Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,138

1 members and 3,137 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Help with my new proposed set-up please!!

After some more research and reading, it has become obvious that there were a few issues with my first plan for my set-up so am looking for advice about my new plan.

So PCV 36 x 24 x 16 with some kind of heat from underneath. Heat tape vs UTH?
    I would really like to have only 1 heat source if at all possible.
    My house is 68 in the winter.

Opinions about whether I will be able to achieve appropriate hot side temps with heat tape or an UTH alone?
    Trusted brands of these heating products?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    If your house ambient is as low as 68 then you definitely need a RHP or CHE to maintain proper temps all year around. Using only heat tape/UTH generally only works well if you can maintain room temps above 75 at all times, but any lower you really need a second heat source or a heat source that raises ambient temps. A UTH + RHP may be best for you or just a RHP.

As for recommendations there is honestly no beating Pro Products for RHP's!

http://pro-products.com/pro-heat/

Just contact Bob and give him your cage specs and he will match you to the appropriate model that will best suit your needs! Great guy!

As for UTH's I really like Ultratherms
    Last edited by MissterDog; 04-25-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Grammar and I hate my phone
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (04-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Wait I just realized you are in Canada, so depending on shipping costs my recommendations may not be practical. Sorry OP!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    heat tape or an UTH will give u a hotspot but will not help your ambient temps. my concern is that your house is too cold in the winter and i presume that u probably don't wanna leave the heat on all day for a room temp of 80. u would need a radiant heat panel (RHP) in addition to belly heat.

there are experienced keepers that just keep their snake(s) on ambient temps only, so u can get away w/ just using a RHP but be prepared to add belly heat while troubleshooting your husbandry. i think the 80w RHP from RBI would suite u well but u can call them or Pro-Heat/Pro-Panels to further dial in your temps and needs.

Edit: just saw MrDogg say u are in Canada. yep, u can expect tariff and shipping if u can't buy local.
    Last edited by Ax01; 04-25-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (04-25-2018)

Thanks

Re: Help with my new proposed set-up please!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    If your house ambient is as low as 68 then you definitely need a RHP or CHE to maintain proper temps all year around. Using only heat tape/UTH generally only works well if you can maintain room temps above 75 at all times, but any lower you really need a second heat source or a heat source that raises ambient temps. A UTH + RHP may be best for you or just a RHP.

As for recommendations there is honestly no beating Pro Products for RHP's!

http://pro-products.com/pro-heat/

Just contact Bob and give him your cage specs and he will match you to the appropriate model that will best suit your needs! Great guy!

As for UTH's I really like Ultratherms
    Thank you - I was going to go with an RHP but then was told that balls prefer and digest better with belly heat.
    Maybe I need to truly consider radiant heat and an UTH which means my Herpstat Intro + may need to be upgraded as well?

I will look into Pro-Products - thanks for the recommendation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Wait I just realized you are in Canada, so depending on shipping costs my recommendations may not be practical. Sorry OP!
    Don't apologize! My fault - I forgot to mention that aspect.
    I am not so concerned about cost (shipping, import) as I am about getting a good product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    heat tape or an UTH will give u a hotspot but will not help your ambient temps. my concern is that your house is too cold in the winter and i presume that u probably don't wanna leave the heat on all day for a room temp of 80. u would need a radiant heat panel (RHP) in addition to belly heat.

there are experienced keepers that just keep their snake(s) on ambient temps only, so u can get away w/ just using a RHP but be prepared to add belly heat while troubleshooting your husbandry. i think the 80w RHP from RBI would suite u well but u can call them or Pro-Heat/Pro-Panels to further dial in your temps and needs.

Edit: just saw MrDogg say u are in Canada. yep, u can expect tariff and shipping if u can't buy local.
    Thank you very much - this makes sense. I am still looking at the products that are available here in Canada so will just have to figure out whether I need to upgrade my thermostat if I have an rhp and belly heat.