Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,042

1 members and 2,041 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Genetics translation required

I purchased my first ball python 8 mos. ago. At the time I had no knowledge (or interest) in his genetics and purchased him because he appealed to me visually and had a wonderful disposition.
    In the meantime, I've learned more about the gazillion morphs out there, and become well and truly addicted to Ball pythons. I've since acquired a few more b.p. and am considering breeding but am giving myself 3 years to research, learn, gradually acquire equipment and supplies and just enjoy my snakes before actively getting into it.
    In the meantime, although I know more about morphs and genetics than I did when I purchased my boy, that's really not saying much. LOL The sheer number of morphs is daunting and the genetics make my head spin.
    The paperwork that came with my first snake described him as a Pastel Champagne Pinstripe 100 Het Hypo. I understand the definition of het and hypo but can't remember seeing both terms used to describe one snake before.
    I'd be grateful if someone wouldn't mind educating me on this.

Thanks
    Het hypo means he carries half the hypo gene. Where pastel is also half of the gene, but still shows because it is co-dominant, het hypo is non visual because hypo is recessive.

To take advantage of the het hypo, get a female that is either already full on hypo for the best odds, or another het hypo and hope you hit the odds.

Use world of balls' genetic calculator to see what those odds will be, and to see what % het the babies will be.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eramyl For This Useful Post:

B.P.'s 4me (05-19-2018),dr del (05-19-2018)

Thanks

Re: Genetics translation required

Quote Originally Posted by Eramyl View Post
    Het hypo means he carries half the hypo gene. Where pastel is also half of the gene, but still shows because it is co-dominant, het hypo is non visual because hypo is recessive.

To take advantage of the het hypo, get a female that is either already full on hypo for the best odds, or another het hypo and hope you hit the odds.

Use world of balls' genetic calculator to see what those odds will be, and to see what % het the babies will be.
    Thank you for that, I appreciate the explanation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Eramyl (05-20-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eramyl View Post

A het hypo does not carry half the hypo gene. Genes come in pairs, like socks. All gene pairs are either homozygous or heterozygous (slang, het). A homozygous gene pair is made up of two copies of a gene. A heterozygous gene pair is made up of two different genes. A het hypo ball python has a complete hypo gene paired with a complete normal gene (the most common gene in that gene pair in the snakes in the wild). As a het hypo ball python looks like a ball python with two copies of the normal gene, the hypo gene is recessive to the normal gene.

For more definitions, try https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...genetics-guide.

I agree with the non-quoted portion of that post.
    Last edited by paulh; 05-19-2018 at 06:32 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

B.P.'s 4me (05-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    A het hypo does not carry half the hypo gene. Genes come in pairs, like socks. All gene pairs are either homozygous or heterozygous (slang, het). A homozygous gene pair is made up of two copies of a gene. A heterozygous gene pair is made up of two different genes. A het hypo ball python has a complete hypo gene paired with a complete normal gene (the most common gene in that gene pair in the snakes in the wild). As a het hypo ball python looks like a ball python with two copies of the normal gene, the hypo gene is recessive to the normal gene.

For more definitions, try https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...genetics-guide.

I agree with the non-quoted portion of that post.
    Thank you, for the explanation and especially the link. I'm going to "copy and paste" it to a file so I have ready access to it. Thanks again.

Registered User Cloudynight1017's Avatar
    Thanks

This is how I explained het/recessive genes to my kids. It’s like having blue eyes. Blue eyes are a recessive gene. A person who has blue eyes has parents who both carry the gene (whether they themselves have blue eyes or not) My step daughter’s mother has blue eyes but my step daughter has brown eyes. Because her mom has blue eyes, my step daughter is “het” for blue eyes, as in she has the gene. I tell her someday if she wants to have a baby that has blue eyes the father needs to either have blue eyes or his parents need to have blue eyes. A het/recessive gene doesn’t show itself until there are 2 copies of it, meaning both parents carry that gene. With luck, some of the offspring will show the “visual” of the recessive gene. Just like with 2 blue eyed people (their children are going to have blue eyes) 2 visual recessive bps will produce all visual offspring. Albino for example (just because that’s one of my bps that has gone on to lays eggs this season) My albino girl (visual recessive) was paired with a ghi het albino. He is visually a ghi but is 100% a carrier for the albino gene. A visual to a 100% het makes your odds of getting a visual recessive 50%. I have a 50% chance of getting an albino morph (25% albino ghi and 25% albino...50% total). There are also different percentages of het also. If you were to breed a het to a het, all non visual offspring would be 66% het, meaning they are 2 3rds likely to be het (not a guarantee on any particular one if it is het or not since the gene isn’t presenting itself visually). 50% hets are a Het to a non visual or het. A het albino to a pastel let’s say. Those offspring are going to be 50/50 het. Some could be, others won’t be (depending on luck)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe in GOD only I spell it NATURE

0.1 Albino 0.1 Pastel 0.1 Clown
    1.0 Pastel 1.0 Firefly
    1.0 Pastel Banana 1.0 Mojave 100% Het Clown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudynight1017 View Post
    This is how I explained het/recessive genes to my kids. It’s like having blue eyes. Blue eyes are a recessive gene. A person who has blue eyes has parents who both carry the gene (whether they themselves have blue eyes or not) My step daughter’s mother has blue eyes but my step daughter has brown eyes. Because her mom has blue eyes, my step daughter is “het” for blue eyes, as in she has the gene. I tell her someday if she wants to have a baby that has blue eyes the father needs to either have blue eyes or his parents need to have blue eyes. A het/recessive gene doesn’t show itself until there are 2 copies of it, meaning both parents carry that gene. With luck, some of the offspring will show the “visual” of the recessive gene. Just like with 2 blue eyed people (their children are going to have blue eyes) 2 visual recessive bps will produce all visual offspring. Albino for example (just because that’s one of my bps that has gone on to lays eggs this season) My albino girl (visual recessive) was paired with a ghi het albino. He is visually a ghi but is 100% a carrier for the albino gene. A visual to a 100% het makes your odds of getting a visual recessive 50%. I have a 50% chance of getting an albino morph (25% albino ghi and 25% albino...50% total). There are also different percentages of het also. If you were to breed a het to a het, all non visual offspring would be 66% het, meaning they are 2 3rds likely to be het (not a guarantee on any particular one if it is het or not since the gene isn’t presenting itself visually). 50% hets are a Het to a non visual or het. A het albino to a pastel let’s say. Those offspring are going to be 50/50 het. Some could be, others won’t be (depending on luck)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for taking the time to write that detailed and helpful response. I really appreciate it !!

Thanks
    You might also want to check on genes that should not be combined or doubled up on due to genetic issues that arise. Since your current snake is champagne, I believe woma and spider are to be avoided, but I'm not sure what other genes will also interact with champagne. OWAL has a list I believe on his website of all the genes with known issues (and what not to combine with).
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS