Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

2 members and 3,318 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Tank Suggestions

I am a new ball python owner. I have done a lot of research into ball pythons and had been planning on buying one from a breeder as soon as I moved within the next year. But, recently, a friend contacted me saying that she needed to re-home her ball python and asked if I wanted to take her. I believe Sally (my new BP) is undersized (approx. 32" and 500g at almost 5 years old). They also told me she only eats 3 months out of the year (I know it is normal for a BP to fast, but this seemed extreme). I think this all may be in part to her enclosure. Her previous owner gave me everything they had for her. They were using this tank that looks like a glass tank, but it is actually (melt-able) plastic and they used a heat lamp (150W bulb) that cannot be adjusted. I got a hygrometer and two thermometers as soon as I got her and found that it has been very difficult to regulate her heat and humidity with the lamp alone (it is a 40 gal tank). Either it gets too hot on the basking side, or too cool on the cool side. I have been watching it closely to make sure it stays in safe ranges for her (though the cool side is still a few degrees warmer than I would like), but if I come home at the end of the day from work I often find that the temps are off a little more than I would like. I was thinking of getting a lower wattage bulb and a UTH, but I worry the UTH would melt the plastic cage. I have also had very little luck with keeping the humidity up, even with a wet towel on part of the screen top it is hovering around 41%. Misting only seemed to help for a few minutes. I know this is most likely due to the high wattage heat lamp.

Due to all this, I am thinking it would be best for her to get a new enclosure- I am writing to see if anyone has any recommendations for an enclosure? I would prefer a glass tank, but I would love to hear other recommendations if you feel strongly about a particular system. I want to make sure she gets an environment she will be more comfortable in. (I will preface this that I know of the plastic container enclosures, rack systems, and homemade cages, but I am happy to hear more if you would like.) I was also thinking Vision Cages (www.visionproducts.us) that were recommended on another site instead of glass, if anyone has any knowledge I would appreciate it.

Since I am new, I would also love to get any other tips you can/want to give me. I want to focus on getting her a comfortable enclosure where hopefully she can thrive and, then, hopefully her feeding will regulate and she will get to a healthier size. So, if you have any tips/ideas/articles you think would be beneficial please send it my way.

Thank you! Rachel

Thanks

Re: Tank Suggestions

Are you only going to have this 1 snake or do you forsee yourself getting more than 1? Glass tanks can work well but they are MUCH harder to get all of the husbandry just perfect. Plastic tubs are much easier to get husbandry right in and are more space saving for multiple animals but they are not as attractive to look at.

I personally use plastic tubs in a rack but for my newest snake, which is not part of my breeding plans, and due to the size it will get to, I am going to buy an enclosure from Animal Plastics. I just really like the looks of their enclosures for a display type animal and have heard they they work well for keeping husbandry right.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bistem For This Useful Post:

rachel.michelle (05-17-2018)

Thanks

I plan on getting one more BP, but I don't plan on starting a breeding program or having many more. I liked the idea of glass enclosures for the sake of display, but my number one priority is her comfort. I have spent the morning looking into the Animal Plastic cages and that seems like a great option. Thank you!

Thanks
    If I may chime in,

I understand that people like glass tanks for display, but that really goes against the nature of a BP. They are secretive and like to stay out of sight. The lack of seclusion could go a long way towards explaining why this BP eats so rarely.

I use AP cages. I have a few T8s heated with RHPs, and they work awesome. They look good, are easy to clean, and if you want a second BP you could get a divided T8 and house them both. One problem with AP, there is usually a LONG delay between ordering and actually receiving the T8. I know they have it as a "quick ship" item, but I've never gotten one in less than 6 weeks.

That said, I keep buying T8s and will buy more as they are worth the wait.

You could order one now, but if it were me, I'd do something in the short term to make that BP feel more secure.

I'm no expert, but I would make a trip to Walmart and get an appropriate sized tub, not too tall (probably only 6 inches or so) a few cheap water bowls to make into hides, a UTH, substrate (aspen or "forest floor". Both work, but NO PINE or other evergreen) and a JumpStart thermostat. You can get a Jump Start on Amazon for like $30 or so. More detailed instructions for set up and construction (drilling holes and all) are on this site.

It being Spring/Summer and all, as long as you can find a warmer part of the house to keep the BP, you should be OK until the T8 arrives. Regardless and from what you describe, I would think this would be better than how the poor creature has been living.

Good luck and keep the news coming!
    Last edited by JRLongton; 05-17-2018 at 01:35 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-17-2018),MissterDog (05-17-2018),rachel.michelle (05-17-2018),Spechal (05-17-2018)

Thanks

JRLongton- Thank you for the suggestions!

When I got her, I covered three sides of her enclosure to give her a tighter feel, as I saw recommended on a few sites about glass tanks. Her old owners gave me two hides, a water dish and substrate, I added driftwood and vines to give her more coverage and make her feel more secure. I was also looking into moss to give her humidity a boost since I wasn't having much luck with the misting or towel, but I worry I will still have the same problem. I did mist the vines (not the substrate) a little more aggressively today and it seems to be holding at 50% (lower than I would like, but higher than before). Either way, I may just switch to the tub you recommended in the mean time if I can't get that up.

Thank you, also for the information on the APs. Question- what do you use for the RHP? Do you use the heat tape they will install upon ordering or did you buy external? I was looking at Pro Products RHPs after seeing someone recommend them on this site, but I also saw good reviews on the APs with their heat tape. I already emailed AP about customizing to get their recommendations on set up on their end, so I can order properly, but I would love to hear a little more about how you like to set up yours, if you don't mind sharing?

Again, thank you and Bistem for the information and suggestions! I really want to improve this little girl's life and get her healthy, so I will take any information you want to give. I would post photos, but I haven't found how to post photos yet! (I also only have one photo of her, since I have avoided handling her once I got her settled until she feeds a few times.)

Thanks

I use RHPs from ProPanel and regulate them with Herpstats. You need to call ProPanel to place an order, but Bob is great. He'll ask a few questions and tell you exactly what you need. I have mine shipped directly to AP and they install it in the enclosure. Makes for a nice, neat, and easy set up. One last caveat, you need to assemble enclosures from AP. It isn't hard, but can be a pain in the wrist if you don't have an electric drill!

My first T8 had the heat tape on the bottom. I wasn't sure if I would need it as I live in New England and Winters can get cold. As it turns out it was never used. Last Winter my snake room hit a low of 63F, and the RHPs kept everything within range.

But that applies only to me. Your situation may be different.

I don't know where you live, but if your average temps are higher, you might be able to use only the heat tape. I've of heard of lot of people doing exactly that, but they all tend to keep the ambient temp higher than is practical for me.

You'd probably be able to get your tank to work properly, but it would require a lot of maintenance and attention. I think people start with tanks because there is the idea that they look nice for display and such, but a real reptile enclosure looks much better. And better still when you get more than one, or two, or three! Frankly, nothing accents a living room like a stack of reptile enclosures!

I don't want to oversell AP and T8s though. That's all I've ever used, so my experience is limited.

There are other manufacturers out there. You mentioned Vision Cages; they are supposed to be among the best and I've heard good things about Boaphile. Reptile Basics has an enclosure that's very similar to a T8, BUT it comes already assembled, which may be something to think about. Though, I'm thinking it'll cost an arm and a leg to ship.

Truth be told, you probably can't go wrong with any of them. It comes down to a matter of preference and budget.

There's a lot to consider, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
    Last edited by JRLongton; 05-17-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks

Thank you so much! I will take that all into account. I am going to do a little more research, but I am definitely leaning towards the APs. They are a little less expensive, but still have great reviews and they look really nice! I will post if I have any questions! Thanks!

Thanks

Just let us know what you decide to do. I'm curious!

Best regards!

Thanks

I got my Animal Plastics cage set up yesterday! after taking to the people at Animal Plastics, I also took your advice and got the Pro Products heat panel. Love it and my girl seems to as well! Thank you for all your help!!!