Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

0 members and 3,091 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Need Some Advice on Corn Snake tank

Good Morning everyone!
    First thread-post on here since I joined in December! My apologies in advance if someone has already addressed this in a different thread and if I've used improper image sizes.
    Anyways, almost two weeks ago I bought my first corn snake from a Craigslist ad. Her name is Zinger! She came with her tank, water bowl, lamp with clamp, red light, a plastic greenry, a fake branch, brown reptile carpet, and some type of wood (don't worry, I've attached some pictures below). Because I already have another snake, she is currently being quarantined in a decently lit room in the basement. So far she seems really good (no mites, no signs of infections), but she was in a bad shed when I got her.

I would like to point out that the previous owner did not mention if they had recently cleaned the tank (at the time), so I deep cleaned the tank and accessories about a half hour to an hour after the snake got home. I replaced the aspen substrate (except for a handful or so which I placed around the hot side of the tank) with Forest Floor/cypress (due in part it was the only substrate I had at hand and hadn't been used before). Added in another hiding spot (the plastic bowl with a cut entrance) and threw in my only available thermometer/hygrometer. I also put a heat pad on the bottom right of the tank, but it's not currently plugged in (I don't have a thermostat to keep it under control).

I have concerns about this current set-up, however. Tank dimensions are about (rough estimates) 30"L x 12"w x 2' h. Might be 29 gallons.
    The bulb pictured here puts out A LOT of heat: it's a 120v 250w bulb and even at about 8-10 inches away from the top of the tank I've temped some spots to be 100 (which is bad, I know). Should I get a dimmer (if so, what kind) for this, or do something else? I'm not a big fan of the red lighting, but for right now it'll do. By the way, the substrate in some places is about 3-4 inches, if that makes a difference.

Whenever I check on Zinger, I always find her on the cool side of the tank. I realize this is mostly due to the hot side probably being too hot, but I also wonder if it's because her hot side hide is too exposing. Should I replace the hide with something else? Like a broken flower pot?

Zinger is an adult corn snake, maybe more than 3-4 years old: she's about 2 1/2 to maybe 3 1/2 feet? One of these days I will find a tape measure of some type. No matter, at some point I want to upgrade her cage to something that has more width and length (or at least more length). Any suggestions as to what tank dimensions/gallon amount I should look for? Or certain brands of tanks?

Should I get more "greenry" in the tank? I understand the more stuff I put in there, the more I have to clean. But if it would make her more comfortable, I'll do it.

I believe that should be it for right now. Thank you for taking the time to read through this! Any additional advice or anything of the sorts would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.
    I might also try for bio-active vivariums in the future, but not until next year. Any advice or links to good diy bio-active tank projects for ball pythons and corn snakes? Also, apologies for any grammatical errors.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Judging by your estimated dimensions your tank should be a 29 gal or 37 gal. It's the same amount of floor space as a 20L just a little taller. Plenty of people keep adult corns in 20L's. General rule of thumb is the length plus width of the tank should be more than the length of the snake. I.e. 30+12=42". You said your snake is 30"-42". So that 20L should be enough.

If there is a certain dimension you are trying to obtain due to available space, you can use this chart to find the corresponding gallon equivalent. http://www.alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

I would try ditching the red light/heat bulb. Then plug in the heat mat (uth). Depending on the ambient temp of your house you can even go without a heat source for a tiny bit of time till you can get a thermostat.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Rodop (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    First of all you should not be running any heat source without a thermostat...

thats step number one... get to your local shop or go on amazon and quickly order for expedited delivery a jumpstart or something similar to handle that. You will need two. One for the light and one for the UTH. Those lights can get SUPER HOT. I use one Justin to warm prey and they can easily get to 130 in minutes sometimes hotter.

You also need to get an infa red gun and a digital thermometer. Most of us here use accurate.

You will also want two identical hides so the snake isn’t forced to choose.

What is the temp in the basement ?? Unplug all heat sources until regulated. Corn snakes are strong and adaptable. If the basement is too cold find a room w a decent temp and move the tank there.

Go fill up that amazon cart ASAP and pony up for one day delivery

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-04-2018),Zincubus (05-15-2018)

Thanks

Re: Need Some Advice on Corn Snake tank

Also you may want to or should get a Che light instead of the heat lamp

Thanks
    Do not do as suggested above and just plug an unregualted uth in

no unregulated heat sources that is like reptile 101

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Do not do as suggested above and just plug an unregualted uth in

no unregulated heat sources that is like reptile 101
    phillybuds is correct. You shouldn't use an unregulated heat source. I was more stating that the uth could be used in a pinch as a slightly safer temporary alternative to the heat bulb. Best option is to remove the heat till it can be properly regulated.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    First of all you should not be running any heat source without a thermostat...

thats step number one... get to your local shop or go on amazon and quickly order for expedited delivery a jumpstart or something similar to handle that. You will need two. One for the light and one for the UTH. Those lights can get SUPER HOT. I use one Justin to warm prey and they can easily get to 130 in minutes sometimes hotter.

You also need to get an infa red gun and a digital thermometer. Most of us here use accurate.

You will also want two identical hides so the snake isn’t forced to choose.

What is the temp in the basement ?? Unplug all heat sources until regulated. Corn snakes are strong and adaptable. If the basement is too cold find a room w a decent temp and move the tank there.

Go fill up that amazon cart ASAP and pony up for one day delivery
    I do have an infrared temp gun, and the thermometer/hygrometer in there is a Acu-rite Thermometer with wired Sensor model 02067.
    The room I have her in is about 55-60.

Thanks
    That’s too cold. Can you bring her upstairs to a warmer area ?

how soon can you get thermostats ?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Comfortable temps for corns are 72-75 on the cool end and 85 max on the hot end, so she's definitely too hot with that light. If you can put her in a room that's around 70 and get a UTH, that should be all the heat she needs. Edited to say that you definitely need a thermostat with a UTH.
    Last edited by WhompingWillow; 05-04-2018 at 08:02 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I highly recommend using regulated UTH ("belly heat" works well for snakes, as long as it's not too hot, as they can/do get burned accidentally); using a light for warmth on a temporary basis is ok, but it needs a lamp dimmer from any hardware store, not expensive & very useful. I use some overhead lights (red & black bulbs usually) for warmth for some of my snakes that enjoy basking in their branches and you'd be surprised how fast even a low wattage bulb can over-heat a cage. That's probably why this snake had a bad shed too, heat lights really dry out the air. Corn snakes appreciate & do well with a humid hide* on the cool side of their cage anyway, with some damp sphagnum moss inside.
    *Get a plastic food container of adequate size & shape, cut a hole (doorway) in the lid, put in soaked moss, & you'll find your corn snake in there quite often, really loving it, both for the humidity & the "cave-like" coziness.

And btw, that tank size is fine for now, but as corn snakes grow, I like a 40 gal. "breeder" tank for them ultimately.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-04-2018 at 11:57 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Rodop (05-15-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast