Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,041

1 members and 2,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Brand new to snakes

Hi there. I am brand brand brand new to snakes. I mean, we have lots of snakes in our backyard. Garters, milk, and Massassauga rattlers. And I am charmed every time I am fortunate enough to see one. But a month or so back, we found a garter in our house. Guess he found a way in for the winter. I live in Ontario, and the winter has been a harsh one this year! We caught him and my husband put him in a pail. I did some quick Google research, that recommended trying to get him to brumate (not sure if that's a word! LOL I only see reference to brumation.) Anyways, put the pail down in our cold room, thinking he'd go to sleep and we'll release in the spring. HAHA that's how much I knew/know about snakes! When I came downstairs next day, of COURSE the pail was empty.

Well, about a week later, he showed up again upstairs. So now I have him in a very big and deep box that he can't get out of. He won't be "bromating" because he's upstairs. I have put in the box some simple "homegrown" hides, put some branches in there, and a bowl of water. He's been checking everything out. I even bought 3 feeder minnows for him at a local pet store, with a cheap plastic fish bowl, because apparently that's what garters eat (among other things that I don't have access to). The fish haven't been touched, although he did dip into the fish bowl, so I know that he knows they are there! I can't wait for it to be warm enough so I can release him back to his natural habitat.

In the meantime, I have talked my husband into getting a pet snake. I had a real struggle deciding between corn & BP, but BP finally won. I just like the thicker body they have. My son-in-law's best friend used to breed both corns and BP's, so I've had the opportunity to handle both. I am getting a BP from him probably in the next week or 2. He's also giving me a terrarium (32" x 18" x 18") for the snake. I know it's a female, and I've already named her Alice. I am just waiting for a table to be delivered, where the terrarium will sit. I am expecting it to be delivered by tomorrow (hopefully). Once I have that, I will go and get the terrarium and get it set up before I go back for Alice.

This is all so new, and exciting to me. I am happy to be part of this group, to learn things that I will need to know, and to ask questions, should any come up.

Thank you so much for being here for us newbies!

Mary

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rottn For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (04-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Brand new to snakes

Welcome Mary! This is a great forum, I've gained so much knowledge being here and glad that you are too.

Rule number 1 (apparently): Post pics! Lol, that is just me being selfish.

Definitely check out the stickies in the Husbandry section, lots of useful info on how to get things right. If you have any questions, just ask!

As far as the Garter snake, super cool story. Don't have any experience with Garters myself, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with suggestions.

Again, welcome to the forum, can't wait for more on Alice!
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    welcome to the forum, mary!!!

snakes are such fascinating animals, aren't they? i rarely got to chase Garters as a kid, and my first ball python was only the second snake i had ever held; i held my first ball python ~7mo. prior to having my first snake arrive.

before your new beep comes home, be sure to read the ball python care sheet as well as this thread to learn how to set up an enclosure (you can view the pics that are down in that thread here).

reading through both those posts will help you better understand what makes a happy beep. if you have any questions on those posts or want some clarification on anything, don't be afraid to ask; we're here to help!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-26-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: formatting/grammar
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Nightcrawlers.... the kind they use for fishing, back when I kept garters it was their absolute favorite thing to eat, and would never turn them down.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rottn View Post
    Hi there. I am brand brand brand new to snakes. I mean, we have lots of snakes in our backyard. Garters, milk, and Massassauga rattlers. And I am charmed every time I am fortunate enough to see one. But a month or so back, we found a garter in our house. Guess he found a way in for the winter. I live in Ontario, and the winter has been a harsh one this year! We caught him and my husband put him in a pail. I did some quick Google research, that recommended trying to get him to brumate (not sure if that's a word! LOL I only see reference to brumation.) Anyways, put the pail down in our cold room, thinking he'd go to sleep and we'll release in the spring. HAHA that's how much I knew/know about snakes! When I came downstairs next day, of COURSE the pail was empty.

Well, about a week later, he showed up again upstairs. So now I have him in a very big and deep box that he can't get out of. He won't be "bromating" because he's upstairs. I have put in the box some simple "homegrown" hides, put some branches in there, and a bowl of water. He's been checking everything out. I even bought 3 feeder minnows for him at a local pet store, with a cheap plastic fish bowl, because apparently that's what garters eat (among other things that I don't have access to). The fish haven't been touched, although he did dip into the fish bowl, so I know that he knows they are there! I can't wait for it to be warm enough so I can release him back to his natural habitat.

In the meantime, I have talked my husband into getting a pet snake. I had a real struggle deciding between corn & BP, but BP finally won. I just like the thicker body they have. My son-in-law's best friend used to breed both corns and BP's, so I've had the opportunity to handle both. I am getting a BP from him probably in the next week or 2. He's also giving me a terrarium (32" x 18" x 18") for the snake. I know it's a female, and I've already named her Alice. I am just waiting for a table to be delivered, where the terrarium will sit. I am expecting it to be delivered by tomorrow (hopefully). Once I have that, I will go and get the terrarium and get it set up before I go back for Alice.

This is all so new, and exciting to me. I am happy to be part of this group, to learn things that I will need to know, and to ask questions, should any come up.

Thank you so much for being here for us newbies!

Mary
    Welcome. Some good reading on garter snakes..... http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Gart...ke-Care-Sheet/ That way you can care for him a bit better till winter ends.

Photos are not optional (I use Taptalk app to post photos) .... LOL.... ok they are but they are not. hehehehehehe....

Gratz on getting ready for the BP that is on the way. Read the sickies as advised...... (no longer a noob myself here)... hehehehehe..

Welcome again.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 04-26-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! I have been reading a lot about the BP's. I've read care sheets. I went through the "how to set up enclosure" post several times already. lol Thanks for the link for the pics though tttaylorrr! I was disappointed that a lot of the pics weren't there. This is great!

Going to pick up the terrarium tonight. Will get it set up this weekend, and make sure everything is good before bringing Alice home.

I'm going to my local pet store to pick up some substrate at lunch today. The guy I am getting Alice from uses coconut fiber. He says this substrate is good because it helps to keep the humidity stable.

Getting close! And getting excited although a bit nervous. I plan to feed F/T, but I have never in my life yet had to deal with this sort of thing. I've looked at pics. I've watched vids. I think I'll be ok, but I just don't know how I'm going to feel my first time, when dealing with a thawed rat. I do think rats are beautiful and smart animals, so it might be a bit (a lot) hard in the beginning. I also do understand the "circle of life", so I think that's why I'll be able to deal with it.

I'll try to get a pic of Alice while I'm there tonight.

BTW thank you for the tip on the night crawlers, Alter-Echo, for Timmy (garter snake). I will check at the pet store to see if they have any. He still hasn't touched the fish. I don't want him to starve before he gets released! I hope the night crawlers will entice his appetite.

Mary

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rottn For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-27-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

It is garter snake breeding season right now.
    You can probably release 'Timmy' back outside on any mild morning (since you live in Southern Ontario).
    As for keeping it as a pet: You might have one that has imprinted on amphibians.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since other pepole answered you, I'll simply say welcome to the forums.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    If the pet shop doesn't have nightcrawlers, any baitshop or fishing tackle shop worth it's name will have them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    You got some solid advice and some warm welcomes, welcome to the forum!