Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

1 members and 3,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

How Common Are Fat BPs Really?

In my experience, and in reading many threads here and elsewhere and talking with other keepers, it seems to me to be really hard to get a BP to be obese. I know it can happens with chain feeding and some forms of power feeding. But these are outliers to my knowledge. It is not an accepted practice. If anyone still does it it is being done underground.

But today I had someone on an FB group insist that obese BPs are common and many die from complications of it. They even claim there are many threads on this very forum about it. However, I can't seem to find these threads.

From what I know and have experienced BP's are very self regulating. If they don't need to eat they won't eat. I have been more worried about BP's starving themselves to death than eating too much.

What say you? Have I just missed it? Or is this person blowing things out of proportion?

Thanks.
    - Mason

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-08-2018),Godzilla78 (05-08-2018),Lord Sorril (05-08-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: How Common Are Fat BPs Really?

I'm interested in this as well.

I feed as much as my snakes will eat and I do not have an obesity issue in my collection.
    My food items are not large though so it may give them more 'portion control'.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    my own (super limited) experience: so Coffee Bean (0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox) is a late 2017 hatchling, and came to me at 92g on 8/22. she's now 721g as of last night, presumably empty. she's a bit squishy; i think she might be fat. not obese, mind you, but i mean that's a heck of a lot of growth!!! my almost 2 year old CG girl is still under 700g. Coffee Bean was fed on a 3 or 5 day schedule when i first got her, but that was for about a month or so as she was constantly striking the side of the tub, and then she went to a rat pup/7 days. i also don't have much experience with bigger beeps as my biggest is my 800g+ 1.0 Albino but he's very obviously lean and muscular.

i have not seen many instances of obese BPs on here, especially older ones. Godzilla comes to mind when @Godzilla78 first got her; he had stated she was pretty fat and she slimmed down a lot thanks to him. he does not own that snake anymore, i believe. that's the only one i can think of from recent memory.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-08-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    I've seen plenty of cases of obese boas and STP, but not many BPs. Maybe they were confused between BPs, STP, and Boas? I know my boas would eat every day if offered, so it is a common problem with them and does cause early death. I've also seen discussions on STP forums about how many keepers keep them too large or larger than they normally should be in the wild (have fat rolls, etc.) but I'm not sure if they die from complications like boas do.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Can be as common as fat dogs, fat cats, and fat children.

If you over feed an opportunistic predator without means to self regulate their intake due to evolution, you can end up with a fat and unhealthy snake. A fat snake is a shorter lived snake as when snakes eat their organs expand greatly and continually overfeeding puts a huge stress on their organs especially liver.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I've seen plenty of cases of obese boas and STP, but not many BPs. Maybe they were confused between BPs, STP, and Boas? I know my boas would eat every day if offered, so it is a common problem with them and does cause early death. I've also seen discussions on STP forums about how many keepers keep them too large or larger than they normally should be in the wild (have fat rolls, etc.) but I'm not sure if they die from complications like boas do.
    ^ yeah, i've seen more people overfeeding their boas and STP on here than beeps, but even then i don't think i've seen a fat/obese one. but the overfeeding seems like a common issue across the majority of owners who own those species.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I've seen plenty of cases of obese boas and STP, but not many BPs. Maybe they were confused between BPs, STP, and Boas?
    Seen obese BP pics before around here but nothing recent that I can recall. BPs are kind chunky regardless though so it's probably not that easy to spot or something *I* think is too heavy, really isn't considered so by most people. Usually I'd see it in some adult breeder BPs. It doesn't seem to be 'the norm' or anything though or they just aren't being posted.

My girl Karma is too fat, this is an older photo, but looking fat to me. I stretched out her feeding a bit to try to get her a more uniform healthy shape/weight.
    It's not sausage butt, she was chunky and looking overweight.

For the Horde!

Thanks

I suspect that there's not a whole lot of fat BPs because the VERY commonly used feeding schedule is well established, easy to use, and doesn't lead to fat bps. 1 small rat once per week for adult bp doesn't seem to make them particularly fat and there's not much room for error.

On the other hand, I have fat garter snakes because I accidentally overfed them as babies since the guidance is fairly vague, indicates that it's hard to overfeed baby garters if you're not feeding mice but doesn't say where "babyhood" ends, and indicates that they have a much faster metabolism than most snakes and thus I allowed their hunger cues to be more of a guide for how I fed them. Unfortunately, I learned that they are bottomless pits who are always hungry and will enthusiastically beg 90% of the times I come near. My ball python is also a bit of a bottomless pit, but there was never room for feeding him more than once a week, so him looking for food significantly more often than that makes no difference.

Boas seem to also have more room for error since there's no good consensus on them either, other than that they don't need to be fed weekly once they're older. My dumeril's boa would gladly get super fat, but at least I learned my lesson with the garter snakes and thus ignore most of his begging.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    she was chunky and looking overweight.
    What were you feeding to make her overweight?
    *.* TNTC

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    What were you feeding to make her overweight?
    Weaned rat every 7-10 days just like all the others. She just kept putting on girth instead of length. So I moved her out to 10-14 days for a while.
    For the Horde!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast