Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,476

0 members and 2,476 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    You always make me really want a BC! More than I already casually want one that is! I was just browsing boas classifieds yesterday.

Your boy is beautiful and sounds wonderful in temperament!

Have you ever experienced random bites while handling, lke assuming everything is calm and there's no reason to suddenly act defensively? The only thing that's been keeping me away from boas is seeing posts every once in awhile of "random bites out of nowhere" during handling. Though I'm sure some (or all, maybe) of the posts could be from unknowledgeable owners with poor husbandry or something.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-15-2018 at 07:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Now that’s a snake! He’s definitely not natty. You’ve got him juiced up and pumping weights in that gym.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Looks good. Sniper is about the same size as Rosey who is about the same age too. i remember we got our boas about the same time lol. Maybe i am underfeeding Rosey. She is only about 7 feet too. She has gone into a growth spurt though and shed about a month ago and is in blue again, but i did bump her food intake up as its spring time now.

You did forget Pucallpa Peruvian BCC though!! But to be honest, Pucallpa and Iquitos are pretty close towns. I was looking at a yearling imported Iquitos Peruvian with CITES papers awhile ago but the gal was only selling them as pairs.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Not a one hander.

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    You always make me really want a BC! More than I already casually want one that is! I was just browsing boas classifieds yesterday.

Have you ever experienced random bites while handling, lke assuming everything is calm and there's no reason to suddenly act defensively? The only thing that's been keeping me away from boas is seeing posts every once in awhile of "random bites out of nowhere" during handling. Though I'm sure some (or all, maybe) of the posts could be from unknowledgeable owners with poor husbandry or something.
    No random bites! These guys in general are some very docile captives.

Really, I can’t think of a better semi large constrictor to own.

I’ve been bitten twice by this guy. Once as a juvey and the last time I had it coming.

No issues with either bite.

There are people that only own boas and I can see the reasoning.

Go get one👍👍😊

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-16-2018),richardhind1972 (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post

New to Boa's (I got Behira at 1 1/3 years old in October of 2017). She's more than doubled in size since then. She's incredibly calm and docile and not shy at all. She does very well with redirection and is a total joy.

Having said that (and mentioned below). Strongest feeding response of any snake I've ever had. Got nailed in February because she was thinking food and I went to pick her up while her head was around one of her hides and she couldn't see my hand. She thought RAT!!!! As soon as I touched her, she nailed me, but let go immediately and was like, "sorry dad, I was hoping you were a rat." and let me pick her right up.

Because of that and how big she will be, I started hook training her then. It's gone great! She still strikes at the acrylic doors when it's feeding time, but I don't think she would ever attempt to bite me once picked up. Plus, the hook training gets her out of food mode and there have been zero issues since.

She doesn't spook easy like my BP and is incredibly brave and curious. I don't think I could scare or spook her if I tried. Her personality is awesome.

I think Boa's are very predictable, especially once out and being handled. Super tame if handled and since they don't startle easy and are (generally) not aggressive. Not sure why/how you would get a defensive bite while handling a tame boa. Another story when they are thinking FOOD! I definitely encourage hook training. Having said that, the bite was harmless. Barely hurt. I've heard the same thing from people who keep adult boas. More scary than anything. Wasn't expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    No random bites! These guys in general are some very docile captives.

Really, I can’t think of a better semi large constrictor to own.

I’ve been bitten twice by this guy. Once as a juvey and the last time I had it coming.

No issues with either bite.

There are people that only own boas and I can see the reasoning.

Go get one👍👍😊

Gio,

He's beautiful and healthy!

Looks great!

Do you know how much he weighs? Just curious.

Can't wait until Behira gets up to size. She's two in June and about 900G now. Has yet to refuse any meal! Killer feeding response! Haven't seen anything like it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-16-2018)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is big because you take him to the gym with you.
    - Mason

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-16-2018),richardhind1972 (05-16-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Think there may be a bit of Steroid abuse too lol
    looking at the size that big guy he really is so great, that's why I have 12 boas,they are so great, I just love how solid they are

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous !!

Did I say gorgeous ?!?

he really is a husky fella now isn’t he!! Can barely see your arm lol!!

most of it has already been said but I’ll keeo it simple. BOAS ROCK!!!

Im sure the BP owners are gong to slam me and trust me I love all 3 of mine they are friendly and unique and great snakes but once I got my first boa, a dwarf at that, I said man if I got a boa first I don’t know if I would have ever gotten a BP. Again just based on the handling, the activity, and the all around fearless behavior.

Hence why I recently got another. It was like eating at me that I only had one...

anyways he’s amazing and I can’t wait to see him progress more and more. Keep sharing !!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-16-2018),richardhind1972 (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous !!

Did I say gorgeous ?!?

he really is a husky fella now isn’t he!! Can barely see your arm lol!!

most of it has already been said but I’ll keeo it simple. BOAS ROCK!!!

Im sure the BP owners are gong to slam me and trust me I love all 3 of mine they are friendly and unique and great snakes but once I got my first boa, a dwarf at that, I said man if I got a boa first I don’t know if I would have ever gotten a BP. Again just based on the handling, the activity, and the all around fearless behavior.

Hence why I recently got another. It was like eating at me that I only had one...

anyways he’s amazing and I can’t wait to see him progress more and more. Keep sharing !!!
    I certainly understand this. We bought the royal here 6 years ago as a 9th Bday gift for our son. I knew that at 9 he would not be the primary care giver, so I ended up diving into the research. She'll be a 7 year old snake the end of July and she's been perfect the whole time.
    However, that snake hooked me and brought me into the hobby.

I wanted something bigger, busier and boas led the list. I'm surprised I only have one boa.

But carpets and the SD x Dwarf retics are awesome too.

That said, if I ever get another snake, I will likely get a locality boa constrictor again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12