Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,193

0 members and 1,193 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Scaleless Corn - WANT - But Love Katie

About 6 months ago, Katie agreed that we could get one more snake, AND THAT WAS IT!

I went big and bold and got Behira, my female Ghost BCI! I love her and have no regrets. I chose her over a scaleless corn. I wanted something different, and I have an Albino Spider BP (Shayna), a Hypo-Lavendar Corn (Figment), a Northern BTS (Frank), and 3 Leopard Gecko females of various morphs (Kayla, Carra, and Cleo).

I made my peace with it and love Behira to bits (Picures below). Katie loves her too.

I started jonesing a little recently and love this beauty - Reverse Okeetee Scaleless Female!

Here's the thing. I am kind of at my limit, and although one more corn wouldn't be the end of the world and I can both afford and would be able to adequately care for the animal.

At what cost, and when does it end - when is enough enough? There has to be a hard stop somewhere, right?

By what cost I mean, yes I love corn snakes, yes it's an amazing and beautiful animal, and yes I'd love to have it.

However, as much as I love the idea of having this little girl, I have the best woman in the world, Katie, and I love her more than anything. I would never jeopardize that for anything.

I made a deal that Behira would be it for a long time and I need to stick to that.

I just wanted to share the mini-conondrum and vent about wanting/jonesing a little.

This will end very well; without a corn, but with the love of my life forever.

Thank you for hearing me out.

David

Katie and Behira (in Blue - so dark - but totally chill - as always).

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

67temp (05-01-2018),AbsoluteApril (04-30-2018),Avsha531 (05-01-2018),Bogertophis (06-06-2018),hilabeans (04-30-2018),MD_Pythons (05-01-2018),richardhind1972 (05-01-2018),the_rotten1 (04-30-2018),tttaylorrr (04-30-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Scaleless Corn - WANT - But Love Katie

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

I just wanted to share the mini-conondrum and vent about wanting/jonesing a little.
    Yeah it can be a give and take working with a passion for live animals and being in a relationship. On both parts. but I guess compromise and sacrifice are parts of *any* relationship that is valued.

I've rehomed and said goodbye to loved critters because of relationship demands before, it's never easy. I've curtailed the collection to an agreed amount in the past, also not easy and the jonesing can get intense in the moment. Currently very lucky to be involved with someone with as much passion for reptiles as I have. However, I am not above bribing either if it might work. That's how I got 'yet another' BP a while back, the aptly named 'PS4'
    For the Horde!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2018),dakski (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

this made me smile.

katie is ridiculously lucky to have you, and vice versa. you obviously understand your situation and are respectful of - and value - your partner. to get the Corn would be a wholly selfish act, but selfishness is not inherently bad or negative: it's part of the human experience and necessary for us to be us. that being said, fighting that urge to indulge oneself is also part of being human.

we're just animals driven by instinct, but love can bring out the weirdest side of humans: a side of us that can lift a car off another, or willingly put ourselves in danger for the sake of a loved one, or embarrass yourself in public when your partner is feeling down, lots of weird stuff.

to put down the selfishness and view someone's feelings as truly equal to your own is such a beautiful part of a relationship, and a sign that your values are in line with one another. that's strength.

my relationship streak has suuucked lately, hence this dumb lengthy and sappy reply. this was so cute to read.

i think i kinda hate u both lol.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-30-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Yeah it can be a give and take working with a passion for live animals and being in a relationship. On both parts. but I guess compromise and sacrifice are parts of *any* relationship that is valued.

I've rehomed and said goodbye to loved critters because of relationship demands before, it's never easy. I've curtailed the collection to an agreed amount in the past, also not easy and the jonesing can get intense in the moment. Currently very lucky to be involved with someone with as much passion for reptiles as I have. However, I am not above bribing either if it might work. That's how I got 'yet another' BP a while back, the aptly named 'PS4'
    I've had to re-home animals in the past too, and I hated it. I don't want to go through that again. More important to me to stay committed the animals I have and to Katie than acquire another one. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't still want . It just means I am being rational and honoring my commitments and relationships.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post

this made me smile.

katie is ridiculously lucky to have you, and vice versa. you obviously understand your situation and are respectful of - and value - your partner. to get the Corn would be a wholly selfish act, but selfishness is not inherently bad or negative: it's part of the human experience and necessary for us to be us. that being said, fighting that urge to indulge oneself is also part of being human.

we're just animals driven by instinct, but love can bring out the weirdest side of humans: a side of us that can lift a car off another, or willingly put ourselves in danger for the sake of a loved one, or embarrass yourself in public when your partner is feeling down, lots of weird stuff.

to put down the selfishness and view someone's feelings as truly equal to your own is such a beautiful part of a relationship, and a sign that your values are in line with one another. that's strength.

my relationship streak has suuucked lately, hence this dumb lengthy and sappy reply. this was so cute to read.

i think i kinda hate u both lol.
    Tttaylorrr,

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement and strength.

Hang in there, it took me a long time and lots of trials and tribulations to find Katie (other relationships, a bad marriage and then divorce, etc.). I was 36 when I met Katie. Not saying it will be the same for you, but better to do it right, whenever, than just do it.

I was expecting years of dating and possibly never finding my soulmate after my divorce. I met Katie 5 months after my divorce was finalized and she was the second person I went on a date with. Go figure. Sometimes, it's when we least expect it.

Good things will come.

David

Thanks

David,

I can totally relate to your feelings. I have the tendency to go overboard with pretty much everything I do, and when it comes to more snakes I just want to go all Pokemon and collect them all lol. I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend in my life that keeps me in check when I come with some crazy idea of how I'm going to get another and another. If I got them all I wouldn't ever have time (or money) to be with her. She is incredibly supportive of my hobby and likes my snakes too, and I'm blessed that she will actually help me make rational decisions about purchasing new animals rather than me just jumping into things. I've been wanting a Suriname for a while and when I had some money saved for it she actually talked through with me all the expenses and what I would need to see if it makes sense, and after going through it for a while the time was right. She gladly drove with me for hours to go pick it up this weekend (sneak preview pic in shed below, will be more pics in a few weeks when she sheds and I can handle her-dying of impatience lol). The point is, and you clearly understand this, relationships are give and take, and even though I sometimes have to give up things I would do if I was single for the sake of my relationship, I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's really cool how you get this, and it's still ok to want something and I appreciate you sharing that. If it's meant to be, you will get it when the time is right. Everything comes with patience in its own time.

Which brings me to Tttaylorrr, I've been there. Went 5 years with an awful dating streak. Did some work on myself and decided that in order for me to be happy, I need to learn how to be happy on my own before bringing someone else into the equation because someone else wasn't going to fix me. I made a decision that when the time is right, it will come, and it did. It will for you too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Relationships aren't just about commitment or keeping your word. They also involve honesty and open communication. Does Katie know how you feel about the corn and have ya'll had a open discussion about it? Keeping it to yourself could lead to resentment. You never know, she may actually support you getting the corn or could even get it for you as a present later down the road.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2018),dakski (05-01-2018),tttaylorrr (05-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    Relationships aren't just about commitment or keeping your word. They also involve honesty and open communication. Does Katie know how you feel about the corn and have ya'll had a open discussion about it? Keeping it to yourself could lead to resentment. You never know, she may actually support you getting the corn or could even get it for you as a present later down the road.
    She kind of knows. However, I haven't pushed it. Trying to be respectful. I do not feel forced though, I agreed to Behira being it.

Having said that, might be worth discussing again.

Good point.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Try to convince Katie to buy her own snake and hope she chooses a scaleless corn.

**dr del - self confessed enabler of mobile noodles**
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-01-2018)

Thanks

There has been a drastic change of events.

I've still be jonesing for a Scaleless Corn. Katie was very much on the fence. I said if we got one, she should pick it out and name it. She has been open to looking at pictures, but refused to make a commitment. Totally understood. Yesterday, I happen to be looking at Don Sodergberg's site, http://www.cornsnake.net, he has had quite a few scaleless corns for sale, different morphs, and was just putting up this years hatchlings. I saw one that blew my mind and called him immediately, not 5 minutes after he posted her. Her put a 48 hour reserve on her for me, pending Katie's approval.

Well, she blew Katie's mind as well. Katie told me she was, "stunning and beautiful," and she was worth getting another snake for. Additionally, even at 3 months and 8G, she is docile as anything and tolerates handling without nipping or tail rattling, etc. A couple weeks with me (after being settled in) and she will be good to go. Ladies and Gentleman, please meet, name per Katie, Solana (it means sun in Spanish), potentially the world's first Scaleless Sunglow Motley offered for sale.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

More pictures and her own thread to come. AND THIS IS IT FOR A LONG WHILE - All my cages are full and my collection, in my mind, is complete. This is a once in a lifetime snake. Don put her up for show and tell for today on FB. https://www.facebook.com/19402588730...263778/?type=3She might be the first Scaleless Sunglow Motley in the world for sale.
    Last edited by dakski; 06-06-2018 at 09:54 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (06-07-2018),Bogertophis (06-07-2018),the_rotten1 (06-06-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast