Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

3 members and 3,278 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    I don't know if this story is legit or not, either way it's totally bonkers.

Monty, or whoever you are, I hope you have a great home and life ... wherever and with whomever that may be. The one thing that is for certain in all of this is that you're a handsome devil.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (05-02-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-03-2018),GpBp (05-03-2018),tttaylorrr (05-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: So, I decided to keep him. Name is Monty Python

Wow...that snake was lucky that a knowledgeable snake-lover found him & is taking care of him so well. If he turns out to be owned by your
    neighbor that's out of town (which sounds pretty likely at this point?) then you just might end up with a reward or some great "karma" at least.
    It does seem that a snake like this would not have been abandoned or lost without being missed. Nice adventure at least.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Did you ask your neighbor if they were recently a customer of a breeder on morph market?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Dang, now people are doubting he found it and that he bought it and lied? Why? And most of all, who cares. Just take it for face value and call it a day. The OP gains nothing by lying on a forum of people he personally doesnt know. I mean i guess he could lie for the attention but honestly, i would rather brag about how i bought the snake rather than to say i found it...unless i really found it lol.

And imo with Caesar, retics dont seem any harder to care for than my boas. They take more time in the fact that you need to clean poop and piss more often and change their substrate more often. And feed more often. But thats about it. I dont have experience with a 18 foot retic but imo any large constrictor be it 8 feet or 18 feet is going to demand respect. The real difference is just cage sizing food sizing, poopand pee sizing. The respect sizing will be the same. I wouldnt respect a 10 foot snake any less than i respect a 18 foot snake. Both could ruin your day in the blink of an eye and both are still wild and can be unpredictable.

Regardless, nice snake whether found or bought and here's to hoping your neighbors retic is still in its cage when she gets home lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-03-2018),tttaylorrr (05-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

this just seemed like a crazy roundabout way to fall into a mate for his 0.1 Retic w/o resentment for his inexperience. i mean he didn't know what a urate was just this February. it's a crazy story and i'm probably wrong but Skyrivers seems to be that kinda crazy guy afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I might have found his owner. A lady that lives on the other side of my neighbor's house responded to my post in Facebook. She provided me photos. Her and her family been out of town for a week because her mother-in-law died. They won't be back till this weekend. Then we can find out if her snake is still in its enclosure. I will update everyone this weekend after they get back. Till then. he is house safely and well taken care of.
    u should ask her to join the forum. we would love another member of the community and would love to see progression pix of this boy.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-03-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Who knows, maybe a neighbor bought it, lost it and then his neighbor found it.
    so the story I pulled out my behind may be what actually happened? If so, that's kinda cool that now you know you have a neighbor that is also into retics.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 05-02-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    For the Horde!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (05-02-2018),Starscream (05-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well, I dont know Skyriver's snake experience but if it is fairly new, i wouldnt even think of breeding. I have kept reptiles since a kid and have had all kinds of stuff from iguanas to Monitors to boas and now a retic and GTP and i personally would be very cautious if i dipped my toes into breeding.

As for just owning reptiles, as long as you do the research and know what you are getting into and can afford it, I see no reason to not plunge in. I steered clear of GTPs for about 35 years simply because of all the horror stories i heard and you know what, i regret listening to them. Since i got Pat, he is to me, no harder to care for than my boas. I did do a LOT of research so i knew what i was getting into. It's like Gilas and Beaded Lizards. I have always wanted one of those as well and i have been doing LOTS of research on them and have wanted to pull the trigger a few times but i am being cautious as they are a big commitment. Plus i want to make sure i have all my bases covered. My vet said she will see gilas and beaded and has seen them before but not that often. And in my area, they are legal to own as long as you have paperwork from the breeder stating its not WC and is USCBB.

Anyways, whether Skyriver is crazy or not, i cant answer that but dont let anything deter you from wanting to get the reptile you love as long as you can give it the proper care and know what you are going to end up with.

And i agree with April, it would be cool to know that you have a neighbor who is into large constrictors too.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-02-2018),Reinz (05-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well, I dont know Skyriver's snake experience but if it is fairly new, i wouldnt even think of breeding. I have kept reptiles since a kid and have had all kinds of stuff from iguanas to Monitors to boas and now a retic and GTP and i personally would be very cautious if i dipped my toes into breeding.

As for just owning reptiles, as long as you do the research and know what you are getting into and can afford it, I see no reason to not plunge in. I steered clear of GTPs for about 35 years simply because of all the horror stories i heard and you know what, i regret listening to them. Since i got Pat, he is to me, no harder to care for than my boas. I did do a LOT of research so i knew what i was getting into. It's like Gilas and Beaded Lizards. I have always wanted one of those as well and i have been doing LOTS of research on them and have wanted to pull the trigger a few times but i am being cautious as they are a big commitment. Plus i want to make sure i have all my bases covered. My vet said she will see gilas and beaded and has seen them before but not that often. And in my area, they are legal to own as long as you have paperwork from the breeder stating its not WC and is USCBB.

Anyways, whether Skyriver is crazy or not, i cant answer that but dont let anything deter you from wanting to get the reptile you love as long as you can give it the proper care and know what you are going to end up with.

And i agree with April, it would be cool to know that you have a neighbor who is into large constrictors too.

To answer a few things being said about me.

1) Never said I was going to breed. I said that a friend of mine approached me about breeding and buying the eggs. I want more experience with larger snakes before I even go that way. Last thing I want it to try to remove eggs from a mother that would be protecting her eggs right now. I am just educating myself as much as I can and will continue to do so. I would also want a couple of years of breeding BPs or something smaller before going anywhere near breeding.

2) I ask a lot of questions for several reasons. I like to learn as much as I can. When I had snakes as a child I did not have internet or other people to talk to about husbandry so now that I am back into snakes I ask a lot of questions because the information is more readily available. I work hard to provide good healthy homes for all my animals. I love them and will continue to do so.

3) No reason to lie about anything here. I thought was cool find so I shared it. That simple.

4) Keeping him is not an easy decision but is based on knowing I can and will provide a good home for him. I only planned on owning 1 retic. If he belongs to the neighbor I will be happy to reunite them with him but also taking some clamps and a lock with me as a gift. Once again it is about making sure he is cared for. If their snake is home then I will happily care for him with NO plans on breeding him. We will find out Saturday and I will update then.

5) I love my animals dearly and will do everything I can to make sure they are happy and healthy. I took Rainbow to get her eye looked at. I took Lucy to get her injuries looked at (she is a rescue and was attacked by live prey before I got her). I will research husbandry to make sure I am on track.

Please all you trolls, find something else to do. I am just a herp lover that will be a snake parent for a long time.

To everyone who always offers helpful advice, Thank you so much.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    As for just owning reptiles, as long as you do the research and know what you are getting into and can afford it, I see no reason to not plunge in. I steered clear of GTPs for about 35 years simply because of all the horror stories i heard and you know what, i regret listening to them

That is one reason I don't have a GTP is the "attitude". I owned a tree boa and she was grumpy as heck. I hear the GTPs are easier and less grumpy. I don't have any experience with them though. Love their beauty of them though.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 05-03-2018 at 08:43 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-03-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I didn't look at this thread the last few days...
    Boy did I miss a lot!!!

I'll be looking forward to the thrilling conclusion over the weekend...its like waiting for a new episode of your favorite show when the last episode ended with a cliffhanger.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-03-2018),jmcrook (05-03-2018)

Thanks

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-03-2018)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast