Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,007

2 members and 3,005 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Striking out of aggression/defense/hunger? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I'm also fairly new to Crested Geckos, just saying this upfront.

All my advice is solely based on my own (rather short) experience and my (rather extensive) research.

If you read information on Pages and Forums you often hear to completely leave them alone for a few weeks after every change like shipping, new home, etc. While there is the odd person that will say they handle extensively and right away.

I'm in the camp of finding a happy medium. I feel that the Gecko should be subjected to whatever it will be around for the rest of its life. Meaning no coddling as in a super quiet room where they never hear or see anything. Of course any commotion will get them upset then. My Gecko is on my desk. I watch TV on my computer at times, or have music on. He sees me coming and going, dogs running around, etc. Of course I kept everything in check at first and I do turn the lights low in my room around 9 pm.

Nothing fazes him now, not noise or people running around.

But you shouldn't purposely stress them to much either of course.

Handling..I would do like with a shy BP. Often, but not for long sessions. End on a good note.

I think the recent aggression is the "bug crazy". Crickets move fast. Cresties are SO VERY MUCH tuned in to quick movements and lunge. Mine won't even react to the Dubias when they play dead or move slow. I have to make them run, LOL. Crickets are crazier. It could be that your little one was hungry and loves those bugs now. I think in the wild the young ones do eat more bugs then the adults. Perhaps she really got a taste for them and any movement sets off the "BUG!!!" reaction and she goes for it.

When you do handle, completely ignore the lunging and open mouth or even grabbing. It can't possibly hurt. They would have to get you in a very tender spot (like in between fingers where the skin is thin) to even feel it. Do not jerk back or react in any way. Stay calm and deliberate. No jerky unsure movements. Handwalk for a minute or so, put her back.

I would continue to feed bugs, but not exclusively. They can get quite addictive to them. But I feel they should have them. They don't NEED them when on CGD, but they love them and if the insects are properly fed (well fed with quality food and a variety thereof) and well gut loaded and dusted, they are a good addition to the diet and will put some weight on them. Since yours already eats CGD I would continue bugs as well. Perhaps try Dubias. The "hunting" reaction won't be so crazy, since Dubias can play dead and are slow once they are put in the bin with the Gecko.

I think you have a hungry little one that got a taste for fast moving insects and is ready and loaded at any time. Of course at times they can get defensive, too, but gentle and deliberate handling that isn't overdone should help.

That said, I do believe there are different personalities. Some are calmer then others and despite anything you do, some will always be calmer while others are spazzier. If regular handling only ends up in a more stressed gecko despite trying for a long time, it may just be that this particular animal is going to be more of a look but don't touch one. Even then, they need to learn that sometimes they will be handled (because sometimes you have to)

I've typed this out wile being in a rush, and english is my second language, so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors

Good luck with your little one !!

Btw. Deborah and Mleedee are incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to Cresties, so if you are ever worried and need quick and experienced advise, you can pm them. I've done it before and they've been very helpful!
    Thank you so so much Zina!! I was thinking to keep handing very short, 5 min max. That's a great point, with the crickets being fast and all! Do you think shed have a prob switching to dubias? (Like mice-->rats) or maybe I misunderstood that lol. And she's in my room where its where I plan for her to stay, so I think shell be used to the amount of noise. Also, this isnt too related, but when do you think I should switch her to her 18x18x24? I have it all cleaned out and everything, do you think I could switch her later this month or wait a couple years until she's bigger? Its a kinda close size to the tub shes in now, the tub is just a bit smaller.

Thanks again Zina!!! Very very helpful!!!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Striking out of aggression/defense/hunger? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Thank you so so much Zina!! I was thinking to keep handing very short, 5 min max. That's a great point, with the crickets being fast and all! Do you think shed have a prob switching to dubias? (Like mice-->rats) or maybe I misunderstood that lol. And she's in my room where its where I plan for her to stay, so I think shell be used to the amount of noise. Also, this isnt too related, but when do you think I should switch her to her 18x18x24? I have it all cleaned out and everything, do you think I could switch her later this month or wait a couple years until she's bigger? Its a kinda close size to the tub shes in now, the tub is just a bit smaller.

Thanks again Zina!!! Very very helpful!!!

I think Dubias will be healthier in the long term. Esp. if you keep them for a few weeks at a time and are in charge of feeding the Dubias. They can easily be housed, fed well, gut loaded, etc. I also like that they don't stink like crickets, don't die as fast and don't chew on your animal.

They move slower so perhaps it won't make your little one as nuts to every jump.and movement. On the other hand..they really tune in to quick movement. I don't think you should have to much issues switching. Just do it sooner then later before your little ones becomes to hooked on crickets.

Many people feed crickets so it's not a bad thing. Just try to gut load them for a couple days before feeding and dust them well. Make sure you don't have loose ones in the enclosure that you will have to hunt and get out before they chew on Crestie. Keep having to dig around in the cage to the minimum. Like cleaning and getting Crestie for handling.

If the new cage is almost the same size anyway, you could go for it. That is really big though. When you set it up make sure you have it the way you like it so you don't make so many changes again. Put something familiar in there. Like a favorite plant or hiding spot. Make sure you can easily do maintenance.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zina10; 05-09-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

I think Dubias will be healthier in the long term. Esp. if you keep them for a few weeks at a time and are in charge of feeding the Dubias. They can easily be housed, fed well, gut loaded, etc. I also like that they don't stink like crickets, don't die as fast and don't chew on your animal.

They move slower so perhaps it won't make your little one as nuts to every jump.and movement. On the other hand..they really tune in to quick movement. I don't think you should have to much issues switching. Just do it sooner then later before your little ones becomes to hooked on crickets.

Many people feed crickets so it's not a bad thing. Just try to gut load them for a couple days before feeding and dust them well. Make sure you don't have loose ones in the enclosure that you will have to hunt and get out before they chew on Crestie. Keep having to dig around in the cage to the minimum. Like cleaning and getting Crestie for handling.

If the new cage is almost the same size anyway, you could go for it. That is really big though. When you set it up make sure you have it the way you like it so you don't make so many changes again. Put something familiar in there. Like a favorite plant or hiding spot. Make sure you can easily do maintenance.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be sure to move slower with her I'm sorry, when do you think I can switch? Do you mean 'go for it' like this week? It's a pretty large tub lol, but she seems to find her way around. The 18x18x24 is what she'll be in the rest of her life so I personally think it might be better to switch sooner rather than later. I could try to set-up the tank just the same so she isn't too confused. Thanks again!

P.S I'm reading the whole posts, thanks for the advice! I don't mean to ignore everything else you said, I just don't really know what to say back lol.
    Last edited by GpBp; 05-09-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that she is probably just hungry. I think you could feed insects twice a week, with CGD available all other days. When she is bigger or fully grown you can back down to offering insects once per week and providing fresh CGD every few days. She is on the small side for her age, so you don't need to worry about turning her into an overweight beast just yet.

When you do feed insects, I would offer them in a bowl or introduce them into the enclosure in some other way than with your fingers (like on tongs or out of a dusting container or bag). I have had a few cresties that would shoot straight up out of their enclosures any time I opened it to try to get to my fingers, because my fingers were what delivered the insects when they were offered. You can offer the insects in other ways so that your fingers are not associated with food.

Sometimes, crested geckos are nippy out of aggressive or fear but I really don't find that to normally be the case. Even the most oddball crested I ever had would mostly gape at me and puff his body up, but not bite. Other New Caledonian geckos can be prone to cage aggression that includes biting but that is very rarely ever the case with cresties.

And as far as handling goes, my general rule of thumb is to wait a week after being shipped or moved to a new enclosure just to give the gecko the time and space to settle in and feel comfortable in their new environment before being interacted with.
    - Emily

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2018),GpBp (05-09-2018),zina10 (05-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    I'll be sure to move slower with her I'm sorry, when do you think I can switch? Do you mean 'go for it' like this week? It's a pretty large tub lol, but she seems to find her way around. The 18x18x24 is what she'll be in the rest of her life so I personally think it might be better to switch sooner rather than later. I could try to set-up the tank just the same so she isn't too confused. Thanks again!

P.S I'm reading the whole posts, thanks for the advice! I don't mean to ignore everything else you said, I just don't really know what to say back lol.
    If you are ready to switch her and she is in an enclosure just as big right now, you could just go ahead and do it. How she does with it, no-one knows for sure. But I don't see how it would be worse then being in a large tub.

Just be mindful of those doors on those cages. I've heard of geckos getting squshed in those door, not just in the middle, but on the sides where they swing inward. Always make sure the gecko is nowhere near the doors before opening or closing them. I agree, it would help to set it up similar to the tub, just so that it seems a bit familiar with some familiar deco.

Like Mleedee said, leave her be for a week after the move , and then continue on with handling.

That's what I would do, as well.
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (05-09-2018)

Thanks

Thank you guys!!! I had her out for three mins last night, and it went great! She didnt try anything at all, even when I was getting her out of her tub She was jumping around a bit, but I think that was just out of curiosity, not stress. I let her hop onto the scale to get a weight on her for this month. 5g! Overall I think it went well. At the end she jumped right into her tub and sat in her favorite spot (near the front in a pile of plastic leaves).

I was thinking to feed her tomorrow still? And then every week ill feed her Monday and Thursdays. I think ill stop handling in three weeks on a Monday, because I'm wanting to move her to her other tank that Wednesday. Then leave her alone for a week (still feeding). That sound ok? Sorry if its confusing!

Oh and here is a size comparison between Bea's 18x18x24 and Pockets tub. And her tank will fit on the shelf beside Bea surprisingly! I've measured 2 or 6 times and tested it out and its tight but it works. (Sorry for the light, Bea has a bioactive)

Last edited by GpBp; 05-10-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2018)

Thanks
    Looks good !!

Good plan, too. Stay with your basic outline of what you have planned, but don't forget to relax and have fun Your little one will be just fine, I believe they are a lot tougher then what we give them credit for.

Now that she eats a few bugs per week, she will probably gain weight a bit quicker and better. Just remember to make the insects as healthy as you can. My bugger likes the Repashy calcium/D3, it smells good, too.

If you feed crickets, try to feed the crickets yourself for a couple of days before giving them to the animals. They don't get the most or best food in petstores before they sell them, and you want them to be plump and full of good food. If you try Dubias, same goes for them.

I really think that it is due to the Dubias that Smeagol has gained weight nicely. He doesn't even eat that many of them. I feed the ones that are about the length of the distance between his eyes (eyeball included) and he will eat 3 or 4. Once and sometimes twice the week, depending on how much CGD he eats. If he starts ignoring the CGD I make him wait longer. If he eats CGD he gets Dubias twice the week.

From all I've heard they stop being as interested in bugs as they get older. Which makes sense from what has been observed in the wild. I've seen some pretty fat Cresties that are on CGD only and some fat ones that get both bugs and CGD. So I guess once the weight goes up there it is time to watch the intake, no matter what is fed.

I would like a good sized gecko, but not one of those super fat ones with skin rolls and fat little arms, LOL !! I just don't think that can possibly be healthy..
    Zina

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2018),GpBp (05-10-2018)

Thanks

Looks good !!

Good plan, too. Stay with your basic outline of what you have planned, but don't forget to relax and have fun Your little one will be just fine, I believe they are a lot tougher then what we give them credit for.

Now that she eats a few bugs per week, she will probably gain weight a bit quicker and better. Just remember to make the insects as healthy as you can. My bugger likes the Repashy calcium/D3, it smells good, too.

If you feed crickets, try to feed the crickets yourself for a couple of days before giving them to the animals. They don't get the most or best food in petstores before they sell them, and you want them to be plump and full of good food. If you try Dubias, same goes for them.

I really think that it is due to the Dubias that Smeagol has gained weight nicely. He doesn't even eat that many of them. I feed the ones that are about the length of the distance between his eyes (eyeball included) and he will eat 3 or 4. Once and sometimes twice the week, depending on how much CGD he eats. If he starts ignoring the CGD I make him wait longer. If he eats CGD he gets Dubias twice the week.

From all I've heard they stop being as interested in bugs as they get older. Which makes sense from what has been observed in the wild. I've seen some pretty fat Cresties that are on CGD only and some fat ones that get both bugs and CGD. So I guess once the weight goes up there it is time to watch the intake, no matter what is fed.

I would like a good sized gecko, but not one of those super fat ones with skin rolls and fat little arms, LOL !! I just don't think that can possibly be healthy..
    Thanks! I'll stick to that plan I agree, I think they are a lot hardier than we think! Pocket actually escaped once (http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/crested-geckos-correlophus-rhacodactylus-ciliatus/85163-miracle.html) and I thought for sure I'd lost her. But nope! She jumped out of a pair of shorts with that little crested gecko smile on her face like "I scared you, didn't I?".

I try to gut-load the crickets at least a little bit before I feed. I get them at PetSmart and usually, I'll leave them with an apple or orange for a day or two before I feed. I'll be breeding the dubia roaches so they will always have fresh food available to them, and should be pretty healthy

I've heard they stop eating them as often they get older, but I'm not sure that's the case with my 3 1/2 yr! He still jumps at those crickets and usually eats 8-9! That's the main reason I'm breeding dubias, so Bea can gain some weight and be happy with his amount. I do think Bea's unique with that though, as I've seen a lot of geckos grow out of their bug addiction

Both of the geckos have access to fresh CGD whenever they want is, is that right? That's what I've been doing. Also, how often do you change it? I mix up fresh Pangea every night/every other night, is that too often or not often enough?

Thanks again Zina, I'm sure Smeagol is pretty darn lucky to have someone as invested in his care as you!

Edit: I should mention the 8-9 crickets Bea eats are smalls. I don't think there's any way he could eat that many large ones!
    Last edited by GpBp; 05-10-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    If you don't mind feeding bugs and your adult still likes them, I find nothing wrong with that. As long as he still eats some CGD, you won't have anything to worry about.

I think they can live on CGD alone, esp since there are some formulas with ground up bugs in them, but if you can provide fresh, live bugs, that can't be a bad thing either. If they are part of a well rounded diet.

Honestly, I chose getting a Crestie in part because I've heard they can live forever on those CGD smoothies and no bugs needed. I don't like bugs. I HATE crickets and the thought of roaches didn't make me feel all happy either, LOL.

But once I had Smeagol and saw much he loves bugs, I started looking into it more. I did some research, and those Dubias really aren't that bad. I sort of like feeding them well, they are so easy to take care of, and not messy at all, nor do they stink. Maybe if someone has a ton of them and there are dead ones in there, or spoiled food, but so far there is nothing to clean in my bin. I think I ever even found ONE SINGLE dead one. It looked as if it got stuck halfway when molting and died.

The only thing is, when they are in the feeding bin, they don't often move super fast and Smeagol likes his bugs fast and furious, LMAO. But in a way this isn't a bad thing. I know he won't overeat simply by grabbing everything that moves fast. He is quite deliberate and thoughtful about it, LOL.

My mom is coming to visit soon, I wonder what she will think of her daughter caring for a bunch of roaches, making sure they eat well

You are doing great with your Cresties, and your little whipper-snapper will gain a bit of weight and confidence, you'll see.
    Zina

Thanks

Sorry for not updating! Pocket ate... wait for it... NINE crickets last night! Wow, hungry gal. I fed her when I got home at 4:00 pm, and waited until 8:45 pm to handle her. She did great! I have one question though-
    She's pretty jumpy. Not like crazy, I don't have to worry about going from tank-bed, I'll just cover her with my hand. But she does jump quite a bit. I think it's just out of curiosity, which is good! I just worry about her jumping away or taking a leap of faith! Any advice? Thank you
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast