Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

3 members and 3,140 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Striking out of aggression/defense/hunger? Something else?

Hello! So, as you may or may not know I have a baby crestie named Pocket. I don't talk about her much on this forum, though. I just thought I'd hear you guys opinion on this! We've been leaving sweet Pocket alone for a little over two months now (not handling or anything, only opening tub to mist/ change food). Here's some quick history on her (skip over this part for the question)-

We got her in the middle of January at a local reptile show (Repticon). She was just amazing! I had her in a small shoebox-ish tub. Until learning she should be in a taller tank. I went with a ZooMed Bugarium. She was in there for a while and did great! Until I kept getting an issue of mold, that is. I moved her to a plastic tub turned on its side a little while ago (month and a half ago). I followed the general rule and expected to wait a week before resuming handling to let her settle in. But she wasn't eating. So I ordered a new flavor (was eating banana apricot, now eating watermelon mango). She liked it! But then, she was used to toothpick-feeding. I just got her out of that though! (Keep in mind, I wasn't handling her this entire time). But now... there's a new problem...

So, Pocket now likes to strike at like everything. She'll strike when I'm near her tub, when I'm focusing on my other cresties tank (right beside her, they can't see each other though), she almost bit my finger when I went to grab her food dish last night! I'm wondering if she's hungry or scared? If she's mad and doesn't want to be disturbed? She always has Panga available and the last 2 weeks I offered her crickets and she ate her fill (6 first time and 7 next time)! I feel like I'm starving her, but I don't wanna overfeed her! I'm planning on breeding dubias very soon actually (hoping everything will be set-up at end of next week), so she'll be able to get more food and hopefully grow a bit faster (I've heard a lot of geckos get a big growth spurt when they start eating dubias) As of 4-22, she weighs 5g. She was 3g when we got her, so she's growing very slow. She's roughly 6mo. Thanks so much for any advice!
    Last edited by GpBp; 05-09-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I've kept other kinds of geckos but not cresties (so keep that in mind) but my guess is that she is mostly hungry, and as yet un-socialized. To a hungry gecko that
    is never handled, everything looks like (possible) food, lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i've read that the whole "leaving them alone to acclimate" thing doesn't apply to these guys; it's best to regularly handle them so they get used to it.

i'm very, very new to cresties so keep that in mind. i would assume a gecko behaving that way is not aggressive, but hungry. as long as she keeps eating her CGD and gaining weight, i'd say regular handling will help snap her out of this behavior. idk how to gauge if you're over- or under-feeding her, so i'll leave that to someone with more experience.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-09-2018)

Thanks

Re: Striking out of aggression/defense/hunger? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've kept other kinds of geckos but not cresties (so keep that in mind) but my guess is that she is mostly hungry, and as yet un-socialized. To a hungry gecko that
    is never handled, everything looks like (possible) food, lol.
    Thank you! I was thinking something along those lines, do you think its okay to start handling her now? Shes been settled in her tub for over a month with no disturbances, I think weighing her is the very most I've done. I kinda miss having her out! I could put a cloth over my hand to protect me from the blood thirsty beast (lol). You guys think she's ready?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i've read that the whole "leaving them alone to acclimate" thing doesn't apply to these guys; it's best to regularly handle them so they get used to it.

i'm very, very new to cresties so keep that in mind. i would assume a gecko behaving that way is not aggressive, but hungry. as long as she keeps eating her CGD and gaining weight, i'd say regular handling will help snap her out of this behavior. idk how to gauge if you're over- or under-feeding her, so i'll leave that to someone with more experience.
    Thanks! And even when I very first got her I handled her often, to the point where she got used to my hand in the tank. I think I might try a breif session tonight and see how she reacts to that. If she seems fine with it we might slowly go back to regular handling! Thanks taylor

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-09-2018)

Thanks

Oh and I can feed her crickets Friday when my other crestie eats.
    Last edited by GpBp; 05-09-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Thank you! I was thinking something along those lines, do you think its okay to start handling her now? Shes been settled in her tub for over a month with no disturbances, I think weighing her is the very most I've done. I kinda miss having her out! I could put a cloth over my hand to protect me from the blood thirsty beast (lol). You guys think she's ready?

Yes, I think I would do some handling. You might alert the Blood Bank though... I'm kidding! While you might get a nip, I suspect she'll be disappointed
    that you don't taste better. (And do try NOT to taste good.) And just like handling a nervous snake, don't wiggle your hands & fingers around, keep them
    UNDER her to avoid confusing her. I think she'll catch on pretty fast that you are "the ground", not "take-out". Let us know how it goes?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-09-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the tips! Ill be sure to update until then, here's some pics:

Last edited by GpBp; 05-09-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-09-2018),Bogertophis (05-09-2018),C.Marie (06-01-2018),tttaylorrr (05-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I'm also fairly new to Crested Geckos, just saying this upfront.

All my advice is solely based on my own (rather short) experience and my (rather extensive) research.

If you read information on Pages and Forums you often hear to completely leave them alone for a few weeks after every change like shipping, new home, etc. While there is the odd person that will say they handle extensively and right away.

I'm in the camp of finding a happy medium. I feel that the Gecko should be subjected to whatever it will be around for the rest of its life. Meaning no coddling as in a super quiet room where they never hear or see anything. Of course any commotion will get them upset then. My Gecko is on my desk. I watch TV on my computer at times, or have music on. He sees me coming and going, dogs running around, etc. Of course I kept everything in check at first and I do turn the lights low in my room around 9 pm.

Nothing fazes him now, not noise or people running around.

But you shouldn't purposely stress them to much either of course.

Handling..I would do like with a shy BP. Often, but not for long sessions. End on a good note.

I think the recent aggression is the "bug crazy". Crickets move fast. Cresties are SO VERY MUCH tuned in to quick movements and lunge. Mine won't even react to the Dubias when they play dead or move slow. I have to make them run, LOL. Crickets are crazier. It could be that your little one was hungry and loves those bugs now. I think in the wild the young ones do eat more bugs then the adults. Perhaps she really got a taste for them and any movement sets off the "BUG!!!" reaction and she goes for it.

When you do handle, completely ignore the lunging and open mouth or even grabbing. It can't possibly hurt. They would have to get you in a very tender spot (like in between fingers where the skin is thin) to even feel it. Do not jerk back or react in any way. Stay calm and deliberate. No jerky unsure movements. Handwalk for a minute or so, put her back.

I would continue to feed bugs, but not exclusively. They can get quite addictive to them. But I feel they should have them. They don't NEED them when on CGD, but they love them and if the insects are properly fed (well fed with quality food and a variety thereof) and well gut loaded and dusted, they are a good addition to the diet and will put some weight on them. Since yours already eats CGD I would continue bugs as well. Perhaps try Dubias. The "hunting" reaction won't be so crazy, since Dubias can play dead and are slow once they are put in the bin with the Gecko.

I think you have a hungry little one that got a taste for fast moving insects and is ready and loaded at any time. Of course at times they can get defensive, too, but gentle and deliberate handling that isn't overdone should help.

That said, I do believe there are different personalities. Some are calmer then others and despite anything you do, some will always be calmer while others are spazzier. If regular handling only ends up in a more stressed gecko despite trying for a long time, it may just be that this particular animal is going to be more of a look but don't touch one. Even then, they need to learn that sometimes they will be handled (because sometimes you have to)

I've typed this out wile being in a rush, and english is my second language, so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors

Good luck with your little one !!

Btw. Deborah and Mleedee are incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to Cresties, so if you are ever worried and need quick and experienced advise, you can pm them. I've done it before and they've been very helpful!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-09-2018),C.Marie (06-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I think the recent aggression is the "bug crazy". Crickets move fast. Cresties are SO VERY MUCH tuned in to quick movements and lunge. Mine won't even react to the Dubias when they play dead or move slow. I have to make them run, LOL. Crickets are crazier. It could be that your little one was hungry and loves those bugs now. I think in the wild the young ones do eat more bugs then the adults. Perhaps she really got a taste for them and any movement sets off the "BUG!!!" reaction and she goes for it.
    this is an excellent insight that i didn't even consider. since i haven't fed bugs yet i'm ignorant to their reactions around them.

great point, Z.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

zina10 (05-09-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast