Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,822

1 members and 2,821 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Ever have luck with soiled mouse substrate?

If any of you are familiar with Dkatz4, and his Burmese thread, then you know he was having feeding problems with his young Burm and had to try numerous tricks to get him back up and feeding consistently again.

I started having the exact same issues with Dexter, my male Pearl Burm. Like, the EXACT same scenario.Takes interest in the f/t rodent, but doesn't eat even if left overnight. I have tried the hairdryer method, the tuna juice method, braining, and just leaving him with the rodent....all with no such luck

Here is his feeding history per my records for the last month of so. (I feed weekly or so right now)

3/12- Rat pup
    3/14-Shed
    3/20-Rat pup
    3/27-Two rat pups (making transition to small rats, feeding off my supply)
    4/3-Two rat pups
    4/11-Small rat
    4/17-WOULDNT FEED
    4/30-WOULDNT FEED
    5/4-Small rat (left in cage overnight)
    5/12-WOULDNT FEED
    5/15-WOULDNT FEED

So, I have the soiled mouse substrate method, the chicken broth method, and Dkatz4's "buffalo bill rat" method (which invloves cutting a strip of mouse fur and tying it around the rat) )left to try.

I have started to toss the feeders that Dexter doesn't eat away because my JCP was getting double smalls as a result of his stubborn eating (too much food for her).

Wondering if any of you have had luck thawing with soiled mouse substrate? That method came recommended. I know it hasnt been long intervals of non feeding but he came to me already undersized due to maintenance feeding from the breeder, so theoretically he should be pounding food,
    Last edited by KevinK; 05-16-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    By all means, try the soiled rodent substrate. It often works. And what's there to lose?

Thanks

Re: Ever have luck with soiled mouse substrate?

I almost gave up trying to convert my BP to f/t rats from f/t mice. I spent months trying everything and nothing seemed to work until I tried mouse bedding. I don't thaw the mice w/ the bedding but only thaw by themselves, heat w/ hair dryer and then quickly dip them in the bedding (which smells pretty bad). The 1st time, my BP went crazy and quickly ate up his 1st rat. It's worked 3 weeks in a row and I hope I'm not jinxing myself when I try again tomorrow night when I go up a size in rats! Good luck.

Thanks
    I had problems with my young Retic at first, not eating F/T rats. i tried different things too but eventually got him going by giving him a live mouse followed by a F/T rat. I know people don't agree with the live thing and I'm no expert but now after 2 such feedings he is taking F/T rats no problems. I did give him smaller food items since he was getting 2 of them. Also I found out that he was picky about temps. I started temping them with a temp gun. 101-103 seems to be the sweet spot. Anything under 100 he doesn't show interest and going over can have nasty results, like exploding belly, ask me how i know
    Last edited by Stout76; 05-16-2018 at 08:54 PM.