Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

1 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question How to gain more confidence....

How do I gain more confidence with handling my BP? I've always been a littler nervous around snakes however I have always found them to be so beautiful and interesting and I have always wanted one so my wife bought us a 1.0 Coral Glow "Sunny" who is now about 6weeks old and 100g. I don't have an issue picking him up from his enclosure and holding him for a few minutes however now he is getting more comfortable and doesn't stay in a ball. He is starting to explore and be more active when I handle him and this is when I get a little uncomfortable and I guess nervous about him biting me even though he has never struck at my wife or I. He use to hiss when we would grab him from his enclosure however he doesn't really do that anymore in the 3 weeks i've had him. Any tips on overcoming this nervousness and being more comfortable?

1.0 Coral Glow BP
    2.3.2 Crested Gecko
    0.1 Leachianus
    1.2 Golden Retriever
    1.0 Maine Coon

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PCOOLEY13 For This Useful Post:

Booper (05-02-2018),Godzilla78 (05-02-2018),Jus1More (05-02-2018)

Thanks
    I have a Banana/CG that is named "Bad Attitude Banana" BAB for short. He was SUPER defensive, and would strike at anything when he was younger. I never owned a defensive/aggressive snake before so I would always be a bit nervous picking him up and letting him roam around my hands/lap. Eventually he settled down and stopped his nipping, but it took months!

Your nerves might be a lot like BAB (and other nippy snakes), where it just takes time with your animal to feel comfortable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaust For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (05-02-2018)

Thanks
    I highly recommend hook training. Before you reach in and grab him just rub him with a snake hook (or something similar) to make sure he's awake and let him know you're there. Then just keep the hook between his head and your hand and reach in and gently lift him out of his enclosure. Generally, most snakes aren't going to bite once they're out of their enclosure unless there is a sudden fast movement or something that startles them. Most snake bites are going to happen when you initially reach in to pick them up, but they will be fine once they're out. I'm sure there are nippy Ball Pythons just like any other species or any other kind of animal, but generally you don't have much to worry about with Ball Pythons. They are much more docile, shy and timid and less "aggressive" than most other species.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-02-2018)

Thanks

Re: How to gain more confidence....

That is a GORGEOUS snake! Congrats! If he's 100 grams , let him tag you once. You'll realize a mosquito bite is more annoying!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-02-2018),EDR (05-02-2018),Jus1More (05-02-2018),larryd23 (05-03-2018)

Thanks
    Congrats on your new snake!!
    ~Annie
    ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    That is a GORGEOUS snake! Congrats! If he's 100 grams , let him tag you once. You'll realize a mosquito bite is more annoying!
    You beat me to it. My suggestion was going to be to go visit a friend that has a defensive snake and take a bite. As long as the friend's defensive snake isn't a 10+ foot animal, you will find out that even if you do get tagged, there is nothing to it. Then with this knowledge, your nervousness will go away.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bistem For This Useful Post:

Jaust (05-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    I highly recommend hook training. Before you reach in and grab him just rub him with a snake hook (or something similar) to make sure he's awake and let him know you're there. Then just keep the hook between his head and your hand and reach in and gently lift him out of his enclosure. Generally, most snakes aren't going to bite once they're out of their enclosure unless there is a sudden fast movement or something that startles them. Most snake bites are going to happen when you initially reach in to pick them up, but they will be fine once they're out. I'm sure there are nippy Ball Pythons just like any other species or any other kind of animal, but generally you don't have much to worry about with Ball Pythons. They are much more docile, shy and timid and less "aggressive" than most other species.
    Another way besides "hook training" is to make sure your snake gets your scent (& don't handle rodents first, LOL!) I've always had long hair & have used it for this (dangled it to where the snake can sniff & realize I'm not incoming food), or you can use a sleeve from a worn shirt (same way), or for many snakes, just by blowing air across your hand into their direction (from a safe distance when your snake is "hoping for food"), you'd be surprised how fast most snakes "get it" and back off. This identifies you both as NOT FOOD, and as someone they know isn't a threat (ie. unknown predator) heading their way. I've known an awful lot of snakes...I find they appreciate not being startled & being given this information. They don't like being scared any more than we do....this is just good "snake manners".

Hook training is similar, but instead of scent, you are "talking" to their sense of touch. Both ways work. And you can do both if you want. Most snakes get
    more relaxed in time, they seem to learn to trust us, just as we learn to trust them. Try to imagine how they feel: nearsighted (not identifying you or anything by vision; they are attracted to motion thinking it might be food, & instinctively they must be ready at all times to grab prey in order to survive) and deaf (they feel bass notes only) and WAY smaller than us. Remember: the only thing that normally picks up a snake in nature is a predator that's about to EAT them...so be patient & do everything you can to convey they are safe with you. A little patience & "communication" makes for a calm pet snake.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-02-2018 at 07:35 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aigroegnohcav (05-04-2018),Godzilla78 (05-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Sounds like he was scared and is now curious. That's good!

You could hook train, and I do with my Female Boa (BCI) Behira. However, I've never had to with a BP. Anything that's going to be really big or is aggressive or has a strong food response (Behira has a very strong food response and is going to be big). Shayna, my BP, hissed at me when she first go comfortable in her tank when I first got her (about 200G). I called her bluff and picked her up. She did it three days in a row and never has since.

My advice is to support his body well, don't make any sudden movements, and let him get used to you and being handled more. Sounds like he is moving that way.

I also don't mess around when taking my snakes out. In other words, I don't show hesitancy. If Shayna is in her tank and I go in to pick her up, I do that. I don't get wishy washy. Some people put their hand in, take it out, move it around, and are afraid to just grab the snake. I think that makes it more likely to get a defensive bite. You can be sturdy and supportive and control the snake while stilling being gentle. That's the goal.

If you want to hook train, that would work, but 99% of the time, BP's don't need that. Feel free to ask how to do that if you are unsure. It's worked wonders with Behira.

Also, snake bites in general, and certainly with a BP, are more startling than painful! Behira nailed me a few months ago (hence the hook training now) hoping I was a rat. A) I barely felt it and her head is easily as big as Shayna's is and Shayna is full grown. It drew blood but really wasn't painful. B) It just caught me off guard.

Also, I always feed at night with the lights off. During the day, even Behira (usually) is not expecting food. She does expect it at night though! You definitely do not want the snake thinking you are or could be food.

Sounds like you are on the right track and keep us in the loop and let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

You guys are awesome, Thanks
    Last edited by PCOOLEY13; 05-02-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    1.0 Coral Glow BP
    2.3.2 Crested Gecko
    0.1 Leachianus
    1.2 Golden Retriever
    1.0 Maine Coon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bistem View Post
    You beat me to it. My suggestion was going to be to go visit a friend that has a defensive snake and take a bite. As long as the friend's defensive snake isn't a 10+ foot animal, you will find out that even if you do get tagged, there is nothing to it. Then with this knowledge, your nervousness will go away.
    This is what i'm thinking. The unknown is the scariest part. I mean he has never really showed aggression other than hissing in the beginning when trying to pick him up however now he doesn't really do it. I think things are going great since he ate F/T the first time for me, has had 2 successful feedings and his first giant poop that unfortunately my wife had to deal with since i was at work haha. I just want that first tag out of the way lol. I work in surgery and have had a surgeon accidentally stab me with a scalpel which i know is 100x worse than what the snake can do
    1.0 Coral Glow BP
    2.3.2 Crested Gecko
    0.1 Leachianus
    1.2 Golden Retriever
    1.0 Maine Coon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast