Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

0 members and 3,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Desert Ghost Variations

I've been doing some research on the "Desert Ghost" gene and I'm at a loss. If you search for DG on the morph market, it'll pull up animals that look tan/brown and others that look almost Axanthic. I understand each individual animal is unique, but I've never seen such drastic changes in a single gene.
    Are people confusing "Desert" and "Ghost" for "Desert Ghost" or are these colors the variance of the same gene?

Thanks

Re: Desert Ghost Variations

Definitrly not the same.

Desett ghost is a recessive gene

Whereas desert is a dominant, but also a gene that has fertility issues with the female.

Best not to mix those up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoren View Post
    Best not to mix those up.
    Totally agree, but my question was referring to the variations in the "Desert Ghost" gene.

Thanks
    Sure they weren't het desert ghost?

A real desert ghost has an axanthic or really clean pastel look to them.

That being said, there are crappy examples of every morph out there, so I don't see why this one would be any different.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

There are a variety of them, like most morphs. Just a “regular” ghost morph has multiple colors and shades too! I can sometimes not even identify a ghost morph because of the variety.
    Desert ghost is a little easier to ID, but still a variety.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Jaust (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    There is variation in all morphs but imo most of what your seeing is pictures that have been taken with different lighting or even photo editing. You can have the same snake look unlimited different shades depending on lighting and photo editing. This is the worst part of buying a snake based on a picture, you have to hope it shows it accurately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I totally agree with you, there are huge variations in the Desert Ghost morph. I have a male Pastel Desert Ghost and a female Pastel Spider Desert Ghost, they are so bright yellow you almost need sunglasses when you open the tubs! I've also seen the same exact combos really browned out. I'm pretty sure there are several lines of almost every morph, it's the same with Pastel, some are real bright and some are washed out. The other day I saw a Super Orange Dream that was made from a high contrast line and a low contrast line. Even though it was a super they said that half the babies would come out bright and half were washed out, I thought that was interesting...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Jaust (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaust View Post
    I've been doing some research on the "Desert Ghost" gene and I'm at a loss. If you search for DG on the morph market, it'll pull up animals that look tan/brown and others that look almost Axanthic. I understand each individual animal is unique, but I've never seen such drastic changes in a single gene.
    Are people confusing "Desert" and "Ghost" for "Desert Ghost" or are these colors the variance of the same gene?
    Just like with most multi gene morphs, you have some combinations that will change the "base color".

For example, a single gene Desert Ghost is already an absolutely STUNNING animal. The base color ends up a blackish/dark greyish charcoal color while the tan is bright/a almost yellowish bright beige. As with all Desert Ghosts, the colors stay clean and actually get better with age.

Now...if you combine that with pastel, those colors POP. You still get the black/grey undertone, but the yellow intensifies. The yellow reminds me of a highlighter yellow, its a neon glowing whitish/bright yellow. It gets brighter and lighter in time. Some greyish spots might get peppered over the lighter areas as the animal ages, but that takes nothing away from the intensity of the contrast and beauty.

However, if you then throw in animals such as butter/lesser, that tend to have a brown undertone (rather then black/grey) the Desert Ghost gene cleans them up and britghtens them, but the tones continue more in the brownish color range. Because that is what you are working with. It makes them "better" , plus they get better with age, clean, contrast, popping. But the base color is different. No less stunning, though.

Desert Ghost can be and has been added to many other genes and multi combos, they WILL look dramatically different from one another at times. But what happens is that it tends to clean up those combos, better the contrast, make the colors POP and make them grow up BETTER rather then muddy up like most other multi genes will do.

Here you have a 4 gene animals, Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost (Pastel Pinstripe Enchi Desert Ghost)
    Very difficult to photograph, in person that yellow is so highlighter intense it seems to glow from within. Almost like a black light effect. But you don't have much dark color, so the extreme contrast with the charcoal color is not apparent in this multi gene.

Here you have a Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost. Tons of contrast left. The yellow being a bright highlighter yellow. However, instead of charcoal / black back ground you have a softer one, almost more brownish. Still breath taking, imho

Here you have the typical look of a Desert Ghost, with the Pastel added to bring it up a notch. You almost need sun glasses, the brightness and contrast is insane. For a 2 gene animal, you just about have one of the most beautiful BP's there are. I get the most compliments on this snake. Like all Desert Ghost, only gets better with age. Highlighter yellow and nice black/charcoal back ground. Pastel Desert Ghost. She made it on the local news on "Pets Day"

This is my hardest to photograph snake. His colors are INSANE. Does NOT show up on pictures. He glows. He is luminous. None of the darker (either brown or charcoal) background left. But he would have had a brownish one, due to the butter gene. He will look almost purple at times, then again a lavenderish grey. His yellow is crazy. Like highlighter on crack. Again, I can't get it to show on pictures, you will just have to take my word for it. But again, a very different look. 4 gene animal, Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost

If you want the classic Desert Ghost look, the extreme contrast and clean-ness, just get a 1 gene animal. They are STUNNING. If you want that intensified, get a Pastel Desert Ghost. Imho for the price that is THE most gorgeous snake you can get nowadays and it will look just as impressive (actually more so) as a adult, then it will as a hatchling.

Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-28-2018),artist&writer (04-29-2018),CALM Pythons (04-28-2018),Jaust (04-30-2018),tttaylorrr (04-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    To show off what Desert Ghost can do:

Here you have a Pinstripe Ball Python

Here you have a Pinstripe Desert Ghost Ball Python. Nothing else added but the Desert Ghost ...

These are ALL Desert Ghost, but different genes.

Caramel added, and in one of them Caramel and Spider. The other one, just the Pastel Desert Ghost. So..some more brown based, then grey/black. Yet, STUNNING, the lot of them!! (pic Craig Ross)

Desert Ghost is an amazing gene to work with. And who wouldn't like ADULT Ball Pythons to look stunning, rather then just the hatchlings..
    Last edited by zina10; 04-28-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-28-2018),CALM Pythons (04-28-2018),Jaust (04-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    To show off what Desert Ghost can do:

Here you have a Pinstripe Ball Python

Here you have a Pinstripe Desert Ghost Ball Python. Nothing else added but the Desert Ghost ...

This. I just bought a 0.1 Pin het DG, and a 1.0 Pin DG and they look identical to the ones above. After purchasing, I did more research and saw the charcoal/axanthic looking beauties and was wondering where that coloring was in my new additions!

Thank you and everyone else who took the time to explain, I never thought one gene could change so drastically but still keep core traits (better with age, defined patterns,etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast