Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

1 members and 3,143 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What next?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Good looking family there Ziggy. Nice looking house too and grats.

And to jump in on your request for breeders, are you looking for mainland retic or SD hybrids/morphs? Also for boas, are you looking for pure locality stuff? Or morphs? For locality boas, i believe you said you are in the same local herp club as Vin Russo? I would definitely start with him for pure local boa stuff. Him and Christopher Wolf are the 2 guys i would go to for pure locality boa stuff and obscure BCC stuff like Venezuelan BCCs. Christopher Wolf is who i got Gina from.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

What next?

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    @ Gio- I'm learning to see the good more and more. Life gets tough and the world isn't always a nice place but there"s still beauty all around us. I've been through a lot and seen a lot so I'm humbled and grateful for ALL that I have and pray for all those in need. I'm very blessed with great/crazy family and friends.

Back on topic. Sorry for the interlude y'all.

Tell me some good boa and SD retic breeders.
    The world needs more folks like you ziggy, just sayin
    SD retic breeders. Check out Daniel Solis. Just hatched some smoking 87.5% kalatoa SD retics, some tiger some normal. PM me for his # if you want. Aside from him maybe Garrett Hartle, Matthew Martin... not a lot of SD specific breeders out there but they can be found. I’ve considered pairing Gerald and Phyllis depending on whether or not I can get homes for most of the clutch should that happen. They’d be 75% SD Platinum poss het anery. Don’t hold your breath on me though, more of a pipe dream that I’d like to see come to fruition some day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 05-17-2018 at 02:40 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-17-2018),EL-Ziggy (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Also for SD retic crosses/morphs, can check out Mike Zosso, Shannon Roepke, Erik Alvarado, Bob Clark, and Samson Pruitt.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: What next?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Also for SD retic crosses/morphs, can check out Mike Zosso, Shannon Roepke, Erik Alvarado, Bob Clark, and Samson Pruitt.
    Oooh, good call on everyone you listed there. Aside from Samson... I’ll let ziggy do some research and see how he feels about Samson from a moral standpoint anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Good looking family there Ziggy. Nice looking house too and grats.

And to jump in on your request for breeders, are you looking for mainland retic or SD hybrids/morphs? Also for boas, are you looking for pure locality stuff? Or morphs? For locality boas, i believe you said you are in the same local herp club as Vin Russo? I would definitely start with him for pure local boa stuff. Him and Christopher Wolf are the 2 guys i would go to for pure locality boa stuff and obscure BCC stuff like Venezuelan BCCs. Christopher Wolf is who i got Gina from.
    Sauzo- I definitely want a SD. The tiger retics are probably my favorite. I love Gio's boy Wallace. The albinos are really cool too but I already have (3) albino snakes so I'll pass on those. I'd like a critter that stays in the 8-12 ft range and one I can handle by myself.

I know absolutely nothing about boas either. All of my snakes are just pets and I have no breeding plans so locales don't mean a lot to me. I'm more interested in the size and looks of my critter. I saw this one beauty on Fauna the other day and really like the looks of it but when I talked to the breeder he said they top out around 6ft. I want something quite a bit bigger than that. I think I like the darker boas too. This is the one I was looking at.

3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-17-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ziggy, not to derail the thread again, but had to chime in and say the pics of you, your girl and your boy are fantastic!! That's one happy family right there, the best part about life. Can't beat coming home to a woman you love and who loves you. I can't speak for the love you feel for a son (maybe someday), but I see a man who loves his boy and a son who loves his pappa.

Good stuff, my friend!!! I'm truly happy for you!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-17-2018),richardhind1972 (05-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Zig,

A BCC from Florida Red Tails genetics should get really big.

Iquitos, Peruvian boas are said to be the largest in the boa constrictor family however,, since you like dark boas I’m tossing in the often overlooked and under rated Argentine boa suggestion. They can get BIG. 50-80 pounds and a 9
    Footer is somewhat common.

As for retics. I think even a smaller male mainland would work or dwarf tiger or a guy like Wallace.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Nice photos!

For boas: Legacy Reptiles and Cutting Edge Reptiles (vin russo) are great. Star Schaffer is a smaller scale breeder of Suriname BCCs and has excellent animals. She posts in the FB boa groups and I think she has a FB page but I can't remember her business name.

My vote would be for starting with a female BCC... You'll get the size you want and pretty heavy girth (even when kept in a healthy loaf shape), plus a calmer temperament than a retic. You can try out owning a larger snake with the BCC, then move on to a retic as your second if you like the size but want more spunk.

Plus, BCCs are just too gorgeous. A nice ferrari pastel or european pastel hypo BCI with good blood lines is pretty hot too (as is a lipstick junglow or coral junglow) and a female BCI can attain the size of a BCC as well. Asking for size of parents is a good thing with boas as there is a lot of size variation. BCCs in particular grow slowly, so may not be at max size when they are bred for the first time. I don't own a BCC yet, but do own a BCI, CA BCI, and BCA.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-19-2018),EL-Ziggy (05-17-2018),Gio (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Nice photos!

For boas: Legacy Reptiles and Cutting Edge Reptiles (vin russo) are great. Star Schaffer is a smaller scale breeder of Suriname BCCs and has excellent animals. She posts in the FB boa groups and I think she has a FB page but I can't remember her business name.

My vote would be for starting with a female BCC... You'll get the size you want and pretty heavy girth (even when kept in a healthy loaf shape), plus a calmer temperament than a retic. You can try out owning a larger snake with the BCC, then move on to a retic as your second if you like the size but want more spunk.

Plus, BCCs are just too gorgeous. A nice ferrari pastel or european pastel hypo BCI with good blood lines is pretty hot too (as is a lipstick junglow or coral junglow) and a female BCI can attain the size of a BCC as well. Asking for size of parents is a good thing with boas as there is a lot of size variation. BCCs in particular grow slowly, so may not be at max size when they are bred for the first time. I don't own a BCC yet, but do own a BCI, CA BCI, and BCA.
    ZIG,

I scored my boy from Legacy Reptiles, and know of all the breeders mentioned here and agree with Art's list.

Tom McCarthy also breeds boas and loves retics. Tom has had some really big boas, but I'm not sure he is producing anything BCC except Northern Brazilian BCC.

He also was into BCA boas but they are not typically huge.

Check out this Agrie!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LANEr-70MBk

This is a 3 year old.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Fpc25vp1Q

Normals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTZWeswdb0k
    Last edited by Gio; 05-17-2018 at 04:40 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-17-2018),richardhind1972 (05-18-2018)

Thanks
    If you are looking for a darker boa that still gets decent size, look into IMGs. They are on the spendier side but they can get close to black in color. Also another darker boa is a Boa Constrictor Longicauda aka Peruvian Long tail. They are decently priced at anywhere from $250-$400. Obviously an anery one would be darker but here is Louie who is from parents from Vin Russo yellow line and Legacy Reptiles. He's het anery.

You can also looking a Boa Constrictor Occidentalis aka Argentine boa. They get darker too but i have heard they can get a bit nippy. BCLs tend to be very shy and take a long time to really settle in and trust you. I've had Louie almost a year and he is just coming around to trusting me vs my other boas who are pretty much carefree after a week lol.

Also, from what i have been told by a few breeders who i wont name, Legacy Reptiles has gone downhill the past couple years. They used to be very reliable and picky about their locality stuff but i guess now, they are less stringent on their sources. Take it for what its worth but that is why i didnt mention them on my pure locality list. I would still stick to either Vin Russo or Chris Wolf for pure locality stuff as well as Gus Rentfro but he is out of the game.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-20-2018)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast