Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

4 members and 2,871 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Kids with Reptiles - Picture Thread

A) Dakski, awesome pics and update!!! Seeing how well you are teaching them is really cool. Great work spreading the live for reptiles to the next generation!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Those are fantastic photos- you're a very good influence! It tickles me how you keep saying you're never more than a foot or so away, & I understand
    why you're doing that...but how many people say such things when their kids play with their dogs or cats? And we all know which pets pose the greater
    risks...but if we all keep up the education, maybe some day people won't think anything more of close encounters with reptiles than they currently do when
    it's a "traditional" pet (dog or cat) that kids are handling.
    Great reply, very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    LOL. More worried about the kids hurting the reptiles. Hence being a foot or two away.
    So funny you say that!! My brother had my BP out yesterday and my father's girlfriend was holding him. As always, I was never more than a few feet away, watching every move.
    Well I had to run inside to get some food going so quietly pulled my brother aside and said "keep an eye on Tyson".

And he said "Cheryl has him, she's comfortable with him" to which I replied "I'm not worried about her, but that's my boy in her hands!!!"

Hahahaha! I wasn't worried at all about him biting or anything, his well being was my concern!! My snakes are either locked safely in their enclosures, or if they're out I'm right there with them.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-18-2018),richardhind1972 (06-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    So funny you say that!! My brother had my BP out yesterday and my father's girlfriend was holding him. As always, I was never more than a few feet away, watching every move.
    Well I had to run inside to get some food going so quietly pulled my brother aside and said "keep an eye on Tyson".

And he said "Cheryl has him, she's comfortable with him" to which I replied "I'm not worried about her, but that's my boy in her hands!!!"

Hahahaha! I wasn't worried at all about him biting or anything, his well being was my concern!! My snakes are either locked safely in their enclosures, or if they're out I'm right there with them.
    I am always prepared to take the hit or protect my animals when letting others hold them or even pet them. I do education first then stay right there looking out for them. First thing someone always wants to do is put Rainbow around their neck. I try to discourage the practice in general. Not that she would intentionally hurt them but that she will grow much larger and could eventually hurt someone doing this. Technique and no-go zones are always discussed before hand as well as not grabbing and just guiding them where to go.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I am always prepared to take the hit or protect my animals when letting others hold them or even pet them. I do education first then stay right there looking out for them. First thing someone always wants to do is put Rainbow around their neck. I try to discourage the practice in general. Not that she would intentionally hurt them but that she will grow much larger and could eventually hurt someone doing this. Technique and no-go zones are always discussed before hand as well as not grabbing and just guiding them where to go.
    Yeah, i always go over proper handling and do/donts before letting anybody new handle or pet them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Yeah, i always go over proper handling and do/donts before letting anybody new handle or pet them.
    Absolute must! With anyone, any age, etc.

The kids know the rules and last time Christopher didn't get to pet the snakes and was removed from the reptile area because he wanted to jump around instead of be respectful and calm with the animals.

He didn't want a repeat and was on very good behavior yesterday.

I draw very strict, but fair, boundaries for the kids. They are communicated well and we do not approach an activity until they can explain/articulate what the rules are back to me. That's overall, this allows for a level of trust with the reptiles, because they know that is a zero tolerance zone.

I think explaining the "rules/guidelines" for handling the reptiles, especially for people new to them, gives them a level of comfort as well as protects the animals.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-16-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-18-2018)

Thanks

Had Christopher and Meghan over today again. They spent some more time with the reptiles. Meghan is growing into a good reptile handler at almost 8 years old. She's been viewing and touching my reptile collection since she was 2 1/2 years old. At 6-7 she was allowed to help hold and then hold on her own with close supervision. She demonstrates a natural ability to support the reptiles and gently redirect them, when necessary. Christopher, who turns 5 in September, has begun wanting to hold and touch more, but always with me or Katie holding also, or completely.

Below are some pictures with Shayna (BP) and Figment (adult corn), both of whom Meghan has watched grow up from babies, as she has grown from one herself.

We had Frank out briefly, but I didn't take pictures, and took Behira out for about a minute as well. Meghan loves Behira and can't wait until she's grown and a gentle giant, but Behira is going to shed any day now, and I didn't want to handle her too much. I took her out, gently sprayed warm water in her tank to slightly raise humidity, and then put her back.

The kids also met Solana today. She blew Meghan's mind. Meghan was 3 when I got Figment and he was 9G, and she was too young to remember, and I wouldn't let a 3 year old handle a baby corn anyway. Meghan thought Solana was beautiful and so tiny! Katie and I held Solana and Meghan got to gently touch her and then hold her with us. In other words, we held her, and Meghan had her hand out with ours, so Solana got to slither a little on her hand and through her fingers, while we supported her 90%+. She's really taking to being handled and is getting quite docile and calm. We told Meghan that Solana really liked her. Meghan said, "Really? Already? She just met me!" We told her that she helped Solana feel safe and not scared and that she was comfortable with Meghan helping hold her. Meghan then proceeded to tell Solana, "I'm your friend Meghan. We are going to be friends for a long time." So cute!

I love seeing the kids embrace the reptiles and truly enjoy them. It's awesome. Additionally, this was the first time Katie directly interacted with the kids and the reptiles. Katie did fantastic as well, both as reptile handler and as "teacher." It was great to see her interacting so well with Meghan and Christopher (who I've know their entire lives, but who've only known Katie for 2 years), but also amazing to see her so calm, confident, and happy interacting with the reptiles as well.

Without further ado. Pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-16-2019),richardhind1972 (07-08-2018)

Thanks

My niece and nephew, Meghan and Christopher (7 and 4 respectively) came over again today. Christopher wanted to watch TV, but Meghan wanted to see the reptiles after just a little TV.

As usual, Meghan was fantastic with the reptiles. She's gentle, but firm, and shows now fear!

Here are some pictures from today. Meghan even got her mom to hold all 4 snakes, and she did really well!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-16-2019),richardhind1972 (08-12-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Great pics as usual, looks like Megan will be wanting her own reptiles when she's older, nice to see her mum enjoying them too

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Great pics as usual, looks like Megan will be wanting her own reptiles when she's older, nice to see her mum enjoying them too

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Richard.

Meghan really wanted to see the baby snake, Solana. However, Solana is on quarantine still, so she had to be last. Also, I have 8 reptiles now, so it takes a while to show them all off. Meghan started getting anxious to see Solana about half way through. She was a good sport though.

When we told her that I had 8 reptiles, and asked how many she wanted, she said, "100!" We will see. She really is very good with them; better than I would have been at that age. However, enjoying handling them and caring for them are not equal . We will see what interests she has and what she wants as she grows. I am pretty sure pets, and probably reptiles, will be at the top of her list. She adores the dogs as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Does this count as kids with reptiles?

I know these do.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 08-13-2018 at 08:08 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-13-2018),richardhind1972 (08-13-2018)

Thanks

Meghan went with me to the local reptile store today.

She got to hold a Super Mojave baby male BP, about 150G, and really enjoyed the shop.

I showed her a big female BCI they have breeding there, probably 20+ pounds easy. She said, "I can't wait until Behira is that big!"

My mom called while we were in the car home and I told her what Meghan said. She asked if Meghan was afraid of anything? Meghan said, "Spiders, wolves, and bears; large meat eaters. Oh, and dinosaurs, especially tyrannosaurus rex!"

So there you have it.

No wolves, bears, spiders, or T-rex's at Uncle Dave's house. Too bad, I was really hoping to add a Dwarf T-Rex to my collection .

Here's Meghan in the shop and with the Super Mojave (who, I should add, Meghan suggested be named "Scaley").

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-16-2019),richardhind1972 (08-24-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast