Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

0 members and 2,931 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Is anyone working with or knowlegable about the "Paint" gene?

Hey everyone,
    As you may know, I recently hatched a clutch that had a mystery snake in it. The sire was a Leopard Pinstripe that was produced by Jon Courtney at Cold Blooded Addiction. When I started digging a little I found that Jon had been working with a gene he called Nazca. It is supposedly in the same vein as Paint, Sentinel, Neo, etc. He had an animal on his site that looked quite similar to mine, but since I had other genes in play they weren't exactly the same. None the less, I think the answers to my questions may lie somewhere in there.

Unfortunately I tried reaching out to Jon but it seems he has gone off grid. I then reached out to Tim Lyford at TJL Exotics who has done some work with the Nazca gene using a couple of animals he too bought from Jon. Tim was kind enough to take a look at the clutch and give his opinion. Tim said the Mojave looks promising but with the other genes in the pairing, it is really difficult to say with any certainty if the Nazca gene is present in the other hatchlings.

Since I couldn't find anyone else working with Nazca, I thought I'd ask if there is anyone out there who has experience working with the Paint gene and could take a look at the clutch? I will still have to prove things out and unfortunately the animal in question is female, so that will be a few years down the road. Since Paint is similar to Nazca, perhaps someone with a good eye can help. I'd appreciate anyone with experience who could chime in or if anyone could let me know if there is someone who I should be reaching out to.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Is anyone working with or knowlegable about the "Paint" gene?

I have some Nazca stuff from Jon, but have not bred any of them yet. I have a Super Nazca male, and two females, Mojave Nazca and Yellow Belly Nazca. I also have a male Pastel Butter Fire that is possible Nazca. I know Jon has pretty much disappeared, as of 2015 I have not been able to get in touch with him.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisPar For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (05-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPar View Post
    I have some Nazca stuff from Jon, but have not bred any of them yet. I have a Super Nazca male, and two females, Mojave Nazca and Yellow Belly Nazca. I also have a male Pastel Butter Fire that is possible Nazca. I know Jon has pretty much disappeared, as of 2015 I have not been able to get in touch with him.
    Thanks for the reply Chris. I guess we can learn together. I hope everything is alright with Jon.

Thanks

I am planning on breeding by Super Nazca to the Mojave Nazca to try and get a Mojave Super Nazca. I hope Jon is ok also. I have tried several times to make contact with him, and have also asked several other breeders in the same area as him if they have heard from him, but no one has talked to him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisPar For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (05-06-2018)

Thanks

I'm working with a Nazca too. I purchased it from Outback a couple years ago and they had gotten him as well as several other snakes from a collection sale. I just produced my first clutch this season. This particular guy is a Lesser Nazca that was poss het hypo, so I was proving out the hypo. I haven't been able to find much info or many people who know much about Nazca until now. I'd love to see some pics. I've been using paint ball markers to figure out which ones are carrying the gene.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zanin's ReptileZ For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (06-02-2018)

Thanks

Hey Zanin,
    Here is a link to the thread with pictures of the whole clutch. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ight=rlditmars

You say Outback bought a collection which I guess would be Jon Courtney's (Cold Blooded Addiction) since he has seemed to vanish and he was the first to brand the Nazca gene. The Leopard Pinstripe that sired the clutch was one I bought from Jon. Here is a picture of the Mojave that I thought just looked a little different.

Feel free to post a pic of yours.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know one person who works with paint, my friend Limey, if paint is involved he will be able to tell you.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (06-02-2018)

Thanks

Super late to this post, but my fiance and I have also been working a little bit with the nazca gene. We've had 2 clutches and gotten similar results both times.

Our male is supposedly nazca and the female is lesser nazca. Their first clutch resulted in 3 that looked like the sire and 1 that had a stripe and clean sizes like a g-stripe/super stripe. Their second clutch produced another stripe with clean sizes, a stripe that had muddy sides and 2 that appear lesser limited alien heads.