Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

1 members and 3,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python Burrowing

Hi so I’m new to this snake business, and I just got my first snake (a cinnamon ball python) around Three months ago and so far everything seems fine, but he does some weird things that might not be that weird and I’m just being paranoid. So he is on a substrate of a mixture of Cyprus mulch, coconut fiber, and sphagnum moss. For some reason he likes to burrow around in it, Which I wouldn’t be worried about except he sometimes gets small pieces of wood or coconut fiber stuck in the sides of his mouth. He doesn’t seem to be bothered by it (still moving around, tongue flicking normally and eating normally) and I don’t know if I should leave it there for him to eventually swallow it or get it out. If anyone could offer me some advice that’d be great.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    All completely normal. They burrow, some more than others. And get some substrate stuck to their faces comes with the territory.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    What kind of heat are you using on this enclosure? UTH? If so, he might be burrowing to get closer to the heat...if substrate is too deep, it actually
    prevents some of the (UTH) heat from rising into the cage where the snake needs it. Also, what are the temperatures in the cage? I honestly don't
    like to see substrate stuck in a snake's mouth either....if he pushes hard enough, 'wood pieces' might just break the skin & cause an infection. I've
    kept BPs in the past, & never had one that burrowed.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-18-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Burrowing

So I have both and undertank Heater and a heat lamp. The temperature is right around 90, maybe a little hotter because the outside temperature is higher. Before he started burrowing he would hide all day and come out at night, but when he does burrow now (usually on the cool side by by the way) he gets under the screen that I use the separate the drainage layer and the substrate in the tank. I also am a little worried about that because I’m not 100% sure if he can find his way out. Like, he probably can but just in case I take him out from the ground at least once a day and set him on the surface to drink or whatever else. The only reasons I can think of that he would start doing this is because it has gotten a bit hotter and he is in shed and likes to be more hidden. If there’s anything else you can think of be sure to respond.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Montithicus Python View Post
    So I have both and undertank Heater and a heat lamp. The temperature is right around 90, maybe a little hotter because the outside temperature is higher.
    Just remember to check temps with an IR heat gun, this sentence makes it sound like you aren't 100%.

Thanks

What do you mean by not 100%

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Right around 90. Maybe a little hotter.

Says you are unsure. How are you regulating your temps or monitoring them?

Mine burrows because he is a goof.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Imo it sounds like he may be trying to get away from the heat, 90 is ok for the hot spot but if the temp of the whole enclosure is 90 or even a little hotter, that’s too warm and he has no way to regulate his temp and cool down. Maybe lose the heat lamp and see what your temps are, mine do fine at 80 and sometimes even a little cooler but they always have their hotspot at 90 and they do regulate between hot side and cool side.

Thanks

So far I have been using an analog thermometer but I bought a temp gun on amazon about a week ago it will be here tomorrow.

Thanks

I can try the idea of turning off the heat lamp for a little while, but will that make the cool side have enough of a difference in temperature? Sorry for being so annoying I just want to have the perfect environment for him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast