Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

1 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Crestie care after a dropped tail

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's SO cute, I hope he recovers ok & doesn't have nightmares (I wonder if they dream?). Horribly close call, could have been worse, whew!

I have a hunch that any cats near his cage from now on would be VERY stressful for him, I hope you can avoid that. The cat may be more motivated now too?
    The only cats allowed in the room are ours, they can't get anywhere near where he currently is. They've also never shown any interest in attempting to "hunt" his enclosure. They'll watch the snakes when they're active in their tubs, but I think they're afraid the snakes will eat them.

The latches will prevent any future escapades into our room by the in-law's kitties.

I'll definitely update everyone on him tomorrow night after he's had some peace and quiet.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ashleigh91; 05-08-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    1.0 Clown Ball Python-Talion 1.0 Granite Corn snake-Howl 1.0 Chocolate Flame Crested Gecko-Garrus
    1.1 Cats-Kit and Mia 0.1 Dog-Jersey

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Oh no, so sorry to hear that.

This must have been absolutely terrifying for the poor gecko AND for you, too !! What a nightmare.

Like everyone said, just keep him on paper towels and clean until the wound closes. Cat bites are tricky. Their teeth are so sharp that they often puncture and you won't even see it because the skin closes up right away and traps the bacteria underneath.

Often times antibiotics are given if a cat has gotten a hold of another animal, even if no punctures are seen. Just to be safe.

I know you are limited on vets, though. Just see how the little one is tomorrow. If things get worse, or "bumps" appear, try to get any vet to at least prescribe you some antibiotics. Even if they aren't exotic vets, they should be able to look up the proper antibiotics and dosage and would possibly give it to you if you share a picture of the gecko or bring it in..

Hopefully all will be fine though.

Deep breaths all around !!

ps. he is BEAUTIFUL! with or without tail.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Ashleigh91 (05-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: Crestie care after a dropped tail

So far so good with Garrus! He's moving around and acting normally. All but one of the bruises have faded, and the one that's still there is improving.

He hasn't eaten any repashy out of his dish since the incident, but from my observations he hasn't felt safe enough to really come out from his hides or his leaves. I took him out and hand fed him a fair bit tonight though, and he ate readily enough (much better than when we was a wee baby and I hand fed him so I knew he was eating xD)

I think his stump is healing alright. The skin around it is rather dark, but looks okay to me. I'll try to remember to take a picture or two of the trooper in the morning.

In other news, locks have succeeded in keeping the demon cat out of our room, and she's still hiding every time she sees me. (I may have sprayed her a lot with the spray bottle when she came outside our room after the incident - sorry, not sorry).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Clown Ball Python-Talion 1.0 Granite Corn snake-Howl 1.0 Chocolate Flame Crested Gecko-Garrus
    1.1 Cats-Kit and Mia 0.1 Dog-Jersey

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashleigh91 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (05-10-2018),zina10 (05-10-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12