Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

1 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Cooky... and you didn’t even know it...!!

I suppose this is more targeted towards the multiple snake owners or those who have friends or family who have other snakes...

Ever think your snake was sooo cool, chill, easy, whatever the word you choose may be... then you get or come across another snake and you are like wow mine is a Cooook??

I’m starting to have this feeling of my boy thunder. Love him to pieces but man... he’s like a spazz and a half...

Prior to owning any other BP’s or types of snakes Thunder to me was so easy and chill... or so I thought. I’d post pics of him “playing” with my kids toys etc. as my collection has grown lately I’ve noticed that he’s just a scaredy cat! Lol...

Anyone else have stories of being a new or first time owner and thinking you had such an easy going guy or gal only to acquire more or run across a friend or family members snake and be like wow I had it all wrong !!!

Here is my stealth bomber now... and in bicep pose, he would not get off my arm!! Lol. Whacky boy but I love them and love seeing the different personalities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-16-2018),redshepherd (05-16-2018),richardhind1972 (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    LOL I know that feel!

I guess it's slightly off-topic (or maybe still on topic lol), but I noticed new snake owners with one docile snake, like a ball python, almost always anthropomorphize their snake to some extent, even if they didn't mean to.

When their bp is being active during handling, it's always because they're happy and outgoing! not because they're casually looking for an escape route or a hiding spot

When their bp is being very active during the day in the enclosure, it's because they love the day time and love their enclosure! Not because there's a blaring light over them that's stressing them out or their husbandry is poor.

When their bp is tightly wrapped around their wrist or hands, it's because they either love the owner (or are trying to "constrict" them!! oh no!), and not because the bp's instinct is simply telling them they'll fall off if they don't hold on tight LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-16-2018 at 06:45 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-16-2018),Phillydubs (05-16-2018),richardhind1972 (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Your BP is so cute!!
    ~Annie
    ~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieHeart For This Useful Post:

Phillydubs (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Re: Cooky... and you didn’t even know it...!!

Hahahaha well said!!

its very very true. I guess it’s hard not to when it’s just a pet... but at the end of the day it’s an animal and any animal owner wether it be a guppy or a lion should do some basic research and know the needs habit and most info they can on said animal

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much Annie!!! He’s a cooky cutie for sure!!

scared of his own shadow I tell ya but a sweetie and a looker.

Thanks

Cuddle Bug and Daenerys are calm and chill.

Chiquita is a buzz saw. She’s slowly getting better but still goes from chill to striking in the blink of an eye. Every time she does, I cover her up from behind and keep her there for a few until she starts to relax. Then I hold her for a couple minutes and unless she strikes again, I’ll put her back in her enclosure. If she does strike then I cover her up again and repeat. I don’t ever put her right back in her enclosure once she strikes because I don’t want her to associate her striking with me leaving her alone. I always try to put her back in her enclosure on a good note.

Lt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell is bashful. He will cover his head when offered food and doesn’t strike. I then lay the rat in his hide and leave him alone. The other night I checked him after about 2 hours and he was snuggled up to it like it was a teddy bear. By morning, it was gone, so he ate it at some point. That’s pretty much how every feeding goes with him.

They all have different personalities or behavioral traits, but they are all beautiful and all cool in their own ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons
    0.1 Spinner -“Cuddle Bug”
    0.1 Banana YB - “Chiquita Bonita”
    0.1 Super Lesser BEL - “Daenerys - Mother of Dragons”
    1.0 Pastel Highway - “Lt. Pete ‘Maverick’ Mitchell

1.0 Super Citrus Bearded Dragon hopefully shipping mid-March, name pending.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

As someone who has 6 snakes and 3 species of snakes, I can clearly say they all 6 have different personalities. I should have named Bob (he is a BP) "Supper Chill" because he is just so chill unless it is feeding time and then he chases his rat down. Miss Snow (a BP) is always defensive. I was happy last night when I held her she relaxed right away and just tried to crawl off. I was a little worried because she had not left her plant in almost a week and so I felt was time to check in on her. She was ok. Shiva (a BP) is active when held but also chills when she finds a comfy warm spot. Lucy (RTB) is always so lady like. The only exception was her feeding 2 weeks ago. She must have been hungry because BAM she slammed it hard. She is so dainty with her food most days. Then there is Rainbow (Reticulated Python) Active, inquisitive, and willing to chew on anything small enough with a face.

They are as singular as people are.

Enjoy the laughs they give and love them for who they are.