Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,103

1 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Internships

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Internships

have u ever done an internship? or apprenticeship? or something like that? how did it work out?

we are having interns this summer. i just got back from recruiting and presenting at the university about our work. who wants to be an intern for a non-profit healthcare? it's paid, full-time 40hours a week, for 6 weeks, so u can still have a lil time for yourself this summer for tanning, partying and traveling or whatever. we have like 12 slots for preferably like-minded progressives. must be a college student.

wouldn't it be cool to learn how to make coffee, route phonecalls, work on spreadsheets, help assemble mailings, etc. etc. essentially u might be doing my admin work for me while i play around on RP.net. oh u might even learn about the healthcare biz while your here.

anyways looky those tardy students sneaking to their seats in the back.

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I did one with Westinghouse Electric back when I was in college (the first time, 30-ish years ago).

The pay was nice ($15/hour), full-time during the summer, part-time 2 days / 16 hours per week during the school year, with classes loaded up on the other 3 weekdays and the evenings.

The job was mindlessly boring; pre-computers so the vast majority of what I did was on paper (aircraft parts & vendor updates), and reams of it.

Work environment was fun, and it was cool being a wet-behind-the-ears newbie listening to advice from the older BTDT employees.

Thanks

Re: Internships

I actually ended up training two full time employees in the second summer of my summer-only internship. It was state government environmental compliance and permitting work. I also did some other cool and unique stuff for it. I was, shall we say obsessively driven perhaps? back then. The more I achieved, the more responsibility they let me have, I did organize one bookshelf, but I think that's the only make-work type thing I did the entire time.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I did one with Westinghouse Electric back when I was in college (the first time, 30-ish years ago).

The pay was nice ($15/hour), full-time during the summer, part-time 2 days / 16 hours per week during the school year, with classes loaded up on the other 3 weekdays and the evenings.
    WOW $15 thirty-years ago was alotta $$$!! it's still a good amount and higher than the minimum wage these days!

The job was mindlessly boring; pre-computers so the vast majority of what I did was on paper (aircraft parts & vendor updates), and reams of it.

Work environment was fun, and it was cool being a wet-behind-the-ears newbie listening to advice from the older BTDT employees.
    lol pre-computers. i can't even imagine living w/o my cell phone. anyways those were the good ol' days of honest work. but i'm sure computers and automation has increased productivity for that work.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    I actually ended up training two full time employees in the second summer of my summer-only internship. It was state government environmental compliance and permitting work. I also did some other cool and unique stuff for it. I was, shall we say obsessively driven perhaps? back then. The more I achieved, the more responsibility they let me have, I did organize one bookshelf, but I think that's the only make-work type thing I did the entire time.
    lol what kinda bookshelf?
    Last edited by Ax01; 05-10-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    AW!! Good luck with your interns!

I interned at L aika for concept art on their films (and on K ubo), that was 4 years ago. One of my drawings is actually in the K ubo art book but my credit in the book was given to my supervisor instead of me... lol.

And then interned at D reamworks Animation in their products department for concept art, that was also 3.5 years ago.

I learned a TON at L aika though, so even though the interns don't get credit (which is... still lame), it was really worth it for my growth as an artist.

I didn't learn as much art-wise at D reamworks but it was a lot of fun!

(putting spaces between the studio name letters, so that people googling can't find this post. omg)
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-10-2018 at 04:55 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Kcl (05-10-2018),MD_Pythons (05-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    WOW $15 thirty-years ago was alotta $$$!! it's still a good amount and higher than the minimum wage these days!

lol pre-computers. i can't even imagine living w/o my cell phone. anyways those were the good ol' days of honest work. but i'm sure computers and automation has increased productivity for that work.

Edit:

lol what kinda bookshelf?
    Bookshelf filled with a specific type of report over several decades. Compiled the results, graphed changes, and organized the reports by submitting company and year.

Oh, there was also the GIS project that seemed like a good idea but turned out useless. We expected the data we had to be higher quality than it was.
    Last edited by Kcl; 05-10-2018 at 05:04 PM.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

True, but no benefits like insurance, PTO, etc. either.

I look now at what I did back then and it's like... I could probably accomplish what I did in a day in a few minutes, or more likely some programmer would have just automated the whole process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    AW!! Good luck with your interns!

I interned at L aika for concept art on their films (and on K ubo), that was 4 years ago. One of my drawings is actually in the K ubo art book but my credit in the book was given to my supervisor instead of me... lol.

And then interned at D reamworks Animation in their products department for concept art, that was also 3.5 years ago.

I learned a TON at L aika though, so even though the interns don't get credit (which is... still lame), it was really worth it for my growth as an artist.

I didn't learn as much art-wise at D reamworks but it was a lot of fun!

(putting spaces between the studio name letters, so that people googling can't find this post. omg)
    how many times did u have to go on a coffee run? studios seem like the get me coffee-type. last year, an intern went on a coffee run for us and forgot to get the reciept. yep, we sent him back to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    Bookshelf filled with a specific type of report over several decades. Compiled the results, graphed changes, and organized the reports by submitting company and year.
    that's seems alot more complicated than i thought.

True, but no benefits like insurance, PTO, etc. either.
    alotta internships are still unpaid tho. the interns are paid in "experience time"

Edit: what's the scoop on T he L ion K ing remake?
    Last edited by Ax01; 05-10-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

how many times did u have to go on a coffee run? studios seem like the get me coffee-type. last year, an intern went on a coffee run for us and forgot to get the reciept. yep, we sent him back to get it.
    omg what! They never asked us to go on coffee runs or errands haha, but maybe it's the culture of different fields
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-10-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did this when I was younger working with venomous snakes.

On the flip side I have three people that will be paying me to teach them how to work with venomous, as in Louisiana you have to have 500 hours of documented experience in order to obtain your restricted snake permit.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-13-2018)