our" (NOT MINE EVER!) loose pets, it seems only fair to me to help alleviate suffering when I can. But hey, that's me... poor turtle!
    They are not rare or endangered at all here. They just have lots of natural predators. It may survive, but you know, reptiles have it hard in the wild. Its a good thing they breed a lot of eggs!!!

Thanks

Yes, definitely an eastern box turtle. They stay mostly out of sight, this is the first one I’ve seen in a long time. We had a torrential downpour and it must have driven it out to higher ground.

I took it out of a driveway and placed it in a bush near the forest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I feel the same way, if I can help the animal to continue to live and procreate, especially in it's natural environment, I will. Passenger pigeons were once abundant as well. That being said, every one has formed their own policies etc. based on their experience and information so I respect the view that doesn't interfere with natural selection. Don't always agree with it, LOL, but do respect it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

My late wife and I found a huge Alligator snapping turtle once that had been hit by a car. The shell was cracked open but the feet and head looked ok. Some blood was on the road. We used a tarp to help the big guy off the road and back to the water. I was later told that if a parasite did not set into the wound the shell would heal and he would be ok. They are resilient in general but even they have limits. Hope the guy you saved lives a long happy life after recovering.