Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 843

2 members and 841 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Newbie questions! Please help

Hey all! So for the last year and a half I’ve been day dreaming of owning a bp, and finally that dream is becoming a reality.
    I just had a few questions before I dive head first into this:

1.) adult or baby? As a newbie to snakes, should I go for a baby or get an adult? Which would you recommend for an inexperienced owner

2.) WHERE did y’all Acquire yours? I’ve been looking at several websites (underground reptiles,xyz reptiles, backwater reptiles etc,) but would like opinions

3.) enclosure? What are you using currently(everything you’re using lol even if you feel like you’re over sharing, I’d appreciate all the info) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’d like something I could look into.

I swear I’ve done research, lol I just want answers from actual people and not google.
    TIA, beautiful people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellad0nna87 For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (05-04-2018),Kam (05-07-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Heya! Welcome,

First: Is that a huge tattoo on your chest in your profile pic? If so neat!-What is it of?

Questions:
    1) I prefer hatchlings. I think I get to know the snake better as it grows.
    2) I get all my snakes at Expos and I visually examine all the reptiles (every species) the breeder has on display-and if ANY of them look 'off' its no deal.
    3) I use a combination of tanks, bins, and racks (depending on display vs. quarantine vs. breeding)
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

bellad0nna87 (05-04-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-04-2018),dakski (08-25-2018)

Thanks

Re: Newbie questions! Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Heya! Welcome,

First: Is that a huge tattoo on your chest in your profile pic? If so neat!-What is it of?

Questions:
    1) I prefer hatchlings. I think I get to know the snake better as it grows.
    2) I get all my snakes at Expos and I visually examine all the reptiles (every species) the breeder has on display-and if ANY of them look 'off' its no deal.
    3) I use a combination of tanks, bins, and racks (depending on display vs. quarantine vs. breeding)
    Does my profile pic look blurry when you enlarge it? I’ll have to fix that! But it’s a chest piece of an owl and some flowers thank you for your answer! Unfortunately there are no expos in my area! I wish there was

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    welcome to the forum!!!

1) i started with a hatchling. i will admit it was a bit of a struggle to keep him eating regularly, but my ignorance played a big role in this as i was BRAND NEW to reptiles, let alone a ball python. as long as you know what you're doing, a hatchling is no more of a challenge to care for than an adult. i have 6 ball pythons now which i've all gotten as either babies or juvies, and i haven't had any issues caring for them. my first ball python will be 4 this year and hangs around 900g. he's doing well.

2. i've only gotten 1 snake from an expo, and all the rest were shipped to me from reputable breeders. what's important is to do your research on whomever you plan to buy from. there's good breeders and bad breeders, but this hobby is pretty good at weeding out the baddies. you can search the Fauna BOI for reviews on breeders and see who to look to and who to avoid. that website is invaluable to this hobby.

there's also breeders right here on this site selling snakes! one of my recent snakes was purchased from @Deborah, who is a phenomenal asset to this community and an awesome breeder.

3. i promise this advice is going to save you time, money, and headaches: AVOID GLASS ENCLOSURES/AQUARIUMS unless you live somewhere temperate and humid like florida. yes they're pretty, but glass enclosures suuuuuck at maintaining heat and humidity, and require some modification and constant tinkering to keep things level. i've been in the hobby for almost 4 years, and only 2 years ago did i finally ditch glass. i don't miss it!

if you buy a hatchling, your best option – for husbandry and your wallet – is to buy a 12qt (or 6qt) storage tub (with a locking lid!!!) from any home improvement store, and keep your lil one in there until they're ready to move into something bigger. i know it's not the most aesthetically-pleasing option, but young ball pythons do exceptionally well in these lil tubs. you can splurge on that pretty enclosure when the snake is bigger.

when that time comes, look into PVC enclosures. AP Cages is the forum favorite, but there are other options out there. just look out for PVC enclosures: they're fantastic at keeping temps and humidity and are nice to look at!

if you plan on getting more snakes, i'd look into a rack system. again, not a big pretty enclosure, but the snakes do so well in them and it makes keeping multiple snakes a breeeeze. also cheaper than a bunch of PVC enclosures!

i hope this helped some! don't be afraid to ask about anything; we're here to help!

EDIT: i have 3 beeps in a 32qt rack system, 2 beeps in quarantine in 32qt stand-alone tubs (with locking lids!) who will be moved into the rack once they graduate from quarantine, and my OG in an AP T8 PVC enclosure (he's spoiled!). i also have a 41qt rack system not currently in use that i will use once my other 5 beeps outgrows the 32qt rack system.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-04-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

bellad0nna87 (05-04-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-04-2018),dakski (08-25-2018),MD_Pythons (05-04-2018)

Thanks

Welcome! I have never purchased online, so unfortunately can't help you there. I'd highly recommend reading the stickies on BP husbandry, everything you need should be in there but feel free to keep asking!

My enclosure for BP: Currently have a 20 gallon long tank, she's about a year old. I use an under tank heater with a thermostat that keeps the temp above the glass no higher than 90. I have the screen wrapped in foil and duct tape ON THE OUTSIDE to keep in heat and humidity (have a 1"x1" cut out on each side for ventilation, and a circle cutout for CHE fixture) . I use a Ceramic Heat Emitter in the middle to keep ambients around 80. I use cypress mulch as substrate, and have 1 hide over the UTH and 1 on the cool side. I use a small water bowl that she drinks from, and a large one under the CHE that brings up humidity. Also have a fogger on a timer that keeps humidity up, saves me from daily misting. I use an accurite indoor/outdoor thermometer that shows humidity (keep it 60-65%, and bump when in shed) as well so I can get temps at both ends.

In the next 6 months or so I plan on upgrading to PVC, will make heating and humidity a lot easier to maintain.

One thing that is important, non negotiable, and pretty much never mentioned by pet stores, ALL HEATING DEVICES NEED TO BE REGULATED WITH A THERMOSTST.

Hope this helps, again, welcome!
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    welcome to the forum!!!

1) i started with a hatchling. i will admit it was a bit of a struggle to keep him eating regularly, but my ignorance played a big role in this as i was BRAND NEW to reptiles, let alone a ball python. as long as you know what you're doing, a hatchling is no more of a challenge to care for than an adult. i have 6 ball pythons now which i've all gotten as either babies or juvies, and i haven't had any issues caring for them. my first ball python will be 4 this year and hangs around 900g. he's doing well.

2. i've only gotten 1 snake from an expo, and all the rest were shipped to me from reputable breeders. what's important is to do your research on whomever you plan to buy from. there's good breeders and bad breeders, but this hobby is pretty good at weeding out the baddies. you can search the Fauna BOI for reviews on breeders and see who to look to and who to avoid. that website is invaluable to this hobby.

there's also breeders right here on this site selling snakes! one of my recent snakes was purchased from @Deborah, who is a phenomenal asset to this community and an awesome breeder.

3. i promise this advice is going to save you time, money, and headaches: AVOID GLASS ENCLOSURES/AQUARIUMS unless you live somewhere temperate and humid like florida. yes they're pretty, but glass enclosures suuuuuck at maintaining heat and humidity, and require some modification and constant tinkering to keep things level. i've been in the hobby for almost 4 years, and only 2 years ago did i finally ditch glass. i don't miss it!

if you buy a hatchling, your best option – for husbandry and your wallet – is to buy a 12qt (or 6qt) storage tub (with a locking lid!!!) from any home improvement store, and keep your lil one in there until they're ready to move into something bigger. i know it's not the most aesthetically-pleasing option, but young ball pythons do exceptionally well in these lil tubs. you can splurge on that pretty enclosure when the snake is bigger.

when that time comes, look into PVC enclosures. AP Cages is the forum favorite, but there are other options out there. just look out for PVC enclosures: they're fantastic at keeping temps and humidity and are nice to look at!

if you plan on getting more snakes, i'd look into a rack system. again, not a big pretty enclosure, but the snakes do so well in them and it makes keeping multiple snakes a breeeeze. also cheaper than a bunch of PVC enclosures!

i hope this helped some! don't be afraid to ask about anything; we're here to help!
    Awesome! Thank you sooooo much for all that info! If I were to go for an adult, what size PVC cage would be best? I’ve read conflicting reports on that lol
    Also: how often do you handle your bp for and for how long? My worry is stressing them out!
    Thanks again so much

Thanks

Also, that gif is adorable lol
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

bellad0nna87 (05-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bellad0nna87 View Post
    Does my profile pic look blurry when you enlarge it?
    Don't worry, it adds mystery
    Quote Originally Posted by bellad0nna87 View Post
    But it’s a chest piece of an owl and some flowers
    Owls! Cool! if I lived in Japan I would totally have one as a pet.

No Expos near you huh? That sucks!

I have 9 ball pythons from CV Exotics
    I have 3 ball pythons from Mike and Barry at NiceBalz
    Note: NiceBalz website is not up to date-they have a lot of good stuff they never seem to list. Weird.
    Zero issues with the snakes from both of these *two*, but, I never had my snakes shipped.
    *.* TNTC

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

bellad0nna87 (05-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    Also, that gif is adorable lol
    Omg isn’t it? I’m obsessed with it lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bellad0nna87 For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (05-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Don't worry, it adds mystery
    Owls! Cool! if I lived in Japan I would totally have one as a pet.

No Expos near you huh? That sucks!

I have 9 ball pythons from CV Exotics
    I have 3 ball pythons from Mike and Barry at NiceBalz
    Note: NiceBalz website is not up to date-they have a lot of good stuff they never seem to list. Weird.
    Zero issues with the snakes from both of these *two*, but, I never had my snakes shipped.
    I had no idea you could have owls as pets in Japan! That’s so awesome! I actually have 2 owl tattoos I love them!
    I so wish I could go to an expo for a snake but it looks like I’ll have to have mine shipped

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast