Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,758

0 members and 2,758 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Taking sneks outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    How...do you mix up a copperhead and a rectic...?
    It helps to be an idiot.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spechal View Post
    No risk of mites or any other parasites making there way back into enclosures? I'd like to get mine back outside, but I've only ever taken one out and other than freaking out the neighbors, she was fine. Still curious though ... especially about mights due to my currently battle with a store bought boa.

edit: I apparently missed a lot of posts prior to my reply. My bad.
    As far as I know, snake mites that are so easily shared in retail reptiles are NOT native mites & not typically found in our native herps...but that doesn't
    mean your snake can't pick up something lethal like cryptosporidiosis from native reptiles that may have passed thru your yard. Natives can & do die from it.

While trees may seem "safer" than the ground, don't forget that birds can carry plenty of things too. Also, wild snakes climb trees.

Call me chicken, but if I take my snakes outside, they remain in my hands. Here ticks are prevalent as are spiders & all sorts of wildlife that have parasites.
    (I vaguely remember from many years back that a guy's snake died from what was deduced to be a spider bite in his own enclosure. Spiders can kill us, so
    certainly that's another possibility?)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-17-2018 at 11:38 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

littlemaxbigworld (05-17-2018),Spechal (05-17-2018)

Registered User littlemaxbigworld's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    How...do you mix up a copperhead and a rectic...?
    Hahaha I thought the same thing. Snake fear is real though. I’m always astounded when people are terrified of my python noodle and won’t even go in the same room. I’m like, look, you realize that my gosh darn *cat* could do an immense amount of damage if it wanted to hurt you, your dog could literally murder you, and you’re afraid of something with virtually no teeth or capability of doing damage to you. Even full grown she’s essentially harmless. You piss my cat off or someone’s dog off? You’re totally effed. Now snakes in the wild I get because things like the fer-de-lance and rattlers and giiiiant constrictors exist. But like you wouldn’t just go pet a random wolf in the wild either. Use your logic and stop making jokes about how you want to run my snake over with your car. Zero chill.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littlemaxbigworld For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-17-2018),Godzilla78 (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littlemaxbigworld View Post
    Hahaha I thought the same thing. Snake fear is real though. I’m always astounded when people are terrified of my python noodle and won’t even go in the same room. I’m like, look, you realize that my gosh darn *cat* could do an immense amount of damage if it wanted to hurt you, your dog could literally murder you, and you’re afraid of something with virtually no teeth or capability of doing damage to you. Even full grown she’s essentially harmless. You piss my cat off or someone’s dog off? You’re totally effed. Now snakes in the wild I get because things like the fer-de-lance and rattlers and giiiiant constrictors exist. But like you wouldn’t just go pet a random wolf in the wild either. Use your logic and stop making jokes about how you want to run my snake over with your car. Zero chill.
    Ditto. Exactly my thoughts

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-17-2018),littlemaxbigworld (05-17-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would go pet a random wolf in the woods if it would let me get close enough .
    Last edited by bmwood; 05-17-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

Registered User littlemaxbigworld's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwood View Post
    I would go pet a random wolf in the woods if it would let me get close enough .
    Hahaha I’m pretty afraid of wild predators. I go backpacking a ton in the summer and even though I’ve never seen a bear or wild cat let me tell you: I hope I never do. Unless it’s from really really far away on the other side of a ridge and it doesn’t care that I’m there. D:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hahaha I’m pretty afraid of wild predators. I go backpacking a ton in the summer and even though I’ve never seen a bear or wild cat let me tell you: I hope I never do. Unless it’s from really really far away on the other side of a ridge and it doesn’t care that I’m there. D:
    Honestly wolves are a lot like snakes, People dont understand them, there has never been a recorded attack in america on a person by a healthy wolf. they would much rather avoid you then even get close to you. I used to have a pet timber wolf when i lived in Louisiana, one of the best pets I ever had.
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

Thanks
    Most of my neighbors believe there are only two types of snakes. Copperheads and water moccasins. I’m sure if they saw my Blood they’d think water moccasin. They called my over one shouting and completely hysterical about a snake. Turned out to be a legless lizard. Know some people that killed a red bellied water snake. When we told him it wasn’t a water moccasin he said “he’s been killing snakes for 20 years I know what a water moccasin is.” I said most people that kill snakes for being snakes don’t typically know anything about snakes. Had to save a very pretty corn snake from him.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stout76 For This Useful Post:

bmwood (05-17-2018),Bogertophis (05-17-2018),Godzilla78 (05-17-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stout76 View Post
    Most of my neighbors believe there are only two types of snakes. Copperheads and water moccasins. I’m sure if they saw my Blood they’d think water moccasin. They called my over one shouting and completely hysterical about a snake. Turned out to be a legless lizard. Know some people that killed a red bellied water snake. When we told him it wasn’t a water moccasin he said “he’s been killing snakes for 20 years I know what a water moccasin is.” I said most people that kill snakes for being snakes don’t typically know anything about snakes. Had to save a very pretty corn snake from him.
    People are such ass hats
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda