Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

1 members and 3,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Which one

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • SD retic moprh

6 15.79%
  • Moonglow BCI

5 13.16%
  • Peruvian BCC

0 0%
  • Red Neo Sorong type GTP

2 5.26%
  • Amazon Basin ETB

6 15.79%
  • Black Headed Python

19 50.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: My turn!! What next!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Hahaha, actually probably not. I still need to order and have the RHP shipped to AP for Pats cage. Also need to pay off Pats cage still. Also need to get the valve cover gasket and t-stat and upper and lower radiator hoses done on my car. Will probably do the valve cover gasket myself but not sure i want to mess with coolant and doing the radiator hoses and t-stat lol. Might just let the dealership mess with that. Also need a freakin lawn mower as mine died on me. Also need to get all the stuff for Pats new cage like the manzanita wood, perch holders, elevated water bowl holder, plants and all that stuff. So if i did get a BHP, it wouldnt be for a few months still. And like i said, i really didnt know they get to like 10 feet. That is kind of putting me off and i might go the smaller route with Woma or stick to my original plan of a red neo GTP, preferably a Sorong type or Jayapura type. And honestly, i should really buckle down and get a dang chest freezer as Caesar is eating big food now.

If anything, python master Ziggy will beat us both to a BHP haha.
    I can't believe you haven't picked up a chest at HD yet..they are cheap enough. I've been happy with the one I got from there.

I hear ya when it comes to housing needs - I just ordered a 5th T10 for my sunglow, he's currently in a divided T10 that my Caulkers Cay is on the other side. They are both pushing 42" so I want them to be able to stretch a little as I've noticed my BCI (now around 44") seems to enjoy the stretch since moving him into a full T10 and LOVES the new water bowl that is big enough to soak in, he practically lives in the water now....Yes, my temps and humidity are on point and he doesn't have mites, just seems to enjoy a soak from time to time.

The BHP adult size is a housing concern as you'd need to get, at minimum, a T65 at $600 plus shipping, not to mention initial cost for the snake around $1600-$2000....

i just saw Richard at Reptile Rapture has a beautiful golden white lipped python available - it was in blue when I was there but still looked amazing....I may just jump on that instead - a unique addition for my collection. That would mean another T12 to match the one my carpet is in :-)

Good luck with your car - I've got some issues with my truck as well - damn priorities getting in the way of our hobby LOL
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-13-2018),Team Slytherin (05-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    I can't believe you haven't picked up a chest at HD yet..they are cheap enough. I've been happy with the one I got from there.

I hear ya when it comes to housing needs - I just ordered a 5th T10 for my sunglow, he's currently in a divided T10 that my Caulkers Cay is on the other side. They are both pushing 42" so I want them to be able to stretch a little as I've noticed my BCI (now around 44") seems to enjoy the stretch since moving him into a full T10 and LOVES the new water bowl that is big enough to soak in, he practically lives in the water now....Yes, my temps and humidity are on point and he doesn't have mites, just seems to enjoy a soak from time to time.

The BHP adult size is a housing concern as you'd need to get, at minimum, a T65 at $600 plus shipping, not to mention initial cost for the snake around $1600-$2000....

i just saw Richard at Reptile Rapture has a beautiful golden white lipped python available - it was in blue when I was there but still looked amazing....I may just jump on that instead - a unique addition for my collection. That would mean another T12 to match the one my carpet is in :-)

Good luck with your car - I've got some issues with my truck as well - damn priorities getting in the way of our hobby LOL
    Haha yeah. I just got the timing belt done. Need to just get the t-stat and hoses done as they are getting kind of soft.

Yeah, thats the biggest thing holding me back from a BHP since i actually started researching them. I really dont want a 10 foot snake lol. With my luck, it will get to 11-12 feet haha.

I was thinking of a Woma though as they still kind of look like a BHP minus the head but still got the cool body patterns and stays around 5 feet or so.

I do like GTPs alot though haha. Pat is hilarious. When he gets hungry, he will sit on the front perch all night long every night just wiggling his tail on his body, the perch, his head, everywhere. And i sometimes like to get him going by walking a a crumpled up paper towel under him on the bottom of the cage outside. That really gets his little tail going into overdrive haha.

So honestly, I'll probably get another GTP as I'll have Pats cube vacant and already set up. I also got the extra T8 set up which i could easily just throw a Woma or Moonglow or super moonglow bci into or an SD ultra or ultra ivory.

I really think it will boil down to what find when i got cash in hand haha. I tend to be rather spontaneous with my snakes but i will search and talk to everyone and whoever approaches me with whats on my list, if its an awesome example, i say this......
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (05-13-2018),C.Marie (05-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-13-2018),jmcrook (05-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Haha yeah. I just got the timing belt done. Need to just get the t-stat and hoses done as they are getting kind of soft.

Yeah, thats the biggest thing holding me back from a BHP since i actually started researching them. I really dont want a 10 foot snake lol. With my luck, it will get to 11-12 feet haha.

I was thinking of a Woma though as they still kind of look like a BHP minus the head but still got the cool body patterns and stays around 5 feet or so.

I do like GTPs alot though haha. Pat is hilarious. When he gets hungry, he will sit on the front perch all night long every night just wiggling his tail on his body, the perch, his head, everywhere. And i sometimes like to get him going by walking a a crumpled up paper towel under him on the bottom of the cage outside. That really gets his little tail going into overdrive haha.

So honestly, I'll probably get another GTP as I'll have Pats cube vacant and already set up. I also got the extra T8 set up which i could easily just throw a Woma or Moonglow or super moonglow bci into or an SD ultra or ultra ivory.

I really think it will boil down to what find when i got cash in hand haha. I tend to be rather spontaneous with my snakes but i will search and talk to everyone and whoever approaches me with whats on my list, if its an awesome example, i say this......
    I wouldn't mind the 10' snake part - it's the enclosure - I'd have to move everything to a different room then I'd have more room and HAVE to fill it LMAO Back to shut up and take my money!!! LMAO

​Only issue I see with the woma is their tendency to bite out of the blue - beautiful snake but me no like bites LOL I'll probably get one eventually anyway but right now I'm SERIOUSLY considering that White Lip of Richard's (talked to him today) - they aren't very popular from what I've seen and did you know they actually cough up a hair ball instead of passing it in their poop. I dunno - something about a snake that isn't really popular as a pet really interests me. Looks like I'm calling Ali Monday for another T12 too - hope the truck keep running LMAO

I have a T8 with a generic looking (I'm used to the Pro Products) RHP I picked up and still haven't used and will probably keep for quarantine - that extra few inches in the T10 really makes a difference.

I'd love to have a GTP or similar display in the living room but the girlfriend/future wife wants them to stay in the office/snake room LOL
    Last edited by BR8080; 05-14-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    Ball Python
    Boas
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    Cats

Snake Wishlist
    SD/D Retic
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (05-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    I wouldn't mind the 10' snake part - it's the enclosure - I'd have to move everything to a different room then I'd have more room and HAVE to fill it LMAO Back to shut up and take my money!!! LMAO

​Only issue I see with the woma is their tendency to bite out of the blue - beautiful snake but me no like bites LOL I'll probably get one eventually anyway but right now I'm SERIOUSLY considering that White Lip of Richard's (talked to him today) - they aren't very popular from what I've seen and did you know they actually cough up a hair ball instead of passing it in their poop. I dunno - something about a snake that isn't really popular as a pet really interests me. Looks like I'm calling Ali Monday for another T12 too - hope the truck keep running LMAO

I have a T8 with a generic looking (I'm used to the Pro Products) RHP I picked up and still haven't used and will probably keep for quarantine - that extra few inches in the T10 really makes a difference.

I'd love to have a GTP or similar display in the living room but the girlfriend/future wife wants them to stay in the office/snake room LOL
    Wait until you handle a large snake regularly. It's one thing to throw around a 4-5 foot boa but a whole other story when you are talking an 8+ snake especially something other than boa. Boas are so easy going and laid back. You can pretty much guide them where you want them to go with your hand in their face. I stick my hand in front of Caesar and he usually ignores it and bulldozing through it or over it or around it. Maybe just a retic thing but he goes where he wants when he wants. And he's only 8 feet. I couldnt imagine a 10+ footer. Heck when i take Caesar out to clean his cage or bug him, it's like those cartoons where you see a mouse running around in a guys clothing and he is juking and shifting all over. Well that is me with Caesar when he decides he doesnt want to sit quiet on me lol. Don't get me wrong, i love Caesar and he is awesome but like i said, not sure if its just retics vs boas but 8 foot Caesar is MUCH more of a handful than 7 foot Rosey.

I too have heard the biting thing about Womas but some of the videos i have watched of breeders for BHPs, they are like "oh i gotta watch this gal, she likes to bite", so I'm wondering if it is just a genus thing as they are the same, both have no heat pits so maybe its just they feel something warm in front of their face and think "FOOD!!".

And as for 'not popular" snake, i dont know, i tend to do a lot of research as to why they are not popular lol. If it's just from a cost standpoint, that doesnt bother me. But if it is from a specialized feeding or keeping standpoint, i kind of have to weigh that one. Also i know nothing of white lipped pythons. You have gotten my curiosity perked to where i will research them but you are in no threat of me getting one lol. I've got my hands full with probably either another GTP, ETB, Black Head, Woma or another SD retic morph. I love boas but i got 5 of them and if you count dumerils as a boa, then i got 6 lol. I kind of want something different. Definitely like the BHPs and Womas though...but then again love the GTPs.....and then again, love Caesar and SD morphs.

I think you should get a GTP or a retic over the white lip. Pat is hilarious. I fed him his fuzzy mouse tonight and after eating and resetting himself on the perch, he has begun to caudal lure for dessert lol. The guy just never gets enough. Although i do think i fed him kind of on the smaller size. He might almost be ready to upgrade again to a small hopper mouse. He has grown SO much in almost 5 months. He started out as a little runt i think as he was soooooo tiny but he has made up for it the past almost 5 months haha. He's almost 2 feet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Not many BHP are getting that big unless they're being overfed and that's a big no no for this species. You need to keep them on the leaner side to keep them healthy longterm so most will stay closer to the 6-7 foot range. Feeding small and/or leaner meals more often seems to be a major key to successfully rearing these critters. Nothing is quite as fun as feeding a hungry BHP either. Every bit as crazy as my craziest colubrids, haha.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (05-19-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-14-2018)

Thanks

Womas aren’t necessarily bitey, and in Australia they’re considered good starter snakes. What they *do* have is a super feeding response, and they consider other snakes “food”. So use hand sanitizer between snakes, and don’t try to handle a woma when there’s rodent-smell in the air.

My woma tagged a friend once when her hands smelled like other snake, and me once that was clearly a feed response. With my friend he was small enough he really couldn’t do much damage, and with my feeding bite he held on for a second and then let go - I think his brain was saying “Hey! This not mousie!” Overall a sweet, mellow boy.

And womas have those eye spots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (05-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    You have the GTP now complete the arboreal niche with the ETB. Green, lean and mean.

If you want an Aussie python, a Bredli is something you would find quite different.

I'd like to see the emerald though.

Very few folks have them compared to the GTPs. And the Basin ETBs get decent sized.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    You have the GTP now complete the arboreal niche with the ETB. Green, lean and mean.

If you want an Aussie python, a Bredli is something you would find quite different.

I'd like to see the emerald though.

Very few folks have them compared to the GTPs. And the Basin ETBs get decent sized.
    Yeah, we'll see. I had a carpet. Remember? Allie the JCP from Nick Mutton.

An ETB would be nice but who knows, I try and plan for stuff and then get sidetracked by a cute little baby lol.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I too have heard the biting thing about Womas but some of the videos i have watched of breeders for BHPs, they are like "oh i gotta watch this gal, she likes to bite", so I'm wondering if it is just a genus thing as they are the same, both have no heat pits so maybe its just they feel something warm in front of their face and think "FOOD!!".

Yes - I've heard they have a very good food response - that could just be the case.

And as for 'not popular" snake, i dont know, i tend to do a lot of research as to why they are not popular lol. If it's just from a cost standpoint, that doesnt bother me. But if it is from a specialized feeding or keeping standpoint, i kind of have to weigh that one. Also i know nothing of white lipped pythons. You have gotten my curiosity perked to where i will research them but you are in no threat of me getting one lol. I've got my hands full with probably either another GTP, ETB, Black Head, Woma or another SD retic morph. I love boas but i got 5 of them and if you count dumerils as a boa, then i got 6 lol. I kind of want something different. Definitely like the BHPs and Womas though...but then again love the GTPs.....and then again, love Caesar and SD morphs.

I personally believe the BHP's scarcity as a pet is due to the price. Their care isn't too difficult from what I've read, low humidity, steady heat gradient, not rocket science.

Let me tell you about peaked interest after I saw the white lip when I visited Richard's store - they are brilliantly iridescent even in shed and when he mentioned the hair ball vs passing it like other snakes I thought how interesting and started looking for more information about them. Really isn't much out there but their care is very similar to a carpet python for the most part. They are semi arboreal so a taller enclosure (T12) is a good way to go.

I think you should get a GTP or a retic over the white lip. Pat is hilarious. I fed him his fuzzy mouse tonight and after eating and resetting himself on the perch, he has begun to caudal lure for dessert lol. The guy just never gets enough. Although i do think i fed him kind of on the smaller size. He might almost be ready to upgrade again to a small hopper mouse. He has grown SO much in almost 5 months. He started out as a little runt i think as he was soooooo tiny but he has made up for it the past almost 5 months haha. He's almost 2 feet.
    Yeah - a retic WILL be in the collection someday. GTP, or similar, is always a possibility down the road as well. Need to buy an engagement ring in the next couple months here so funds have been diverted LOL

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Not many BHP are getting that big unless they're being overfed and that's a big no no for this species. You need to keep them on the leaner side to keep them healthy longterm so most will stay closer to the 6-7 foot range. Feeding small and/or leaner meals more often seems to be a major key to successfully rearing these critters. Nothing is quite as fun as feeding a hungry BHP either. Every bit as crazy as my craziest colubrids, haha.

Thank you for the info - I wondered if over feeding was responsible for their large size as I haven't really gotten in depth conversations with a breeder about their overall adult size. I tend to feed small with all of my snakes so that shouldn't be a concern with the BHP when/if I get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Womas aren’t necessarily bitey, and in Australia they’re considered good starter snakes. What they *do* have is a super feeding response, and they consider other snakes “food”. So use hand sanitizer between snakes, and don’t try to handle a woma when there’s rodent-smell in the air.

My woma tagged a friend once when her hands smelled like other snake, and me once that was clearly a feed response. With my friend he was small enough he really couldn’t do much damage, and with my feeding bite he held on for a second and then let go - I think his brain was saying “Hey! This not mousie!” Overall a sweet, mellow boy.

And womas have those eye spots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes - I've heard it's important to not have any tasty odors on you when handling them LOL
    Ball Python
    Boas
    Pythons
    Cats

Snake Wishlist
    SD/D Retic
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Thanks
    Grats on the engagement , Ron. Better get a prenup written up for your snake collection!! Make sure she isnt going to take your snakes if it goes bad!! J/K. I'm sure it will be fine and grats again man.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (05-20-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast