Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

4 members and 3,067 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hognose husbandry questions!

Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
    I'm not in Toronto, but close.... I live in the Niagara region. I've always loved Hognosed snakes so purchased a male hatchling about 3 years ago. Not sure I'd get another. LOL
    The first year was great, he was a SUPER eater and no problem to keep at all. However, things started going downhill in the 2nd fall season. He stopped eating at the end of September, had one feed in late December than nothing at all until late April. I was having FITS!!!

He did the same thing the following year and in 2017 he fed only once in August, had quit entirely by early September, ate NOTHING all winter and FINALLY on May 6th became active in his bin, and took two hopper mice yesterday. Hopefully he'll continue eating through the summer and I'm assuming we'll go through the same thing next year.

I keep him in a bin (think it's about 13 litres) with cypress mulch, a heat mat and temps. of 80 F. at one end and room temp. at the other, which, in the winter is about 67 F. He will NOT use the warm end of his bin at all during the winter months, I'm always finding him wrapped around his water dish at the cold end. If I move him to the warm end, he goes right back to the cold end. In the summer ambient temps. range from about 78 F. - 83 F., which seems to keep him happy.
    I suppose I should be happy that he's so low maintenance and inexpensive to feed, but the reality is, he's giving me grey hair!!!!

I will say though, that he has a wonderful temperament, when he DOES eat, he's a really good eater, has great sheds and is really no trouble at all.
    Male are naturally more difficult when it comes to food but if you do not keep them properly temps wise it does not help.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Hognose husbandry questions!

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post

I'm thinking of a 24x24x12 one (30 gallon I think), would that be sufficient for an adult? The cage makers here only offer 24' and 48' long ones for some reason, and I know for sure that 48' is overkill for a hognose. If I have to, I'll of course be willing to start out with tubs or whatever else (which I'll also need advice on setting up).

I would disagree. I keep my hoggy In a 48" viv and he still enjoys getting out to explore and there isn't an inch in that tank he hasn't touched in the last 4 days. they are naturally very inquisitive and once they get used to the daily routine around their tank don't hide a whole lot. I would like to build a bigger one for him in a year or so. of course to each hognose goes there own personality, but this has been my experience.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apiratenamedjohn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-28-2018),Godzilla78 (05-27-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12