Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,349

3 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Heating choices

Thanks

Heating choices

Hi guys, just wanted some opinions here. I'm working on deciding what I'm going to order as far as lifetime caging. AP's for sure, but deciding on heat sources for the BP and the BRB. Originally was planning on using heat tape and a Pro Products RHP for ambients with the BP, and just a RHP for the BRB. Room temps are usually 70-72 degrees. However I had a conversation with Bob from PP at the White Plains Expo this past weekend, and he was pretty adamant that under tank heat is useless, not UL certified, snakes have evolved to absorb heat from the sun and not belly, blah blah and I should use strictly RHP's without the belly heat. Now I'm thinking of only using RHP's. Plans are for 2 T10's, one divided for now. Thoughts/Experience/Help?
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i get the 'they evolved to absorb heat from the sun and it's more natural that way' argument, but snakes live in holes in the ground and are often found w/ parasites also in their natural environment. Lol that doesn't mean they need all that stuff in their enclosures as wee keep them as pets. we give our animals an advantage and the best lives possible compared to their wild counterparts. that means safety, security and the best husbandry including belly heat as needed.

anyways i don't even think Pro-Panels are UL certified either. there's a whole thread in the QT forum about Bob's rage against non Pro-Panel products: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-now-anti-UTH-! (u will need to ask a mod or admin to grant u permission to QT) there's more than one way to achieve ideal husbandry and folks will use what is best for their animals.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-25-2018),MissterDog (04-25-2018),Sonny1318 (04-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    As the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I don't really understand the rail against UTHs -- they don't typically work in setups with deep substrate layers or bioactive vivariums, but they do similar work to what a RHP does. Only, the RHP modifies air temperatures as well, not just a single surface. A RHP will heat up the area below it, creating a basking spot, or an area that provides belly heat. Same thing. One's out in the open preferably over a rock or other surface that can absorb a decent amount of heat (RHP), while the other can be placed under a hide and heat the hide's bottom, and probably some of the air inside it as well. Snakes absorb heat no matter which direction it's coming from -- just like if you have car seats that warm up, you'd absorb that heat too (and dang does it feel good lol).

For your specific room temperatures, you'd definitely need some way to raise the ambient temperatures (RHP). You may find you need the UTH, or you may not. I personally would say 'better safe than sorry' and purchase one of each, with the UTH as a back up in case one side is cooler than you thought it'd be.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-25-2018),MissterDog (04-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Ah yes that's Bob for you. He's a good guy and his product is fantastic qaulity but is VERY uh, insistent on how his product is the best there is compared to all other options and you are making a dangerous mistake if you choose otherwise <_<

If you let him he'll write you a novel why all UTH's and competing RHP's are a hazard lol

Personally I've always been a fan of the UTH + RHP combo. Been working fantastic for me and many others who have gone a similar route. I just like being able to control the hotspot without compromising ambient temps.

When I used only a RHP I found my warm ambient temps were getting way too warm for my liking just to get the hot spot I wanted. Especially since I was starting with a 24 x 24 cage (a divided T12) which really didn't give me much room for a good horizontal heat gradient with just the RHP. The RHP itself was practically as big the top cage half so you can get an idea how things get a bit complicated.

Adding a UTH gave me more flexibility keep everything better balanced, and as pointed out earlier it's good to have a back up on hand. Plus you can go wrong with a Herpstat 2 :p

PS. Why is typing on mobile so hard
    Last edited by MissterDog; 04-25-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (04-25-2018),Reinz (04-25-2018),Sonny1318 (04-25-2018),Starscream (04-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    ^CAN'T go wrong with Herpstat 2 omg. Herpstats are your best friend!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Re: Heating choices

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Ah yes that's Bob for you. He's a good guy and his product is fantastic qaulity but is VERY uh, insistent on how his product is the best there is compared to all other options and you are making a dangerous mistake if you choose otherwise <_<

If you let him he'll write you a novel why all UTH's and competing RHP's are a hazard lol

Personally I've always been a fan of the UTH + RHP combo. Been working fantastic for me and many others who have gone a similar route. I just like being able to control the hotspot without compromising ambient temps.

When I used only a RHP I found my warm ambient temps were getting way too warm for my liking just to get the hot spot I wanted. Especially since I was starting with a 24 x 24 cage (a divided T12) which really didn't give me much room for a good horizontal heat gradient with just the RHP. The RHP itself was practically as big the top cage half so you can get an idea how things get a bit complicated.

Adding a UTH gave me more flexibility keep everything better balanced, and as pointed out earlier it's good to have a back up on hand. Plus you can go wrong with a Herpstat 2 :p

PS. Why is typing on mobile so hard
    Lol . Thanks everyone for all the feedback, please keep it coming. If I were to put the heat tape in the center of a divided, where would RHP go (UTH side, middle, etc), or would something like a 35-40 watt take up the whole divided top? Also, what is the consensus as far as the BRB (hotspot 85 max, ambient 80), just RHP or add the uth?
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Most of my caging uses both types of heating while not necessary. I like to give my snakes options.

Half of them rarely use the UTH. The other half use it after eating for a day or two.

When my next cage arrives it with have both types as well. Also at that time I will add UTH’s to two cages with only RHP’s.

Big thumbs up on Herpstats
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-25-2018)