Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,754

0 members and 2,754 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Cleaning cork bark

Hi guys, I guess cork products are cleaned prior to sale but do you think you have to clean it again before using it or can you just put it straight in? And what do you think the best method of maintainence cleaning is?

I've looked it over and can't see any mites or anything. I also like the dried moss look so would rather not scrub it off if I don't have to.

I've heard of using a steam cleaner with F10 but that was for branches collected outside. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I agree that scrubbing it would ruin the look. What I'd do (& also do with branches) is spray it down with disinfectant (F10 or chlorhexidine) & let it sit for a while,
    then rinse well & use. I know many people like to bake (smaller) branches & driftwood, but I don't think baking cork would end well? (anyway, I wouldn't try it)
    You could also probably pour boiling water over it or soak it in boiling water to clean. When I lived in the desert, I made use of the hot sun to bake cage decor too.

Question: did you buy it online from a supplier? or did it come from a pet store where live reptiles might in fact have shared some mites around the place?

Is it a reputable pet store? I have in the past actually seen a pet store that used such products to decorate the cages displaying live animals, then turn around
    & sell them as new...talk about clueless & worst possible practice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyrian (05-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: Cleaning cork bark

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree that scrubbing it would ruin the look. What I'd do (& also do with branches) is spray it down with disinfectant (F10 or chlorhexidine) & let it sit for a while,
    then rinse well & use. I know many people like to bake (smaller) branches & driftwood, but I don't think baking cork would end well? (anyway, I wouldn't try it)
    You could also probably pour boiling water over it or soak it in boiling water to clean. When I lived in the desert, I made use of the hot sun to bake cage decor too.

Question: did you buy it online from a supplier? or did it come from a pet store where live reptiles might in fact have shared some mites around the place?

Is it a reputable pet store? I have in the past actually seen a pet store that used such products to decorate the cages displaying live animals, then turn around
    & sell them as new...talk about clueless & worst possible practice.
    Hi, the store I bought it from has a warehouse and a store where there are a few animals bit not sure if it came from an area with animals in or not.

I think I'll spray it down with F10 and rinse.

Thanks

For wood/cork products the answer is.......THE OVEN. Yes, the oven.

I bake mine at 300 degrees F (So about 150 C for you) for about 30-45 minutes. Take em out, let them cool, and be sure to monitor the process. Remove any debris that falls into the bottom of your oven.

Let them cool and they are good to go, any mites will be cooked out in the process.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2018),Valyrian (05-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Hey, that's good to know! Thanks KevinK-! I've baked some other stuff, but thought it might not work for cork bark.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyrian (05-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    For wood/cork products the answer is.......THE OVEN. Yes, the oven.

I bake mine at 300 degrees F (So about 150 C for you) for about 30-45 minutes. Take em out, let them cool, and be sure to monitor the process. Remove any debris that falls into the bottom of your oven.

Let them cool and they are good to go, any mites will be cooked out in the process.
    Will that damage the natural moss look?