Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,753

0 members and 2,753 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Large Scale Printmaking

(Pun intended)
    Wanted to share a progression of a new large scale relief print/wood carving that I’m working on in my studio. I’ve got my MFA in Printmaking from Syracuse University and currently teach drawing and design at Mississippi State University but I’ve always been drawing, painting, making something since I was three years old. This is a project just for the hell of it, because sometimes you just need to make big prints of things you enjoy for no other reason than that. 2’x4’ MDF board. Still need to carve all the background, just gonna be thousands of blades of grass. I’ll update once I’ve got all of that carved and then printed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 05-11-2018 at 10:03 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-12-2018),dr del (05-11-2018),Dxw425 (06-15-2018),hilabeans (05-12-2018),redshepherd (05-11-2018),richardhind1972 (05-12-2018),Sonny1318 (05-12-2018),the_rotten1 (05-12-2018),tttaylorrr (05-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Large Scale Printmaking

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!!!! HOLY COW! how long did this take you???

i have my BFA but my focus was Graphic Design; my degree requirements changed the year i applied, which didn't require Printmaking anymore. all of my colleagues that took it were sooo overworked and stressed by it, i literally felt like i dodged a bullet.

this is so damn impressive. huge kudos, what a project!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!!!! HOLY COW! how long did this take you???

i have my BFA but my focus was Graphic Design; my degree requirements changed the year i applied, which didn't require Printmaking anymore. all of my colleagues that took it were sooo overworked and stressed by it, i literally felt like i dodged a bullet.

this is so damn impressive. huge kudos, what a project!!!
    I haven’t really kept an accurate time log on this but I’d guesstimate around 50hours or more from the initial sketch on the board to the current state of carving. 10 of those hours were today and yesterday.
    I think Printmaking should be required for graphic designers, and I tell my students that. That’s pretty much what graphic design was born out of: creating imagery in multiples in order to communicate to a larger audience more effectively and efficiently. The birth of mass media really

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Awesome talent and great looking piece.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I haven’t really kept an accurate time log on this but I’d guesstimate around 50hours or more from the initial sketch on the board to the current state of carving. 10 of those hours were today and yesterday.
    I think Printmaking should be required for graphic designers, and I tell my students that. That’s pretty much what graphic design was born out of: creating imagery in multiples in order to communicate to a larger audience more effectively and efficiently. The birth of mass media really

...yeah but...we have computers now.

i tease. you're absolutely right about the history of it. i was always impressed at my friends' work in that studio class; having to basically work upside down and backwards. 3D/sculpture was so tough for me because i struggle to think that way and with spatial recognition. some of my friends took on such ambitious Printmaking projects, it was nuts. all of us walking around to different studios at 3am to check out what everyone was working on was a common thing in the art building. we'd get to the Printmaking studio and everyone was just beat and tired like ".....yeah that's it." lol.

thank you so much for sharing this. this is amazing work!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-11-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-11-2018)

Thanks

...yeah but...we have computers now.

i tease. you're absolutely right about the history of it. i was always impressed at my friends' work in that studio class; having to basically work upside down and backwards. 3D/sculpture was so tough for me because i struggle to think that way and with spatial recognition. some of my friends took on such ambitious Printmaking projects, it was nuts. all of us walking around to different studios at 3am to check out what everyone was working on was a common thing in the art building. we'd get to the Printmaking studio and everyone was just beat and tired like ".....yeah that's it." lol.

thank you so much for sharing this. this is amazing work!
    Oh I miss those days of being a studio rat with everyone into the wee hours... debating doing back to the studio now and working on a different project that’s been on the back burner for a couple weeks. My primary process that I work in is mezzotint engraving. It’s my favorite thing ever. Here’s a sneak peek of one of the copper plates I’m currently engraving

Part of a larger series of work about an abandoned mall and how shifts in consumer culture and capitalism has impacted the appearance of the landscape and the architecture that we’ve built on it

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-15-2018),richardhind1972 (05-12-2018),tttaylorrr (05-11-2018)

Thanks

Large Scale Printmaking

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Awesome talent and great looking piece.
    Thanks ziggy! Once I get it finished, inked, and printed I’ll decide how large of an edition to print. Probably not a huge edition since I’ll have to print it by hand using wooden spoons to burnish the ink onto paper. Someday I’ll buy my own printing press... lol

Last edited by jmcrook; 05-11-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks

Oh I miss those days of being a studio rat with everyone into the wee hours... debating doing back to the studio now and working on a different project that’s been on the back burner for a couple weeks. My primary process that I work in is mezzotint engraving. It’s my favorite thing ever. Here’s a sneak peek of one of the copper plates I’m currently engraving

Part of a larger series of work about an abandoned mall and how shifts in consumer culture and capitalism has impacted the appearance of the landscape and the architecture that we’ve built on it

WOW.

...just wow. a Master you are indeed. the way you painted the light is wonderful. the composition, the subject matter, what a cool piece.

i do a lot of logowork; it would be cool to make a...etching? (what's the term? lol) of one of them. do you have any links or resources for someone wanted to get their toes wet?

i worked at a printing press in college; i ran the silkscreen and made all the emulsions and screens and ran the inks. that's about as close to printmaking as i got.

i miss being a studio rat myself. my junior year they attempted to star a curfew of the buildings, and you needed a signed and authorised pass to be inside. well, every single art professor gave us the passes whenever we needed, and even insisted we call them if we had an issue. this policy didn't last into my senior year LOL.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

WOW.

...just wow. a Master you are indeed. the way you painted the light is wonderful. the composition, the subject matter, what a cool piece.

i do a lot of logowork; it would be cool to make a...etching? (what's the term? lol) of one of them. do you have any links or resources for someone wanted to get their toes wet?

i worked at a printing press in college; i ran the silkscreen and made all the emulsions and screens and ran the inks. that's about as close to printmaking as i got.

i miss being a studio rat myself. my junior year they attempted to star a curfew of the buildings, and you needed a signed and authorised pass to be inside. well, every single art professor gave us the passes whenever we needed, and even insisted we call them if we had an issue. this policy didn't last into my senior year LOL.
    Not painted, carved out of copper lol. Google “mezzotint”... much faster than me spraining my thumbs trying to explain it 🤣
    I’d suggest trying to find a community printshop wherever you are if you’re interested in learning some of the processes. I’d offer to help but I’m not even allowed to use the printmaking facilities at the University where I teach... it’s complete and total BS and as such I’m interviewing for another job where I’d be eventually running the print department if all goes well at my interview/teaching demo (cross your fingers for me!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-12-2018)

Thanks

Not painted, carved out of copper lol. Google “mezzotint”... much faster than me spraining my thumbs trying to explain it 🤣
    i used the term painting to compliment you on your rendering/technique bc it looks amazing. i know what mezzotint is.

good luck with the job prospect! i hope if you get it that means we get to see more work!!!
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-11-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast