Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,823

2 members and 2,821 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question IS my rescue a BCC or BCI?

I'm picking up a boa constrictor tomorrow. The man I'm getting him from hasn't given me his specific species or locality, but claims he is a Jungle morph. (I don't think he's a jungle, his patterns super regular.) Anyways, I'm leaning more towards BCC but want input. What is he?

I've named him Lugwrench. He is just under 2 years old and the man says "about three feet."

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: IS my rescue a BCC or BCI?

Probably a BCC. I don't see jungle either, but I am not an expert.

Pretty much all morphs, and most Boa's sold, are BCI's. Unless stated as BCC's, or True Red Tails, it's doubtful he is one.

Either way, make sure to read up and ask questions. There are quite a few Boa people on here. Not sure what other snakes you have, but if it's a male BCI, he likely won't get huge (like a female BCI, or like a true BCC). Also, be sure to make sure husbandry and tank size, etc. are correct and adequate.

Finally, BCI's, and even more so, BCC's, need to be slow grown or they can have shorter lives (even drastically) and health issues.

Less is more with food for Boa's.

I have a female BCI, Behira, who will be two years old in June. She's about 3 1/2-4FT and weighs about 805 grams before last feeding and empty. She eats small rats currently, and is fed every two weeks. I will got to every three weeks when she's on medium rats, and every 4 weeks when on large rats. Females, as adults, need to eat a little more than males as adults.

A lean and strong BCI is way better than a heavy BCI.

Also, if you haven't fed a boa before, they have a very strong food response.

Anyway, I rambled here, but feel free to ask anything.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (07-07-2018)

Thanks

I've had boas before, and in terms of personality they're my absolute favorite snake. Rest assured he'll be well cared for, and fed appropriately.

However, I'm still interested in finding out his locality. The man I'm getting him from didn't provide much information about where he got the snake, but does say he owns Lugwrench's brother as well. He might be a breeder, maybe a collector, I won't know, but he just never answered my questions about species and didn't state it in the listing for the snake.

The main thing making me lean BCC is that head shape Lugwrench sports. It's far more arrowhead-like than any BCI I've seen (and I've owned a few - granted, solely Columbian Redtails) but maybe it's just because he's young? Are you sure he's a BCI? Even with having owned them and reading countless supposed "how-to's" on how to tell the difference, nothing really came of it and I'm stumped. And, I should note, the lighting in the pictures is poor and he's far less yellow than that. He's a warm grey brown. I'll include more pictures below.

My question about what he is isn't really based in size. I can accommodate a big boy just fine. I just find it interesting to know what specifically my animals are, given most of them come from people who don't know.

So far as jungle goes, I agree that he's not likely one at all. He has SOME aberrant patterning, but it's so dilute and unnoticable that I'm not confident he's a jungle.

Here's his IRL colors.

And here's the most prominent "aberrant" Jungle pattern I could find in the pictures I was sent.

Last edited by djinnfriend; 04-28-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Okay, cool, so you know what you are getting into.

I believe, and am witnessing with Behira, that the head gets more arrow shaped as they mature. She's just starting to get an adult head with stronger angles.

I'll let others here who have BCI's and BCC's chime in on whether he could be a BCC, but I am guessing not and that he is a BCI.

Either way, good luck with him and keep us posted!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    There is no morphs to a BCC unless it is a mix. There is aberrant patterns to pure BCC but if he was sold to you as a jungle, then its a BCI.

As for his head, it actually looks more BCI to me. BCC tend to have a more slender longer head but that isnt a telltale sign. And aberrant patterns doesnt mean jungle. You pics arent clear enough to tell but one telltale sign to a jungle is the big color difference between the sides and top. Jungles will have a very light buckskin color to their top starting at the tail. They can also have a broken head spear and holes in the spear but again, those things dont mean a jungle.

He could have jungle. Only real way to know is to talk to the breeder but i can tell you that that snake is not a BCC. But to me, he looks like a common boa aka BCI. Here is my pure Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname from 2 parents straight from Gus Rentfro's 2006 litter. You can see the head shape as well as the tail color.

Last edited by Sauzo; 04-28-2018 at 02:33 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-07-2018),GpBp (04-28-2018),Hmoore1984 (07-07-2018),PokeyTheNinja (07-07-2018),richardhind1972 (04-28-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Nice looking boa,as already said definitely not a bcc, I would say bci ,if it is a jungle then it's a very low expression one,

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-07-2018),PokeyTheNinja (07-07-2018)

Thanks

I'm still in the "reading as much as I can" phase as far as boas go, but I've read that the shape of the dark saddles can be a good indicator. Lugwrench looks like a BCI with the smooth saddles, compared to the spikey saddles in the picture of the BCC. I don't actually own a boa yet though, so maybe someone else can confirm this.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elleon View Post
    I'm still in the "reading as much as I can" phase as far as boas go, but I've read that the shape of the dark saddles can be a good indicator. Lugwrench looks like a BCI with the smooth saddles, compared to the spikey saddles in the picture of the BCC. I don't actually own a boa yet though, so maybe someone else can confirm this.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
    Lugwrench deffo looks like a nice bci to me and as you have said most bcc have the bat type saddles and generally a great tail colour not always(good ones anyway)in contrasts to there body

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Looks like a low expression jungle Bi (Bci) to me
    The perfect circle in the head spear says jungle*, the pattern and color do not (at least from that photo). Check if the eyes have a slight reddish hint on the top half as another marker.
    Enjoy your lil boa!

*edit to add - normals can also have this, but jungles almost always do
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 07-07-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    For the Horde!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (07-07-2018),richardhind1972 (07-07-2018),Wayneh (07-08-2018)

Thanks

Long time no see, but Lug has grown incredibly in the time I've had him and also, he has no reddish tint in his eyes at all. Also, siblings love him. He's a great boy and he tamed down immediately.

Also, here's his growth. Was in a sweaterbox when I picked him up, fit in my two cupped hands, and now he's as long as I am tall!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djinnfriend For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (03-22-2019),JRLongton (03-22-2019),richardhind1972 (03-22-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast