Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,164

1 members and 1,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Heating & Lighting Suggestions?

What do you guys suggest for heating and light sources for a ball python in a large x wide Exo Terra terrarium? I currently have a LED bulb with a dome, I don't use it but it came with her set up when I bought her. I went out and bought her a heat lamp from Walmart (not the best place to purchase anything for a reptile, I know but it was kind of an emergency since the heat pad she came with was not giving her belly enough heat).

So, I got her a rather large heating pad which covers about half of the entire tank and keeps the 'warm' side at about 80 degrees at belly level. The thermometer on the 'warm' side of her tank reads 80 degrees as well and on the 'cool' side it reads 78 degrees. I am unconcerned with the temperature on the cool side of the tank, it seems just right. I've also been keeping a damp towel folded on top of half of the tank lid (which is mesh) to help with the humidity and I mist the tank once a day. As for lighting, the heat lamp (GE incandescent heat bulb) is on all day, I put it about 6 inches away from the top of the tank so that there is no chance it can burn her. I just learned that the heat lamp is not suitable for night time so I turn it off at night and allow the UTH to be her only heat source. Not sure if that's enough though.

I've read a few articles online and unfortunately since there is so much information on the internet concerning housing ball pythons and proper care for them, some of the information I found contradicts information I've found elsewhere. I have found a few consistencies, however. Many articles say that red light (incandescent) should be used only during the day. Most articles say that snakes need UVA and UVB light during the day as well. So, my questions are: What light would be recommended for use at night? And should I get a UVA/UVB light for during the daytime? Is the red incandescent light I have (which seems to give off ample heat) unnecessary if I get a UVA/UVB light?

Also, on a related note, I have one hide for my ball python currently. I have ordered another that should arrive soon but for now, her hide sits smack in the middle of her tank. The top of the hide gets pretty warm and I am concerned that her hide is too warm. Although, she sits in her hide almost all day. When I first got her, she would sit in the farthest corner, behind the styrofoam background that comes with the Exo-Terra tank because her previous owner put her UTH in that corner. So, if she was too warm I assume she would hide behind the styrofoam on the cool side of the tank... right?

Thanks in advance for any help! Tsarina and I appreciate it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Re: Heating & Lighting Suggestions?

You can replace the red light with a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE), which emits no light and can be on 24/7.

Most people don't consider UVB lights necessary, but I like to use them anyways. Snakes can see UVA, so not using a UVA/UVB light means that part of their vision is constantly missing in captivity. Plus, some snakes come out and bask more under UVB lamps if they're goven the option. UVB lights don't produce much heat, so they're not a replacement for a heat bulb.

As a side note, are your heat sources regulated with a thermostat (different than a thermometer) or a dimmer? If not, you'll want to get a thermostat/dimmer ASAP, as without it your snake can suffer from burns. Also, how are you measuring surface temperatures?
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

tsarina (04-29-2018),tttaylorrr (04-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I use the Zoo Med red infrared spot bulbs, never had an issue with them. All my animals are doing just fine. And far as Starscream’s response, I am also curious if you have the rest of your set up done properly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

tsarina (04-29-2018)

Thanks
    No, I do not have a thermostat. I went ahead and ordered a ceramic bulb, which comes with a digital thermometer and I've also ordered a Fluker's digital thermometer/hygrometer. I have an analog thermometer as well but its readings are unreliable so I decided to go ahead and order a few digital thermometers to replace the analog ones.

I already have a UVA bulb, so I will go back to using that during the day as well as the ceramic heat bulb. I feel the heat lamp is necessary because the heat mat I bought (while it's a large one) does not heat the bottom of the tank well enough. It keeps the one side warm at best. I measure surface temperature with a probe thermometer. Why would a thermostat be important? The only difference (from what I can tell) between a thermostat and a thermometer is that a thermostat can turn off/on the unit if the inside of the tank gets too warm or too cold. However, the Tsarina's tank is pretty stable. The temperature has remained within the 80-85 degree zone and has not gone below or above.

For the heat lamp, I have a lamp stand that sits outside of her cage, 6-8 inches above the mesh of her tank. I doubt she could burn herself, even if she sat up against the mesh itself. The stainless steel/plastic that makes up the top of the tank, does not get hot. It's warm to the touch but not hot.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    I'm on mobile with really slow data right now so I hope someone else can go into more detail but REAL QUICK

A thermostat is vital and the most important equipment because it regulates your heat sources, preventing it from overheating or burning your snake. Trust us when we say snake burns are nasty business and the vet bill will cost way more than a thermostat. ALL heat sources must be regulated. This includes your UTH AND lamp/CHE

Keep in mind what feels warm to you, a mammal with a natural body temperature around 98F will feel significantly different to a cold bloded animal.

The only way to take ACCURATE surface temperatures is with a temp gun not a thermometer which is best to measure AMBIENT temperatures. Chances are your temps are too warm since they are unregulated. Make note you are to measure temps from your heatmat UNDER the substrate against the glass directly. BP's can burrow.

My phone is driving my crazy but hoping this quick reply will help give you an idea that yes, a thermostat is important. Its not optional, You need one.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 04-29-2018 at 06:45 PM. Reason: I HATE THIS PHONE
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Starscream (04-29-2018),tsarina (04-29-2018),tttaylorrr (04-29-2018)

Thanks
    Could anyone recommend a good thermostat that doesn't break the bank? I have Amazon Prime, so I prefer to order thru Amazon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Re: Heating & Lighting Suggestions?

I have no personal experience with, but have heard good things about, both Inkbird and Jumpstart thermostats.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

tsarina (04-29-2018)

Thanks
    Starscream, I'll check those out. Thank you for the help.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Are you getting that hot spot on the surface of the substrate?
    You should be monitoring the hottest surface your animal can touch. This would be under the substrate directly on the glass.
    They can aand will burrow and I can bet its a lot hotter than you think.