Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,205

2 members and 3,203 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: white lipped python breeders?

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Great picture, that’s one hell of a stunning snake them white lips stand out so well against the iridescent dark body
    The white lip and the Angolan python would probably be the only pythons that I really would love in my collection of boas

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Thank you!

What you can't see is how tightly he holds onto my hand - the female does the same thing - it's different than any other snake I own. Sometimes it's so tight that it restricts blood flow and my hands tingle when he loosens his grip.

I brought the female home first and she felt like she was trying to squeeze the life out of my hand. It was very unnerving, to say the least. I don't like to interact with her much because I feel it stresses her out. I'm waiting on PVC enclosures for everyone and she will be a set up and observe type of snake. I feel she truly lives up to the White-Lipped reputation.

Here's a poor photo sort of showing off the iridescence. You can also see the black edging on the scales that give it the fishnet appearance, along with that rich golden yellow that is characteristic of the Northerns

Last edited by PiperPython; 05-19-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (05-19-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-19-2018),hilabeans (05-19-2018),MissterDog (05-19-2018),redshepherd (05-21-2018),Reinz (05-19-2018),richardhind1972 (05-19-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

That iridescence is just insane and so cool.
    I’ve heard there not the best with handling and seem to have quite a grumpy reputation.worth the effort with something that stunning tho thanks for sharing the pics

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Awesome looking snake Piper. I sure hope more folks get these. I’d love to see more pics.
    It appears that the Southern WP is less common than the Northern. My understanding is that the Southern in a longer snake. I can’t see that being the reason. It appears just as many people want a smaller snake.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Amazing snakes Piper - any husbandry tips?
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    Amazing snakes Piper - any husbandry tips?
    Sure, I keep mine around a 90* hotspot and an ambient of 85 - her cool side is near the back and she seems to regulate herself. The male came later and apparently picked up some mites while he was at his other home, so he's sort of in a weird transitory-treatment phase.

I keep my humidity around 70% but it does fluctuate up and down. To my knowledge, they have very thin skin which can be a problem for shedding. Her first shed was a bit rough. He is currently in blue, so we will see how that goes.

They are very shy snakes. Nervous, in general. Mine definitely utilize climbing branches and carve trenches through the substrate. I have read that they may regurgitate fur after digesting the nutrients from their prey. I haven't experienced that yet.

I'll keep updating with my experience.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (05-25-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-21-2018),redshepherd (05-21-2018),richardhind1972 (05-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    I brought the female home first and she felt like she was trying to squeeze the life out of my hand. It was very unnerving, to say the least. I don't like to interact with her much because I feel it stresses her out.
    You say this and I'm pretty sure I've had this exact experience with my GTP! I never heard of it before and it was very unnerving, like you said lol. I also then concluded that something about handling really stressed her out to the point of doing that, and no idea what goes through their minds when it happens. She suddenly became solid as stone and unmoving, and gripping my hand seemingly harder than she would even grip prey, totally breaking off my circulation. She stopped reacting to stimuli and did not move at all, like her brain shut off! I think I might have ended up running her under cold water or something and she finally snapped back into reality and loosened.

Since then, I learned you can unwrap snakes backwards by the tail first haha
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-21-2018 at 05:12 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-21-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    Sure, I keep mine around a 90* hotspot and an ambient of 85 - her cool side is near the back and she seems to regulate herself. The male came later and apparently picked up some mites while he was at his other home, so he's sort of in a weird transitory-treatment phase.

I keep my humidity around 70% but it does fluctuate up and down. To my knowledge, they have very thin skin which can be a problem for shedding. Her first shed was a bit rough. He is currently in blue, so we will see how that goes.

They are very shy snakes. Nervous, in general. Mine definitely utilize climbing branches and carve trenches through the substrate. I have read that they may regurgitate fur after digesting the nutrients from their prey. I haven't experienced that yet.

I'll keep updating with my experience.
    Thank you - sorry about the mites - I'll put him in a 4'x2'x2' with a shelf and ample perches. Yes - the hairball thing is wild!
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If you can get your hands on a southern white-lip - I would highly suggest that. They're known to be much calmer.

Man, the male is NOT happy in his bare minimum cage due to the continued mite treatment (fingers crossed, haven't seen any since the first treatment, but I'd rather be thorough.). I came into the room and he started pinging the glass, so I need to figure out how to make him more comfortable. I'm almost considering switching him to a tub temporarily instead of his glass exo-terra. My stack of PVC cages can't come soon enough

If I cannot get these two to calm down and get settled, then I don't even think I am going to try to link them up. However, I am wondering if the pheromone cue from the female being nearby would have any effect on his personality, maybe divert his attention from defense to seeking a mate.

I should add that they both recently shed and both had great 1-piece sheds, so I'm thinking 60-70% is good for daily humidity, and then trying to bump it up at the first sign of impending shed worked. (Both also have moss-filled hides).
    Last edited by PiperPython; 06-03-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (06-04-2018)

Thanks

Uhoh! There's a CH '17 pair of Northerns that posted on Kingsnake today!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I took the male out in the sun for a bit. He's doing much better now - I'm sure we are both relieved. My quarantine room has grown, but i will be keeping everyone in there for a while longer.

He's actually very sweet once he's out of the cage - just still makes me a bit nervous since his mood can change within an instant since he is so nervous.

Untitled by Saarang Desai, on Flickr
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (06-28-2018),hilabeans (06-26-2018),Prognathodon (06-27-2018),richardhind1972 (06-26-2018),Team Slytherin (06-26-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast