Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,780

2 members and 2,778 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,086
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, cemetarial
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Need Some Advice on Corn Snake tank

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I got busy and then I had work! ^^;
    When I got home from work last night I unplugged the heat lamp and my mom helped me move her cage to the second story of the house in the office (it's the warmest room).
    I just ordered the necessary items last night, but they won't arrive until Monday (the local hardware stores and even pet stores didn't have what I was looking for, unfortunately).

Thanks

Smile Update

Not sure how to edit my original post (if it's somewhere simple and I missed it, please forgive me) but I wanted to update you guys! I'll have pictures later, but several days ago I got a thermostat for my UTH. I also replaced the red heat lamp with a CHE, which has a light dimmer attached to it. Unfortunately the plan I had for my identical hides went poorly (I tried to gently break a soaked terracotta pot in half; it couldn't handle hammer time) so tomorrow I will get two plastic bowls and cut entrance holes in them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,811 Times in 11,836 Posts
    May I also suggest a different water bowl, one that's completely flat on the bottom (not rounded like this one is), because it's very easy for a snake to tip &
    empty that water bowl. Not only is that messy, but these things tend to happen AFTER we clean a cage, not before when it's dirty (LOL), and also, if a lot
    of cool/cold water suddenly soaks down to the hot glass where the UTH is, it's possible to crack the glass. (Aquarium glass is "tempered" & pretty tough, &
    I've been using UTH & spraying dilute disinfectant to clean tanks for many years without any breakage, but a liquid spray is far less of a shock to hot glass
    than the sudden flood from a dumped bowl of water. Better safe than sorry!)

Getting your heat equipment regulated to the right temperatures & making sure you aren't over-heating the whole cage (don't heat more than a third) is the
    most important thing to do first, but I just wanted to mention the water bowl while I'm thinking of it.

I don't think you can edit your original post; as far as I know, we only have 10 minutes from the time we post to edit any of our posts here.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-15-2018 at 01:00 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-15-2018)

Thanks

The best water bowls are at Walmart. I got a big one for less than $1 and it even doubles as a hide.

You can easily make hides with the small water bowls as well. Just buy two small ones and carve an entrance on the side. The plastic is so cheap and cuts so easily you could probably do it with a butter knife.
    Last edited by JRLongton; 05-15-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    You can also find very suitable "water bowls" for even less by shopping in thrift stores, & on one of my recent trips I found great savings on large but
    shallow rectangular plastic food containers that appeared to be new (sold at Walmart for lots more!) for a buck apiece. And thrift stores often support
    good local community causes too...this one (my favorite) raises money for our local Humane Society Shelter, so I often donate stuff & then shop too.
    Just a thought, if your budget is tight.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-15-2018 at 04:25 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-15-2018)

Thanks

Thrift Stores, eh? That's a great idea!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You can also find very suitable "water bowls" for even less by shopping in thrift stores, & on one of my recent trips I found great savings on large but
    shallow rectangular plastic food containers that appeared to be new (sold at Walmart for lots more!) for a buck apiece. And thrift stores often support
    good local community causes too...this one (my favorite) raises money for our local Humane Society Shelter, so I often donate stuff & then shop too.
    Just a thought, if your budget is tight.
    Are thrift stores the same as our charity shops in the UK ?

Or are they poundshops !?!

Either way I use both to find cheap water dishes and fake plastic / silk foliage for my snake vivs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Are thrift stores the same as our charity shops in the UK ?

Or are they poundshops !?!

Either way I use both to find cheap water dishes and fake plastic / silk foliage for my snake vivs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm not sure, not having been to the U.K. but it sounds similar. Our local "thrift stores" (aka re-sale shops) include some that support a women' & children's abuse shelter,
    the local hospital, the Humane Society shelter (as already noted), and the home for mentally-challenged. Some thrift stores are just "for profit" too, but for some reason I
    always find way better things that were donated & I suspect they also come with "good karma".

Thanks

Will these flower pots do? I got them at Dollar General the other day (haven't put them in the tank yet because I just fed Zinger on Tuesday and I didn't want to disturb her). I haven't washed them yet (they're kinda dusty on the inside and have a strong plastic smell to them), but I was planning on cutting a small entrance on the side for both of them.
    As for the water bowl, I think I have a flatter one somewhere... just gotta clean it. xD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodop View Post

Will these flower pots do? I got them at Dollar General the other day (haven't put them in the tank yet because I just fed Zinger on Tuesday and I didn't want to disturb her). I haven't washed them yet (they're kinda dusty on the inside and have a strong plastic smell to them), but I was planning on cutting a small entrance on the side for both of them.
    As for the water bowl, I think I have a flatter one somewhere... just gotta clean it. xD
    First, they appear to be too tall? Also, I would NOT use anything with a strong plastic smell...it will only get worse in a heated cage & I would assume
    that what is off-gassed is unhealthy, especially for a snake that will have reduced air-flow in the cage. (personally, I'd return them & try for much better-
    I recommend the ones from Reptile Basics)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-17-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast