Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 860

2 members and 858 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Ball python won't eat

Quote Originally Posted by Agro View Post
    I just tried to offer her the food, she was triggered by the smell of the rat, roaming the whole vivarium for it, but when I offer she looks like she can't see it, and she still roams her enclosure.
    I have warmed up the small rat for her and tried both mine and hairdryer tip both wont work, no reaction from her side.
    The secret is to wait until they are UNDER a hide then dangle a WARM mouse / rat in front of the hide entrance .. this rarely fails unless they're in shed or poorly or off their food due to breeding season or something...

If they show the slightest of interest you simply reheat with the hairdryer and offer again INSTANTLY whilst still warm , keep repeating until it's grabbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    The secret is to wait until they are UNDER a hide then dangle a WARM mouse / rat in front of the hide entrance .. this rarely fails unless they're in shed or poorly or off their food due to breeding season or something...

If they show the slightest of interest you simply reheat with the hairdryer and offer again INSTANTLY whilst still warm , keep repeating until it's grabbed

I was offering her around for 30 minutes until she just turned her head away and curled up more ( she was under her cork hide so I could see her a bit), the rat was warm from 98-100F, she showed a bit of interest but still nothing.
    She seems fine, normal ball python activity.
    I have feeling she might be in shed again as her last shed was month ago and after that she took two large weaner rats. I have noticed some "dried" looking scales like month ago Merida had before shed, and her color is duller(or I am imagining that), but there is no other sign, like pink belly etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

I just tried to offer her the food, she was triggered by the smell of the rat, roaming the whole vivarium for it, but when I offer she looks like she can't see it, and she still roams her enclosure.
    I have warmed up the small rat for her and tried both mine and hairdryer tip both wont work, no reaction from her side.
    so IMO: "roaming the whole viv" during a feeding would not seem like a feeding response to me, but a stress response. my beeps all hide or at least pose/stay still when food is near by. they only move when moving towards the feeder.

i hope this gives some insight.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    so IMO: "roaming the whole viv" during a feeding would not seem like a feeding response to me, but a stress response. my beeps all hide or at least pose/stay still when food is near by. they only move when moving towards the feeder.

Yes I'd agree with you on this .

Thanks

I was offering her around for 30 minutes until she just turned her head away and curled up more ( she was under her cork hide so I could see her a bit), the rat was warm from 98-100F, she showed a bit of interest but still nothing.
    She seems fine, normal ball python activity.
    I have feeling she might be in shed again as her last shed was month ago and after that she took two large weaner rats. I have noticed some "dried" looking scales like month ago Merida had before shed, and her color is duller(or I am imagining that), but there is no other sign, like pink belly etc.
    So during that 30 minutes ( you showed great patience ) how many times do you reheat it with the hairdryer ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post

I'll be away for a while, so she will be completely left alone ( as I keep her in my room) and then I'll try again, maybe that will do something :l

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    So during that 30 minutes ( you showed great patience ) how many times do you reheat it with the hairdryer ?

I did reheat it 4 times or more with hairdryer and then continued with the lamp as it was late and didn't want to wake up my family.
    I'll leave her for a week, I'll only change the water and maybe that will help :l

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Agro For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-16-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12